Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almond milk yes or no? page

Monika is offline Member

Almond milk yes or no?

Primal Fuel
    I'm hoping some one can guide me a little here regarding almond milk consumption. I did look for older posts on consumption of Almond Milk and didn't find the answer.

I consume Almond Milk daily (Trader Joe's Unsweetened) . I realize it's processed....and I will start making my own as I have found recipes on MDA...

QUESTION: Can it hinder my progress for optimum health and possible weight loss? (store bought).

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Real almond milk is totally different than what you will find in the store, and amazingly delicious. Unfortunately it's also hard to find, expensive, and extremely perishable.

Personally, I use store-bought "AlmondMilk" (unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze) in the preparation of whey protein shakes. I've cut down on those a lot, but when I was initially losing weight, I had a large amount every day, and it didn't stop me from losing most of my body fat and getting healthy. The carb and calorie count is negligible (it's watered down a lot compared to real almond milk) and the additives, like guar gum and calcium carbonate, are not really offensive. A harmless indulgence, in my opinion. But definitely check the label to make sure they're not sneaking in any potentially bad stuff, like unfiltered water or chemicals you don't recognize.

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    Answer: Yes, it can. But it depends on how much for each individual. Try going without it for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference.

gsg603 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    ...Personally, I use store-bought "AlmondMilk" (unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze) in the preparation of whey protein shakes. I've cut down on those a lot, but when I was initially losing weight, I had a large amount every day, and it didn't stop me from losing most of my body fat and getting healthy...
    What whey protein powder did you/do you use?
    Dena

Proud Single Mom to Mackenzie

Proud Non-Smoker since 10/29/05

I believe that how you feel is very important to how you look - that healthy equals beautiful.
    Victoria Principal

Monika is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimIcy View Post
    Answer: Yes, it can. But it depends on how much for each individual. Try going without it for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference.
    I will try going without it for a few weeks (store bought). But should I also fore-go the homemade Almond Milk for those weeks too?

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I would imagine that it would be exceedingly difficult to milk an almond.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    How to Make Almond Milk - wikiHow

The first google search for "how to make almond milk" comes up with someone who also commented on "milking almonds"
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I say no to almond milk - almonds are very high in omega 6's which are inflammatory and it is a processed food. In primal/paleo, nuts are OK in moderation - like maybe a handful a day - almond milk would be equivalent to a lot more than that.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsg603 View Post
    What whey protein powder did you/do you use?
    I'm not an expert by any means, but the protein powder I initially used was Jay Robb chocolate whey protein isolate. About a year later I switched to my current preference, Pure Power chocolate whey concentrate from Mercola.com, which is made from organic milk from grass fed cows and includes probiotics and chia seeds. It's not as tasty as Jay Robb, which is almost too delicious (uses stevia), but it seems much more nutritious. I've also heard good things about Primal Fuel.

EDIT: regarding fat profile, I estimate that of the 3.5g of fat per serving of Almond Breeze, about 70% is MUFA, 25% PUFA in a 4:1 O6:O3 ratio, so that's about 0.4g excess O6 per serving if you're shooting for a 1:1 ratio.
    Last edited by Timothy; 09-23-2011 at 12:21 PM.

Monika is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I would imagine that it would be exceedingly difficult to milk an almond.
    D~ I'm going to give it one hell of a squeeze!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast