Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grief and food page

metalsporks is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Grief and food

I don't know about you but when I'm grieving I tend to turn to food-usually the wrong food. Anyone have ideas or tips on dealing with grief without turning to food?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34085.html

9/6/11: 390.1lbs

5/22/12: 339.4lbs

Goal: 175lbs

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm going through this right now too. My mother is losing her battle with cancer and I am her caregiver. I try to remember that using food as a drug to smother my feelings is not going to help me survive this nor change the circumstances in any way. Even so, I am not always successful especially when hormones are involved. So I just pick myself back up after each binge episode and go back to Primal.

Hang in there.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Sempronia is offline Member
    First. Emotional eating.
    Try to find something that gives you a similar feeling that food gives you. Walking in the sunshine. Playing with a pet or child. A good book. Whatever. Look for activities that initiate emotional response.
    Second. If you are going to use food find primal food that comforts you. I like fried bacon and eggs with a side of dark chocolate. I get that feeling but without the guilt
    It is hard and something many of us battle with. Good Luck.

Pebbles-Thank you. I just wrote about what's going on over in my journal but I've been watching it happen to my grandma all summer and we just got word that she is on her last leg. I've been trying really hard not to binge (not cheat-binge) and have been successful until now. I'm alone int he house for once so I am having to face myself. I can say that the food I'm binging on tastes awful and in the morning I'll be back on the wagon but right now I am just at a loss for how to deal with this all.

P.S. Not to bring my gender into this but it probably doesn't help that it's that time. Since you mentioned hormones and all...
    Last edited by metalsporks; 09-23-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Sempriona-I've been doing that sort of stuff already but it just wasn't cutting it tonight for some reason. I guess a slong as I keep it to this one time only and just jump back on, right? btw-this is why I'm listening to Christmas music when it's 3mo away...

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Can you treat yourself to other things? Splurge on lotions, a massage, new music or books? Something comforting that isn't food? Buy yourself a really soft pair of PJs, make a paleo treat and watch sappy movies?

Blackcat-I would but there is no money for that stuff. There has been very little paleo food since I started so a paleo treat is pretty limited. The only things I've been able to do are watch movies, listen to music, and play with my DD who isn't here right now.

I also wanted to just thank you all for your support. It's nice to have somewhere to go.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalsporks View Post
    Blackcat-I would but there is no money for that stuff. There has been very little paleo food since I started so a paleo treat is pretty limited. The only things I've been able to do are watch movies, listen to music, and play with my DD who isn't here right now.
    Is there a library nearby? Something that you can do that's free that you enjoy? Something that can get you out of the house? Not necessarily tonight, but maybe in the morning? Have a soak in the tub or a hot shower and plan something fun or inspiring?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I may just go take that shower you suggested while planning some sort of a primal treat liek what's been suggested. And I think I need to plan on taking a break tomorrow in between everything (moving and all) to go to the park or the beach.

Thank you all for your advice. You've been very helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast