Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality of Meats page

gsg603 is offline Junior Member

Quality of Meats

Shop Now
    I am a single Mom on a tight budget. I am in the process of trying to find places locally near me where I can buy pastured meat, eggs, etc. However, until I can find somewhere locally and depending on the expense, until I can fit it into my budget, is it alright to eat lean cuts of meat from grocery store? Or should I just wait until I can buy the pastured meat to start PB?

Thank you.
    Dena

Proud Single Mom to Mackenzie

Proud Non-Smoker since 10/29/05

I believe that how you feel is very important to how you look - that healthy equals beautiful.
    Victoria Principal

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    Conventional meat, while not optimal, is good enough.

gsg603 is offline Junior Member
    So it's okay to eat conventional until I can find/afford the pastured meat?
    Dena

Proud Single Mom to Mackenzie

Proud Non-Smoker since 10/29/05

I believe that how you feel is very important to how you look - that healthy equals beautiful.
    Victoria Principal

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely, go ahead and get started on changing your routines and try to stick to lower omega 6 meats like beef and lamb.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Yes, go ahead by all means. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    Yes. You may *not* find a good source of pastured meat. I'm in the boonies of the Ozarks, and unless I want to buy a calf, there's not going to be packaged meat available here at all. Do the best you can!

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    The magic of grass-fed meat is not in the muscle but in the FAT. Get the cheapest cuts of grass-fed beef: the bone marrow, oxtail, knuckle bones, beef fat, and organs. These cuts are so cheap, for me they are about $2-$3 a lbs. Easily affordable for any budget, and some butchers will give their spare cuts away for free (beef-fat trimmings, bones, etc...). You just need to look around.

I can only afford grass-fed steaks and roasts when I get a 1/4 of a cow order.
    Last edited by lizzychan5; 09-23-2011 at 02:16 PM.

colejames is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzychan5 View Post
    The magic of grass-fed meat is not in the muscle but in the FAT.
    Exactly. The reason grass fed meat is superior is because of the omega 3 ratio in the fat. There is no omega 3 content in the muscle. What you can do is buy pounds of extremely cheap, lean supermarket roasts and also cheap grass fed fat, tallow, butter, etc and just combine the two when you cook. Boom. Best of both worlds.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by colejames View Post
    Exactly. The reason grass fed meat is superior is because of the omega 3 ratio in the fat. There is no omega 3 content in the muscle. What you can do is buy pounds of extremely cheap, lean supermarket roasts and also cheap grass fed fat, tallow, butter, etc and just combine the two when you cook. Boom. Best of both worlds.
    Yep, precisely.

Caveat: If you plan on delving into offal, it will likely be better to head for the higher-quality stuff. I'm still reading into this, but from what I've seen that's the way to go if you start getting into liver and the like.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    From what I understand, the omega-3/omega-6 profile for grass-fed beef is better than traditional grain-fed, but not significantly. I tend to eat as much of the fat of my cheap cuts of meat as I can (though I tend to avoid dark meat from chicken). I'm guessing it's not a big deal assuming I'm already avoiding pretty much all the worst omega-6 offenders, right? I mean I do take a fish oil supplement but lately I've wondered if it's actually necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast