Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iowa girl page

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member

iowa girl

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi there. New to primal (about 5 days in) and enjoying it!

About a month ago I started getting really bad acid reflux, indigestion, and bloating and it felt like my stomach was up in my throat 24 hrs a day. I was completely miserable - but didn't want to go to the doc and get a prescription. I knew I wanted to take care of it myself. I started to wonder if I had a gluten intolerance? - I had stopped most dairy about 5 years ago after a similar bout. With a little research (it's my job ) I landed here on MDA on monday 9/19. That day, I had had my regular breakfast of oatmeal and acid reflux. Ugh - I felt too icky to eat much more than 1/2 a salad for lunch, but the kicker is this: after reading about Primal that day, for dinner I only had the chicken breast and broccoli and let the boys eat the fettuccine (homemade, it was torture not to eat it!) by 10pm, the acid reflux was completely gone, my throat no longer ached and I was sure I was going to get a good night's sleep. I have not had more than 50g of carbs a day since then.

So - since then eating pretty primal, meat and veggies, eggs and a little cheese. And I feel amazing.
    The only times I've had a little acid reflux is after a diet coke two days ago.

Is it too early to experiment with carbs? I realize i'm probably pretty low carb yet so last night with my salmon and greens I had a few of the roasted potatos - probably only 1/2 a medium/small potato as an experiment to see what would happen. I feel a little refluxy today, but that could be the black coffee too.

me: 40 yo, foody, craft beer afficianado, healthy weight and very active (love to run fast and lift heavy things! lol) looking for a way to be healthier and calm down the digestion issues I've had recently.

I'm a research scientist and constantly experimenting on myself so this should definitely be enlightening as I find the best way to eat for my body!

b

jenh is offline Senior Member
    Vernon Hills, IL (Northern Chicago suburbs)
    Welcome aboard! I would wait a little while yet to experiment, but the potato probably won't hurt too much. I do eat potatoes as I do a slightly varied take on primal. BTW, if you're in Iowa - I am jealous as I went to school at ISU and wish I still lived in Iowa...
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

pbj
    jenh - I''m a cyclone too! lol I still live in Ames - it's such a beautiful town, I couldn't leave! The winters can be a little harsh at times and the summers a little humid...
    My experimentation will be ultra slow - i feel waaaay to fantastic now to mess it up!
    Oh, and I took this week off of exercise and plan to put it back in this weekend - wondering if my workouts will suffer without carbs?
    b

Well you are likely still going through carb flu, so it may be difficult to determine whether you'll need more carbs due to low energy or if it'll just be the carb flu...which we all do feel... But it is worth it. At my best, I swear I felt like I could do a rapid walk of a 5k...and thats pretty drastic for me considering I'm a size 20-22W.

Yes, Ames is sooo wonderful! Part of the reason I chose ISU was because of it's beauty and the folks in that town are extremely nice; as is the majority of Iowans. I'm so proud of the football team so far this year. Not to mention the fact that two years ago they beat my hometown, Nebraska Cornhuskers... That was an incredible day for me and I'm sure most Lincolnites (including some I personally know) have forced that day out of their minds because it would be a day of disgrace... But we beat the Hawks...and UCONN...wish they were playing this weekend :-)
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

pbj
    What a beautiful day it is here in Iowa! Woke up feeling fantastic - been following primal mostly, i had a small diet coke at a hockey game last night and only took a few sips before the acid reflux started coming back. Ick. But i did manage to avoid all the other treats ...nachos, popcorn.. yay me!
    My energy is so high eating this way - no more carb crashes.
    I find it easier and easier to NOT eat pasta and bread and such, since they make me feel so awful.
    can't wait to head outside for a run - it's a gorgeous morning!
    b

ldygeko is offline Member
    Hey there, Beth! So glad you're having such a great day - and YAY no more reflux! I agree about the day being beautiful.... The leaves are starting to turn here, it's gorgeous today. Just thought I'd check in with you....

JENH - Aw, man, you had to bring up the Hawk/Cyclone disgrace from a couple of weeks ago..... <sigh> I had almost put that out of my mind.... (Yeah, I'm a Hawks fan!) We almost had you guys in that damn game!
    Lady Gecko, a.k.a. Theresa.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    Welcome fellow Iowan! UNI fan here. Go Panthers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ldygeko View Post
    JENH - Aw, man, you had to bring up the Hawk/Cyclone disgrace from a couple of weeks ago..... <sigh> I had almost put that out of my mind.... (Yeah, I'm a Hawks fan!) We almost had you guys in that damn game!
    Well, my family is in Lincoln, Nebraska so they think it's a bigger disgrace what ISU did to the Huskers in Oct 2009 by beating them *in* Lincoln -1st time I think it was since like 1977. I was STOKED about that! (and that's not a word I would hardly ever use...but I was just soooo proud....) I grew up in Lincoln and know 1st hand what the majority of the residents of Lincoln and the entire state felt. They wanted that day to virtually erase off the history books and hide their heads in the sandpit of shame! I'll root for the Huskers 'cuz that's my hometown, but never if they play each other... The last ISU/Husker game I went to, my family thought I was *INSANE*. I wore my ISU sweatshirt, jacket to cover over it afterwards and a Husker ballcap for "safety" after the game... Mom said she was glad she wasn't going with me since I was dressed like that...I figure I had every right... my alum and hometown... :-) But I have always been unique....so I guess Primal goes along with that...
    My goal pic...

pbj
    mornin'!

I should really start keeping a log of things I've tried that upset my stomach/intestines - an unofficial list of things that I couldn't eat without upset is what led me to primal...

so here it is - unofficially, of course:
    grains - removed all, haven't put any back in yet
    sugar - removed all - don't plan on putting any back in, I may use honey occasionally but I think I was also battling a wee candida infection so no sugar and no grains is fine with me
    diet soda - usually a 3 small (8-10 oz)/ week - stopped completely.
    *when added back in causes acid reflux. Boo
    Dairy - mainly out for the last 5-6 years or so - got rid of seasonal allergies and dairy indigestion. I still have some hard cheeses and Greek yogurt.
    starchy vegetables - removed all originally - I will experiment with potatos (had about 1/2 of a small one - no effects) and maybe corn...love sweet corn.
    coffee - I still have my black coffee in the morning, but less and less. I don't NEED it any more.

Oh, and I tried chinese last night - beef and broccoli, no rice. It tasted awesome, but a little sweet so I probably broke through the carb barrier
    aaaaaand a few hours later it had gone right through - I know TMI, but - lesson learned. I can make it myself!

Sooo, I eat: meat, eggs, yogurt, cheese, and lots of vegetables
    And I haven't felt this good (inside) in years!

Is there a carb reduction euphoria that I might be experiencing?.... it won't go away will it? lol

I had our health screening at work this morning - I'm pretty healthy, though it turns out I could lose a few lbs!
    BMI is a little high and weight is at top of healthy range.
    glucose, cholesterol (s) and trig all normal levels

Oh, and I planned ahead and brought scrambled eggs and sausage for my lunch after the health screen - they offered bagels...ick.

I wouldn't put back in corn - if you're not doing other grains don't put in corn as it's also a grain. contrary to what green giant veggies tell us :-)

I understand the right through thing...I'd get that sometimes before even knowing what my issues were and I think all the docs thought I was crazy. The Gastro told me to up my whole wheat, take Metamucil/citrucil and more veggies. Damn at 32 (now almost 35) I REFUSED to take fiber supplements - frickin' no way!!!!!!!! Not until I'm 75! And I was already doing whole wheat and veggies? WTH? why? they just went right through...and did he seem concerned when I had blood in my stools? Nope. That gastro can shove it.

I'm guessing the chinese may have had some gluten in the sauce - causing your issue...I've heard soy sauce usually has gluten, which one might not suspect.

And if you keep doing primal - the "euphoria" you speak of will continue. You will want to jump around, dance, and have an active life with a beautiful mate! Whooooot!
    My goal pic...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast