Thread: Cardio Questions page

rcloutier04 Guest

Primal Fuel

Hey guys, I know Mark suggests slow and steady cardio, around 55-75% of your max. Now for me that is roughly 140-160 BPM.

I was just wondering what your favorite cardio type workouts are while living the primal life. In the summer I will definitely get outside and bike/walk/hike/jog/sprint. So what are your favorite/best indoor type cardio. I was thinking about doing some cardio using my heavy bag and boxing

Thanks

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Sprints, Krav Maga training, swimming.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

krisssi Guest

Sprints or heavy bag boxing isn't slow cardio.

I think something like walking or hiking would be more appropriate.

Vick is offline Senior Member

4 x 30 sprints on a stationary bike.

It does the same as 90 minutes worth of jogging.

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

Don't use the term "cardio" please, as its definition has been mangled by conventional use. To me, it equates to 30-60 minutes of running at the same intensity.

Good examples of mark's low intensity workouts are: walking, hiking, ultimate frisbee, etc. (longer duration & lower energy per unit of time.)

Good examples of high intensity are: sprints, weights, tabata workouts, etc. (shorter duration & higher energy per unit of time)

rcloutier04 Guest

Alright, I was just curious because in his sample weekly workout routine, it has interval type work. Tuesdays, Sprints on thursday and long hikes on Saturday with Frisbee sunday. I am just worried about burning muscle while doing Interval type work. I guess I was just confused lol. Thanks for clearing it up.

one_eye_mike Guest

I do spinning classes 3 x 45 minutes a week.

rcloutier04 Guest

Spin Classes are serious lol.

I usually do around 20-30 minutes of Intense Interval/Sprints. I don't have time usually to do long easy walking/hiking/running. Is this going to be counter productive without carbs? Or will it tap into fat stores and spare muscle?

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

rcloutier -

You should read up on the relationship between insulin, growth hormone, and how the body pulls its energy from either carbohydrates or fat (dietary and tissue).

www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Is a good primer to reading about these topics, LOTS and LOTS of information.

Long story short though; when your body has adjusted to burning, primarily, fat as a fuel source (ie: being in ketosis), it will definitely tap into adipose/fat tissue for energy while conserving muscle tissue. This has a lot to do with the body's hormones (which, btw are much more important that *I* ever thought)...

From what I understand, when insulin is NOT present and GH IS present (the 2 are inversely related), your body will protect its lean tissue and seek energy from fat. In other words, weight loss & body composition is 80% reflective of diet and 20% remainder (sleep/activity/etc). At least, my personal experience has reflected this.

I'll try get you some better links to insulin & GH if you want...I've got to start saving everything I read.

rcloutier04 Guest

Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate that. I guess I was once again relating to to high carb CW diet.

I love learning and reading anything diet and exercise related.

Thanks again