Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So question--I've got arthritis and not much cartilage... page

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member

Red face So question--I've got arthritis and not much cartilage...

Primal Fuel
    I do some Yoga and some isometrics, but the sprint isn't going to happen in this lifetime. (I miss it, but there you are.) I lift very light weights, but that's it...any suggestions?

I'm female, 68, and have done Paleo before, loved it, so the diet is no problem!

Grizz is offline Banned
    kate,

Read the book, Wheat Belly by Cardiologist Wm Davis. He blames wheat for all joint pain.
    Low Carb Age Wheat Belly Book Review Low Carb Age

Grizz

Thanks, Grizz, I'll look it up! I've been off all wheat and other grains for a month now, still hurts like crazy...I wonder if it's reversible.

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Milk flares mine almost instantly. I quit grains and tried dairy and got slammed.

According the the Xrays of my knees, there's pretty much only shreds of cartilage left...oddly since I went on Primal, even tomatoes don't seem to cause a problem, and they used to. Haven't noticed any difference with dairy, I'll watch that though, thanks.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    I'm a woman, 54, with bone on bone arthritis of the left knee and moderate OA in my right hand. Three years ago I was on Rx anti-inflammatories and pain meds to control the pain. Today, I am relatively pain free, can walk several miles, and sprint.

Giving up grains and sugar was the final piece of the puzzle for me. I also had to optimize the following:
    1. Vitamin D
    2. Ferritin
    3. Thyroid hormones
    4. Female hormones, specifically estradiol.

How's your inflammation? Have you had hc-CRP tested to see where you level of inflammation is?

No, haven't had hc-CRP, can my regular GP do that? I'm doing lots more vitamin D, no idea what Ferritin is! Thanks...

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
    No, haven't had hc-CRP, can my regular GP do that? I'm doing lots more vitamin D, no idea what Ferritin is! Thanks...
    Yes your GP can order a hc-CRP. Ferritin is the measure of stored iron. Ferritin levels often drop long before other anemia markers do-hemoglobin, hematocrit.

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    In the meantime, I gave my mom some Peaceful Mountain Joint Rescue Gel last week and she is bowled over with how well it is helping her arthritis pain right now. She just had me order 3 more bottles! You may want to give it a try. Sorry I don't have any exercise ideas for you.

Peaceful Mountain Joint Rescue Gel -- 3.5 oz - Vitacost

I just had a blood test 3 weeks ago, wonder if it would have shown up if I didn't specifically request it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast