Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who works out fasted? page

NowhereMan is offline Senior Member

Who works out fasted?

Primal Fuel
    Not sure if this belongs here or in nutrition, I think it could go either way. My question isn't about health benefits though, it's about performance so I'll ask here. I'm eager to try IF and I usually lift in the afternoon but... My schedule forces me to squat heavy in the morning one day a week (Dan John's OLAD). I can't do a different lift on that day and I'm worried about not getting a solid breakfast in beforehand. For those of you that lift fasted, do you find it affects your performance, either negatively or positively?

bjbegoon is offline Junior Member
    My "lift heavy things" happens twice a week. On one of the days I have not eaten in about 22-23 hours and I honestly haven't been able to tell a difference.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    It's all mental, don't go into it with the mentality that lack of breakfast will affect performance, go into it knowing you're going to move that weight. I would advise a higher carb meal the night before, but that's about it.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I first lifted after eating breakfast, then with a scoup of whey stretched throught the workout, and lastly on the cup of coffee. I did it 3x a week, and was happy. Now, my schedule changed (after about 1.5 years of lifting 2 days at 5:30 am and 1 day - at 7 am), and I lift at 3 different times.
    Sunday: 7 am (coffee)
    Tuesday or Wed: ~ 4-5 pm eating a big lunch ~ 1-2 hoursbeforehand
    Friday: 1 to 2 pm light meal beforehand

This Friday I did not have to deal with scheduling changes, so I lifted at 5:30 am, like before the schedule changed, and boy, was it a pleasure!!!
    I am a morning person, get up at 4 am, so this imo defines it far more than fasted state. Funnily enough 1 to 2 pm workout is harder for me than 4 to 5 pm one.

With one exception: lifting fasted is fine, but lifting starved is plain DANGEROUS for me. I got shaky, and very weak and dizzy. Hunger tends to disoreint me.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-23-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I've been lifting fasted for something like a year now. If anything, I think my performance is better when I'm fasted. If you've eaten a good meal within the past 24 hours, you should be fine.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Well considering squatting on a full stomach makes me nauseous, yes I've done fasted squatting. Just deloaded from 320lbs to 205lbs to work on getting below parallel. Performance is NOT an issue.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

BR1986FB is offline Senior Member
    I do. Absolutely love it. Quit eating before 8pm, train at 4am then I don't break the fast until noon. My "feeding" comes from Xtend BCAA's (LeanGains protocol) to avoid muscle loss.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I think you'll be fine.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    I cant believe how much more enjoyable I prefer working out in fasted state, it feels so much better, at first I too thought it would be hard, but its all in your mind
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

JohnnyNull is offline Member
    I tend to prefer to lift or train on a fairly empty stomach. I think it's the smart thing to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast