Thread: Winter alternative to barefoot walking page

maba is offline Senior Member

For those of you who live in really cold climes, what do wear for walking/running during winter? After being used to barefoot walking, my arches hurt when I wear regular sneakers. I tried walking in my Uggs a few days ago and let me just say, the shoes are still wet on the inside from all that snow.

I remember seeing a thread here on home-made barefoot walking socks. Any such ideas for winter shoes?

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Hmm I don't think isolating your toes from the rest of your foot is a good idea in the winter haha!

Perhaps some sweet mukluks (winter uggs)

Ika
    Ika is offline Member

I wear mukluks (I think the brand is "Tecumseh", they have nice 'gum' style soles that allow you to feel the ground pretty good) for boots and vivobarefoot ankle boots (I think the style is called "dundan"), and they both hold up well to cold Wisconsin winters!

My etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrthForged
    *hand-carved wood and bone jewelry*

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member

Being born and raised in good ol' Minnesota, I've learned that there are just some things that are nearly impossible to replicate during the winter months.

BUT I worked at the local shopping mall last year and I noticed it was a pretty popular place for people to walk in the winter season. This was especially true in the mornings before many of the stores were open, as it was FAR less crowded.

I say, if you have a shopping mall nearby, get up early, throw on your vibrams, and take a few laps!

Kaizen Guest

i'm so glad I don't live up north, walking barefoot or replicating it is not important enough for me to freeze. If you're brave enough to try it out, get some Vibrams (the waterproof ones) along with some Injinji socks. I wore my vibrams (KSOs) for PT once, and I thought "I'll be fine, I just need a good warm up". Needless to say, my feet literally went numb, I thought I was going to collapse every time we did jumping jacks. Felt like I was walking around on stumps. Took a good mile or so of running to finally get the feeling back in my feet.

Mainer is offline Senior Member

I'd agree with the group consensus, there are some things that are not worth replicating. I enjoy the snow by skiing, snowshoeing and occasionally mtnbiking.I kinda think of it as a change of season, something to look forward to when warmer weather arrives.

You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

maba is offline Senior Member

Thank you all for the suggestions. When I said barefoot, I meant barefoot-shoes. Regular shoes make my foot hurt. Can't wait for summer t go barefoot again.

gazb is offline Junior Member