Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal newbie from Iowa page

ldygeko is offline Member

Primal newbie from Iowa

Shop Now
    Hi there from the banks of the Mississippi River - well not right on the Mississippi river, but close enough. I had a long post typed up and then lost it, darn it, so I'll try to recreate it....

Your location: Eastern Iowa

Age (If you want): 41

How Primal are you: I'm in transition, I'm working on it - as much as I can be right now....

Do you consume dairy: Yes and do plan to continue dairy.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Either/or occasionally.

Motivator for switching to Primal: A lot of research, a lot of thinking and reflection, and a desire for a healthier lifestyle....

Favorite exercise: Hiking, kayaking

Favorite Primal food: Steak

Best part about being Primal: Steak, Steak, and more STEAK

Worst part about being Primal: No garlic bread. Listen, I'm a recovering carb addict, okay? Recovery is a process and I'm working on it....

Okay, now that I've answered all the obligatory meet and greet questions, let me tell you a bit about the REAL me. I'm 41, happily married to the love of my life, with a 15 year old daughter. My 7th anniversary is this coming Sunday, and we will spend a romantic day putting new rafters and a new roof on the cabin we acquired through a tax sale. (Be still my beating heart LOL!)

Ok, I've been fighting obesity and even morbid obesity (to be technical) for the last 13 years. I've tried every mainstream method, diet, program known to man. Some of them several times. I've lost weight here and there but never much and always managed to put it back on. Then almost a year ago, I discovered the HCG Diet. I'm sure I'll get bashed just for even mentioning it, but hey, it worked to help me lose almost 60 pounds. Listen, I was 289 pounds, could not walk up a flight of stairs or a block without having to sit down, okay? It worked for me and now that I'm 50 pounds lighter, I'm finally to a point where I can begin to work out again and to be honest, it's just too restrictive for me to continue. But I do think of it with great affection because it got me to where I am now.

Where am I now? 235 pounds and finally able to walk several miles instead of several feet. I can't run yet, don't know if I ever will be able to, but I'm gonna keep trying. One common denominator in ANY success I've had over the past 10 years has been with low-carb living. I feel better, look better, and just happier when living a low-carb lifestyle. I love bread and sweets and all the trimmings, but when I consume those things, I bloat, gain weight quickly, feel like crap, and have problems with fatigue and mood swings.

So all of that is WAY more than you wanted to know, right? I am just trying to get it all out there - the journey getting here has made me who I am and while I've got a great life - I know it can be even better.......
    Lady Gecko, a.k.a. Theresa.

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    Hey there Theresa - Happy Friday!

I'm another Iowa girl who just started - well not technically a girl as I turn 41 in a few months, lol. I grew up in Eastern Iowa, where are you at?
    I hear you on the carbs, I love the way they taste, I love to cook them, I love the way they smell....I HATE the way they make me feel - so my problem is definitely taking the time to weigh the deliciousness against the icky feeling I get afterwards!
    pbj - or you can just call me Beth!

Hi, Beth! I was just reading your thread! I'm in Maquoketa, half way between the Quad Cities and Dubuque. I saw on your thread that you're in Ames - I've been there once or twice a LONG time ago. I think the last time I was there was when the Rolling Stones were there in 1989 or 1990. You and I are about the same age, too.

I really need to do the first step of clearing my cupboards, but it's hard when my daughter and husband are still eating the old way...... that alone is going to be a challenge for me.... How about you? What is your biggest challenge?

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    Hey Theresa -

I love Maquoketa, we used to go visit the caves when I was young - My parents still live about 30m north of Manchester so I still go back pretty often - I definitely think that Northeastern Iowa is the prettiest part of the state!

I was at that Stones concert BTW!

My biggest challenge - hmmm...That would be the beer! lol Husb works for a chicago craft brewery and one of my recent acid reflux attacks was after a few of my favorite belgian beers I love beer, ales, lagers, stouts...oh my!

That and the husband and son not wanting to give up carbs... I'll continue to work on them though!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Theresa. I lived in Iowa a couple times years ago, Iowa City and Cedar Falls. Great state, aside from all that dang GMO corn. Friendly people. I hope primal goes great for you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

grovdeksen is offline Junior Member

My news site

After a strong showing at this week's GOP Debate in Orlando, former Godfather's Pizza CEO Herman Cain then joined most of his fellow Republican presidential candidates addressing the Faith and Freedom Coalition and the Conservative Political Action

Hey, Beth! That is SO FUNNY that we were both at that concert. I ummmmm don't remember much of it - that was a long time ago in my party days - ah to be that young again! As for the beer - LOL, I've never really developed a taste for it, much. I think my biggest challenge is ice cream - though I saw a Primal ice cream thread that has some good recipes I'm planning on trying.....

Hedonist - Iowa City is a nice place, very much a college town. Hubby and I are big Hawkeye fans, though haven't seen a game yet this year because of all the work we are doing on our cabin trying to get the roof replaced before bad weather hits! Love your blog - I saw a post by you on another thread and checked out your blog link - very interesting!

Grovdevsen - I'm guessing that with only one post under your belt and the fact that it's about politics and has a link in it - you are a spammer. Wish you'd picked another thread, but I'll be reporting your post as possible spam. If you have something Primal-related to discuss, by all means do so. Otherwise, please keep the rest of the spamming crap to yourself....

Ok, AFM today, got plans to do a lot of "lifting heavy things" - we have to carry out and load 45 sheets of OSB that we don't need for the roof - that should burn some serious calories, right? Oh, and picking up the old shingles from the ground around the cabin and carrying them to the dumpster. I'm just gonna keep telling myself it's all calories burned....... Made a big ol' primal b'fast for hubby and me today - bacon and eggs with onions and mushrooms. Yummmm! Ok, gotta get busy....

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    Welcome fellow Iowan!

labmike is offline Member
    Welcome! I'm an Iowan (transplant from GA) also!

Just curious, how many Iowans here are going to Living History Farms? I'm thinking of getting my Primal Tribe into it.
    Laboratory Mike - laboratorymike.com

Want to find your friends? Try the Primal Living Network

Hi, Mike! I have researched living history farms before, but have never purchased anything from them. It's something I would like to do in future when $$ isn't so tight....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast