Page 113 of 404 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 4037

Thread: the purple prose of petunia pettigrew page 113

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    *Quickly hugs BloodOrchid before taking up a fighting stance between her and her boogie men* Don't worry, I've been wanting to practice my fighting techniques

Mom used to swear up and down that my pyro tendencies were going to burn down the house. Not a chance, lady, when I had recurring dreams that I died in my bed in a house fire. It makes one far more careful about making sure that things like candles are out. I had that dream so many times, I'm pretty sure that's how I'm going. The wierd part is that I have dreams that, aghm, normal people would probably call nightmares- but most of them had me waking up going "There's got to be a story in there somewhere . . ."
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I play "what if" with Boyfriend sometimes too. He doesn't have much patience for it and usually ends up doing something to divert me from negative trains of thought instead of answering haha. It sounds like you two have a good rapport
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    *Quickly hugs BloodOrchid before taking up a fighting stance between her and her boogie men* Don't worry, I've been wanting to practice my fighting techniques
    wheee!

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I play "what if" with Boyfriend sometimes too. He doesn't have much patience for it and usually ends up doing something to divert me from negative trains of thought instead of answering haha. It sounds like you two have a good rapport
    we do pretty good, i got lucky with this guy

beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    random:

i'm making arrangements to get a cat in the new year. I'm looking at the rag doll, but also still the siberian. I want a retired breeding cat that has low feline l-1 protein. I'm so picky.

I haven't told DH yet how serious I"m getting, so don't tell him.

also, my mom is buying me ikea stuff -- bedding, cushion covers for the chairs, and curtains. Now I'll have to get the kitchen painted and the shelves up -- and then guess what? House will look nice-ish for when my ILs come to tell me how my whole life is crap. I'm not looking forward to christmas. But I am looking forward to Ikea stuff.

(there's no ikea in NZ, and it would have to be in auckland and i need $4m in order to buy the franchise and put it here. Can't wait until I have $4m to do that.)

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    that's not picky, that makes your search even easier because you know exactly what you want
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Teh perfect hypo kitteh...

Ah wantz one!
    Someday... *le sigh*
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Oooh! Sphinx kitties are awesome. It's like cuddling a purring hot water bottle.

My dad has a fat, cranky, elderly Devon Rex who is an absolute attention whore. Damn, I love that cat.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    My friends have two sphinx (luna and yoda), they are so awesome. I love how warm they are!

There are really three kinds of allergies from cats: 1. fur; 2. dander; and 3. (the most common) feline L-1 protein. All cats have feline L-1 protein. It wafts off of them, generally, and sticks to everything, which is why people who are allergic to it often have problems even if the cat is well out of the house -- because it sticks in curtains, carpet, and furnishings long after the cat is gone.

Now, the sphinx is great if your allergy is to fur, not dander or feline L-1 protein. Why? they don't have any fur to shed, really, so it's good to go. But, becuase they don't have fur, they put off a lot of feline L-1 protein, and as such, my DH can't go near them without a reaction!

For people who have issues with cat dander and fur, the devon rex is is a great choice because they have that short, curly fur which keeps their skin from becoming over dry, and their tendency for washing (which all cats have) tend to keep them dander-light. So, a person who has no issues with feline L-1 protein, but issues with dander and fur would do well with this breed.

For people with feline L-1 protein allergies, the real fix is a long-haired cat. For these cats, the long hair traps the protein close to their skin, and then when they bathe or you brush/groom them, the protein is removed from their body. It's less likely to get onto furnishings, curtains and carpets, assuming they are brushed 1-2 times per week.

Likewise, dark colored cats -- of any breed -- produce more feline L-1 protein than light colored cats *and* males produce more than females.

So, if a person has a problem with feline L-1, but not dander or fur, then a light-colored, long-haired, female cat is the best option.

And, I don't have to test the theory. DH loves cats. But, all of the short-haired cats that he's been around in his life have caused him great allergen problems, and even being in a home of a cat that has passed -- sleepingo n a pillow where the cat slept, for instance -- will cause him to have a reaction.

Yet, there have been several cats with whom he's been able to have good relationships and no problems. Fithi, a friend's long-haired, fair-colored (beige and white), female cat was a best friend. He would spend hours with his friend in her appartment, on her furnishings and such with the cat on his lap and even petting her, and have no reaction what so ever. The same was true of SeeMi, a white persian female, and several other cats besides.

The best breed for this allergy are actually Siberians, as they have the longest fur, and they do come in white and light colors. But, the breeder currently doesn't have a retiree available for us (we are not looking for a kitten, as a 17 yr commitment is a long one, but a 7-year one is pretty do-able for us). The rag dolls appear to come in medium and long-fur lengths, so I'm talking to the breeder about it in July when we go to Palmy to visit the friend (and then on to Taupo for a weekend away!).

This will give DH a chance to have some time with the cats, too, and see if he gets triggered by them -- if they produce more feline L-1 than he can handle.

Also, the breeder is at an alpaca farm, so hawk will enjoy himself (though he's not keen on larger dogs, and they have border collies, so he'll be a bit nervous there). But, I think he'll enjoy.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I've read that the hairless kitty breeds are also good for people with Fel d-1 allergies because of their frequent bathing needs. Essentially it's all washed away at least once a week. And many people who start with hairless breed kittens end up with cats who like bathing and just hop in the bath/shower any old time.
    Plus, since there isn't hair for the cat to groom, there is simply less of the protein on them from their saliva as well.

I hold my hopes out.
    I think that they are the most gorgeous kitties.

I actually had a rescued DSH kitten when I was a teen in a fabulous silver/black Classic tabby pattern who would get into the bath with me at least 2-3 times a week, just no stopping him. And I had no problems with allergies from him as he aged and continued to be ridiculous and bathe with me. He was a nut, LOVED to lay IN the water with me.

I've never been tested to see which component of cat I'm officially allergic to. But I react to all cats pretty equally, even my aunts Maine Coon which is supposed to be low Fel d-1.
    If I touch a cat, I do NOT touch me. I scrub up like a doctor about to go into surgery.
    And If I'm staying somewhere that people have cats that have access to beds, couches, etc... lots of antihistamines (pills, eye drops, nose squirts). *sigh*

I should probably stick to dogs.
    Last edited by cori93437; 06-13-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sorry but hairless cats look like a shaved ball sack. There is nothing cute about that. They may be warm, they may be hypoallergenic but when push comes to shove they look like a scrotum. That is all.