Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Paula's Story on the Blog: I Feel so Divided! page 4

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think that 18-22 % is when a woman looks good in clothes, but the swimming suit requires less fat to start looking good because it shows all those small rolls that the approriately chosen clothes hide easily...

Paula is actually an exception imo, because her body fat is relatively equally distributed. Staci is more typical in her before's than Paula in how women usually carry fat.

I am one of the females that stores body fat in that one cursed area - and the 19% I have now doesn't look good at all, I look fat in the swimming suit because it is the area that attracts the eye, plus the big muscules there that ironically is the muscule that loves growing on me non-stop, makes it look even heavier, and me - even fatter.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Okay, I listened to both videos connexted to, and you know what they say?

First one says "do not go on treadmills/don't do cardio" and the second one is something rather vague about insuline sensitivity and how you can't drop fat using simple "in vs out", i.e. you cannot run the calroies out. I think we all here past the point when we have to be explained that.

So, I am sorry js, but can you elaborate PLEASE just WHY you linked to these blogs based on my OP? Because I am confused.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Okay, I listened to both videos connexted to, and you know what they say?

First one says "do not go on treadmills/don't do cardio" and the second one is something rather vague about insuline sensitivity and how you can't drop fat using simple "in vs out", i.e. you cannot run the calroies out. I think we all here past the point when we have to be explained that.

So, I am sorry js, but can you elaborate PLEASE just WHY you linked to these blogs based on my OP? Because I am confused.
    He didn't post those in reply to your OP but to another poster talking about doing cardio. Strength training is king when it comes to fat loss. Take the example of Staci (find that link on js290's first post on this thread) her entire focus is on getting stronger and nothing else. She eats paleo but at a higher meal frequency than most here do (in other words, she doesn't fast and eats pretty often) but it's all for the purpose of lifting more weight. I bet her metabolism is so fast from the lifting that she's able to "get away with it."

Shift the focus to getting stronger through any method desired. I don't partake in barbell training, simply don't enjoy it as much, so I'm trying to get stronger in other ways. Perhaps I'll find my approach is flawed in the long run and switch to barbells, but for now I'm doing what I enjoy and seeing good progress. You don't have to be an imitation of someone else, but you can borrow from them, what matters is the intensity, not so much the actual method. That's just my two cents.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    I was the one who'd mentioned cardio, which, I suppose, was the catalyst for the thread to derail. Sorry about that! (I want to get stronger, yes, but I also want to be quicker so that I become faster at sparring; doing cardio and intervals along with strength training is working for me.)

Shift the focus to getting stronger through any method desired. I don't partake in barbell training, simply don't enjoy it as much, so I'm trying to get stronger in other ways. Perhaps I'll find my approach is flawed in the long run and switch to barbells, but for now I'm doing what I enjoy and seeing good progress. You don't have to be an imitation of someone else, but you can borrow from them, what matters is the intensity, not so much the actual method. That's just my two cents.
    This February will be 2 years since I started lifting heavy, but, obviously, I got nowhere near Staci. During that time I tried whole food diet, 6 simple rules diet, Anabolic Diet, bulking up followjng sprot's dietician recommendations, "to hell with it all diet" and, finally, Paleo diet. I counted like a miser, and didn't count at all, did running and sprints, and no cardio. I am still the same weight and the same BF as before. The only time I was lower was when I was starved crazy-mad on 70% carbs, 4 runs a week and 6 days interval training on CW and Jillian Michaels. I haven't done vegan or raw so far. Okay, gonna shut up before I put an un-lady like expletive in.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i find these terms like "looking fat" and "fatter" and so on to be *so* relative.

for example, if you put up a picture of yourself in a bathing suit, i would not see a "fat" woman or someone who "looked fat" or whatever.

i wear a bathing suit, and i think it looks nice. So i don't think/believe that one "has to be below body fat % X" in order to "look good in a bathing suit.

I thought that paula looked good in her bathing suit (first picture) and she looked leaner in the second bathing suit/competition suit thingy. honestly, if i saw either version of paula on the beach, i would think she looks nice in a bathing suit.

it's often an "eye of the beholder" thing.

But, you need to create yourself in your own image -- and if that means a lower body fat percentage, then that's what it means.

but for the sake of conversation, i will link this body dysmorphia video on elephant journal: "A shockingly sad video." (Heartbreaking) | elephant journal

it basically demonstrates my point that often what another sees vs what we see in the mirror is completely different. Watch the first one, the second one made no sense to me.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    also, thanks for saying that i "look good in clothes" but look fat in bathing suits. that's really good for my head, which can't go near a scale without being freaked out, and it just goes to show that i'm continuing to be judged over and over even though I'm a very healthy weight/height/body fat precentage.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    it basically demonstrates my point that often what another sees vs what we see in the mirror is completely different. Watch the first one, the second one made no sense to me.
    This cannot be stressed enough. I think it's important to have some sort of independent objective measure and leave it at that. When my blood pressure and other medical numbers are in normal range and I am strong enough for a pull-up at whatever weight I am I'll be happy. If I have abs at that point, fine, if not that's fine too. I already look pretty good in clothes.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

My medical numbers were just fine all my life, and I can do chin-ups and pull-ups. 15% BF sounds like an independent objective measure. Being a strongwoman is not my wet dream. Having slender, muscular body with a balanced upper and lower body is. I want people take one look at me, and think: Oh, she is buff! rather than, Okay, she is not (that) fat.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-27-2011 at 12:17 PM.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Being a strongwoman is not my wet dream. Having slender, muscular body with a balanced upper and lower body is.
    When you realize those two are the same, you'll have your moisten dream.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast