Thread: Moose.. How to Cook?? page

BNDR is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I got a couple Moose Steaks from my uncle yesterday. Any suggestions on how to cook them? TIA.

onelasttime Guest

Grill them nice and rare...mmmm...

Just let them come to room temp first so they heat through without over cooking or they will dry out.

No Grill. Boo.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Same thing onelasttime said, but if you don't have a grill, in my experience moose is better not cooked on the grill as there's no real fat on the steaks. Instead, heat a cast iron pan with lots of butter, thinly slice some onions, add the steaks, sear on both sides, cook a little longer on the second side, seasoning well maybe add some Worcestershire sauce and chopped garlic right at the end, lots of pepper. Trick is high heat, lots of fat, and quick cooking or the steaks dry out like leather.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

Grind it up and make a meatloaf out of it! Super good.

I grok, therefore I am.

Hmm, all good suggestions, but I don't even think there's a cast iron pan in this house. (I'm staying with friends.) Can I shove it in a food processor?! JK.

onelasttime Guest

You can cook the steak under the oven broiler if you don't have a grill. Just heat the broiler and the pan first, then put the room temperature steak on the pan for 3-4 minutes per side depending on thickness and how done you want it.

You could probably get by with the food processor but the texture is harder to control. I process organs, tongue and heart that way for my dog before freezing it in serving sized supplements to his raw diet.

Mainer is offline Senior Member

My dad just shared a pile of steaks with me from his 800 lbs moose he and his buddy harvested this season. I recommend crock pot, it can be tough at times and this helps break it down. If you must grill or pan fry I have had success with marinating first to break it down a bit. Good luck.

You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I marinated the crap out of it, only I'm pretty sure I did it in a on-primal way - Maple Syrup, soy sauce, worchestershire sauce, honey, tabasco... I threw everything I could find at it, then broiled it for 4 mins. on each side. It turned out fine. I didn't hate it, but I still prefer cow.