Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paula's Story on the Blog: I Feel so Divided! page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Paula's Story on the Blog: I Feel so Divided!

Shop Now
    Aww, whenever I see the story like Paula, the part of me became agitated and excited and yelps: Wow, I can do ANYTHING to get those 15%! It looks sooooo gorgeous, it is the way the woman should be. Stop being lazy and glutenous, let's do it!

But then the other part of me reminds myself, that yeah, for me that pretty much means dinner only 4 days a week (non-lifting days), with lunch and dinner 3 times a week to get that 1200/1800 caloric split, and going back to tracking macros, weighing and measuring every bite of food. And, you will REALLY have to eat 1 cup of berries a day and no other fruit.

And, it also tells me, you did all that, and you got nowhere near 15%. The lowest you have seen is 17%, and you felt like you are about to go mad with hunger and faint. And you seem to lose all the muscule, and none of the fat.

Does anybody else feel the same way, like there is a secret to it, and you just can't get it, and you never seem to achieve what others seem to achieve by doing what you think they are doing?

Why is it mentally, I am prepared to sell my soul for 14% body fat, but practically, I cannot manage life and lose further weight? I don't understand how food is more important in the end than fitness for me and I end up eating despite all the resolute determination and meditations on not eating it for hours and hours?

One would think that with all the efforts and self-control that were pumped into getting to 20% and learning to be fit and to eat properly, that final push won't be that big of a deal. And yet it is.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-23-2011 at 04:46 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Goal: Happiness
    Low bodyfat is hard. I'm not saying you shouldn't try it if that makes you happy, but it's a bit above and beyond normal primal.

I don't think it looks all that good. 18-22% looks pretty good on most women.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    I wish I knew the secret too and had that kind of willpower but I don't. I'm not a fitness trainer but instead a desk jockey that works at least 50 hours a week.I like to go out with my friends and drink/eat things that sometimes aren't primal. When I only get 6 hours or less of sleep because I worked overtime I don't feel like waking up early to work out. I don't know what her life is like though. Maybe she managed tgo have a great body while working or raising a family too.Robb Wolf was saying a few podcasts ago how people become obsessed with reaching certain bodyfat percentages but if they're not in some type of fitness profession (trainers, competitors, models..) than what is their reason? If you are slim and fit enough you don't have to push any harder if it's going to make you feel hungry..exhausted..overtrained... etc

My goal would never be to look like her in the last set of pics. I know she's not muscular in it but her older pic WOW! Now THAT's what I'd like to look like. She looks like a VS model.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Leida, that's me in many other areas. But for once, it's not in my personal health and fitness. Coming from a former bulimic, that's something!

Paula worked hard to look and feel the way she wanted to look and feel, while staying smart and healthy about it. Those last pics are her "cut" pics, and she said in the post that she decided not to maintain that extremely low percentage of body fat. She's happy; she's healthy. Rock on!

Paula also A) is a professional trainer and B) has no children. So her body is different from those who A) aren't fitness professionals -- especially those with desk jobs and B) who gave birth to children.

I'm 40. I have an accordion of skin folds on my otherwise flat belly; that's from being pregnant twice. I might lose that eventually; I might not. I'm OK with that. I'd like to lose 2 more inches off my hips, and I'm working on that. But I like my indulgences -- the occasional glass of red wine, and the daily dessert of a serving of 70+% dark chocolate. I eat a little too much fruit and nuts. But hey, I'm much healthier now than I was this time last year. I do cardio 4 - 5 days a week, lift heavy things 3 days a week, do sprints once every 10 days (just started this two weeks ago) and do martial arts 2 - 3 times a week (play time!). I keep an eye on my calories without becoming obsessive.

I'm okay with it taking a while to lose the last little bit I'd like to lose -- and maybe I will do something intense like walk away from the indulgences, scale the fruit back to nothing but a cup of berries, and so forth. But right now, I'm extremely pleased.

From everything that I've read, if you're down to the difference between being fit and being cut (like Paula's last photos), then yeah, what you eat gets much more restrictive. I'm not in that place right now. **Typed after eating a Dagoba dark chocolate bar and enjoying every bite of it**

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    I do cardio 4 - 5 days a week, lift heavy things 3 days a week, do sprints once every 10 days (just started this two weeks ago) and do martial arts 2 - 3 times a week (play time!). I keep an eye on my calories without becoming obsessive.
    That's your problem right there. If you're lifting 3 times a week, you're not lifting heavy enough. Cardio and calories? My rocket scientist friend use to tell me in grad school that people are ready to take over the world until they stumble over their own incompetence. Seriously, you're simply holding yourself back clinging on to CW baggage.

“BODY BY SCIENCE” — ESPECIALLY FOR WOMEN
    Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i love paula's story, but it's not my goal.

i look at her before pics, and i see a woman who looks amazing at 50+. i see her after pictures, and i see a woman who looks amazing at 50+. A different paula may have been happy to go paleo/primal and maintain her body fat percentage or go down one point or two.

you need to decide for yourself what *your* specific goals are and whether or not that is realistic with your specific lifestyle, mindset, etc.

for me, i really don't want to be that lean or look that way. it's not a criticism of paula -- i think she looks fab and i applaud her efforts, her results, and her general paula-awesomeness! It's just knowing what I want for myself.

For me 18-19% body fat is good. It's easily attainable and maintainable. I can comfortably follow the blueprint, comfortably have exercise in my life (eg, i don't have to calorie count, i don't have to worry about whether or not i'm working out enough or even how -- i can focus on it just fitting in as i want it to fit in).

For other women, this may b e at 20-22%, and for other women, it could be 15-17%. People are different. and I think it's great to have goals to go to a certain leanness, so long as that is realistic for you, your body type, and your lifestyle.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I know that I will never look like Paula, because I never looked like Paula - I had never had the bdy she sported at 16, and I am 5'7" and 125 lbs, with my BW and BF% the same, when she is 3" shorter, so she is definetly more muscular. But I really wish I could see what MY 15% look like and without scarificing upper body muscular mass! That's if I could do it magically without counting calories and staying reasonably full and not counting every slice of apple that passes my lips. Blooming crazy.

I made a little promise to myself to not cut my hair until I get under 18% BF, so now it is getting deuced unfomfortable

That's your problem right there. If you're lifting 3 times a week, you're not lifting heavy enough. Cardio and calories? My rocket scientist friend use to tell me in grad school that people are ready to take over the world until they stumble over their own incompetence. Seriously, you're simply holding yourself back clinging on to CW baggage.
    Both Paula and Stacey, the women whose results are absolutely incredible lift at least 3x a week. Never seen a woman who looks like Stacey and Paula and did it by BBS. One day those BBS vidoes plug-ins will irritate me enough to watch one of them, but the persistency by which the same video seem to be posted in every post with questions really turns me against them by some reason.

I do Madcow schedule 3x a week, and it has one day of light squats. My lifts are around body weight on sqt, and all other lifts are always were progressive overload pushing myself as far as I can go that cycle+ I am starting to break down my KB session and add it to my lifting session as support (I love KBs). When I am in a load protion of my cycle, I whipe myself out completely, I can't do sprints. Once I am in deloaded part, I will do sprints again.

It's kindda funny, you go and do interval training with 10 lbs dumbells, and you are told, "Not Heavy Enough". So you go unbder barbell and squat your body weight. And they tell you "not heavy enough". While the second half of the posters start posting links to the "anxious females who do too much & should do less, and eat more and their weight will drop off magically. " And you try it too, and it doesn't fall of magically or melt anywhere. Paula is probably a super-rare example of someone who ate too much, most women I know are in 1500-2000 calories range, desperately trying to stick to 1200, heh. I ate 70% from carbs, and 70% from fat. I ate 1400 and 2500. I was ovio-lacto. I don't do dairy any more. I ate 8 meals a day, and I fasted. I looked at raw and vegan and Atkins, and drew a line on trying those ones.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-25-2011 at 06:12 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Both Paula and Stacey, the women whose results are absolutely incredible lift at least 3x a week. Never seen a woman who looks like Stacey and Paula and did it by BBS. One day those BBS vidoes plug-ins will irritate me enough to watch one of them, but the persistency by which the same video seem to be posted in every post with questions really turns me against them by some reason.
    Ignore good information, then say "well, that's not my goal..." Sounds like sour grapes. To each his/her own.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    I don't recall saying that I have a problem. I'm currently doing weight machines three times a week, but I'm starting CrossFit in a couple of weeks; my on-ramp sessions begin mid-October, so I'm planning on quitting my gym at that time, and I'm positive my Lifting Heavy Things will change, as will my cardio.

And yes, cardio and calories; I move at a moderate pace (that would be the cardio) 4 - 5 times per week for 30 minutes a day, which neatly falls into Mark's suggested 2 - 5 hours a week. And calories are to simply monitor to see where everything is going; some days are higher in calories than other days.

I don't appreciate you suggesting that I'm being incompetent, let alone holding onto "CW baggage." Frankly, in the 6 weeks that I've been primal, I've felt better than I have in years.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i have probably been 15%. I was five seven, 118 lbs, lifting 135 (squat and deadlift) and beyond (i think my PR was around 150 before i shifted focus), and vegan and triathlon training at the time. I also did hot power yoga. I never counted calories, but i made sure i was eating diverse foods and eating when hungry and heating plenty of fat. i was a size 0-2 as well.

i'm currently a size 4, 128 lbs (as i managed to weigh myself on my friend's scale the other day), and the same height. i'm primal, not lifting heavy (other than yoga/body weight stuff), and doing my normal movement. I'm adding in roller derby, and possibly weight training.

it is likely that i'll stay between 125 and 130 because i feel comfortable and easy there. i'm happy with my body composition, weight, etc, and feel no need to be leaner.

i know that i could be, and it would be no big deal to get there. i'm not sure what i would do, other than lifting heavy (which i only ever did twice a week), and then doing sprints (swimming in my tri-training), and then long-slows (runs and bikes -- i just liked to put in comfortable miles). plenty of sleep. lots of fun (yoga is play for me).

i think with derby (sprints) and lifting plus yoga, i might risk getting leaner than 18% again, but i'm not gunning for it.

and i don't really care.

so, IDK. i think it is possible at this height/weight to put on muscle and such.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast