Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Biggest Loser page

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member

The Biggest Loser

Shop Now
    Y'know--

I know that there is so much about this show that I should abhor, especially since it's so ensconced in CW values for weight loss.

But dammit, I can't help but being ABSOLUTELY addicted to it.

Anyone else?

bjbegoon is offline Junior Member
    I'm guilty. I watch it, I scream at the television, swear I'll never watch it again, and then turn it on the next week. *sigh*

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I know. I watched and thought "too bad they are not being taught to live primally"
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Yep. It's a guilty pleasure.

Anna as a trainer literally made me LOL. Seriously? I'm not sure being a pro tennis player necessarily translates to being able to help obese people lose weight and stay motivated. There aren't many men that turn my head, but that new trainer Dolvett had my eyes bugging out of my head! He can train me any day, CW or not. And I always love Bob and his vegan, tattoo'd self.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i used to watch it, but now i really can't stand it (though admittedly it's been a while since i've seen an episode). it feels like it's all about the drama and the contest, and not really about health. the contestants starve themselves and exercise entirely too much, and the fact that people take off as much time as they do from work to lose weight is simply unrealistic. but, i suppose if it inspires people to look at their lifestyle, then it has some good qualities.

i think a better option is a show called "heavy"...it's still based in CW, but rather than being a competition the show only follows two people who also get counseling, medical follow-ups and home visits. i think a primal show with people eating meat, throwing things and climbing trees would be better, but this show will do for now.

Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    Yep. It's a guilty pleasure.

Anna as a trainer literally made me LOL. Seriously? I'm not sure being a pro tennis player necessarily translates to being able to help obese people lose weight and stay motivated. There aren't many men that turn my head, but that new trainer Dolvett had my eyes bugging out of my head! He can train me any day, CW or not. And I always love Bob and his vegan, tattoo'd self.
    She's AWFUL.

Bob is really incredible at motivating people. That's the thing I really appreciate him. WOE aside, he's just DAMN good at that.

I like the new guy a lot too. He seems like he's got his stuff together.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i used to watch it, but now i really can't stand it (though admittedly it's been a while since i've seen an episode). it feels like it's all about the drama and the contest, and not really about health. the contestants starve themselves and exercise entirely too much, and the fact that people take off as much time as they do from work to lose weight is simply unrealistic. but, i suppose if it inspires people to look at their lifestyle, then it has some good qualities.

i think a better option is a show called "heavy"...it's still based in CW, but rather than being a competition the show only follows two people who also get counseling, medical follow-ups and home visits. i think a primal show with people eating meat, throwing things and climbing trees would be better, but this show will do for now.
    I think you also have to think about audience. Let's be honest, most Americans aren't going to respond to the message that we're preaching here. CW is just too engrained.

If there's something out there that's cause people to have active dialog about their health, and question the way they've been doing things in the past? I'll all for it.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    This show is the reason I killed my television!!! When I found myself shushing my kids and telling them to wait for commercials because I couldn't be bothered to hear what they had to say until I finished watching the 300 pound man cry, I knew something had to change. And fast.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    anyone notice that now that Gillian is gone the gym seems a bit more crossfit-ish?

croí is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    anyone notice that now that Gillian is gone the gym seems a bit more crossfit-ish?
    On that note, a friend at work is just preaching this Gillian chick left and right... yet she can't figure out why she's not losing weight. But when I try to talk to her about Primal and how I've lost 16lbs in 2 months.. she just won't listen. Sigh..

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast