Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: iowa girl page 4

labmike is offline Member
    Hi there PBJ!

I'm another guy in Ames, like Barefoot Paul. As he mentioned, we're putting together a Primal Tribe to talk about health and about outreach, and we'd love to ask you more about what you've learned about your acid reflux. Also, since you mentioned getting a professional opinion, I'm not sure if you have heard of the Paleo Physicians' Network, as there's a doctor who teaches Paleo-style healing in Ankeny. It might be worth getting a second opinion from him.

From what I've read on other forums (namely the Robb Wolf forums, as a few Paleo doctors answer questions there), I've heard that the issue with acid reflux is that your body isn't producing enough acid, and the resulting bacteria produces gas which pushes stomach contents backwards. Apparently using and acid supplement (HCl) and probiotics (yogurt, real sauerkraut, etc.) will help immensely. Of course, before doing anything (esp. the HCl) ask a doctor first about dosing or if you should use it. For diet soda... why not try Zevia from Wheatsfield? I don't know if using stevia instead of aspartame/sucralose makes a difference, but stevia is at least a natural product. I personally got off soda by squeezing a lemon into club soda, and drinking that.
    Laboratory Mike - laboratorymike.com

Want to find your friends? Try the Primal Living Network

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    good morning -

Still doing great on primal - what I like about it is I can have potatoes and carrots with a delicious grass-fed beef roast - just keep my portions skewed toward the protein! I have no problem avoiding grains, really... occasionally I wish I could have that pastry/pancake/pasta - but I fill up on protein and vegetables and I don't miss it anymore!
    What I don't like about it - explaining it to people that don't understand why I didn't just go to the doctor for medicine for my acid reflux...they don't get it and I try to explain that I want to HEAL what's gone wrong to cause the acid reflux... the acid reflux and bloating are a symptom of something wrong and I would rather get to the root of what was wrong, than just treat the symptom.. ugh

weight loss - I am 3 weeks in and down 8# all together - which is cool, but I've been so busy that I haven't been able to workout! I think that I could get even leaner when I get back into exercising. maybe tonight I'll head out for a sprint with the puppy - she'd love it!
    eating - still slightly better than 80/20 I think - like last night I had a beautiful steak taco salad - with a half avocado sliced on top....lovely. But I did have a bit of the fried tortilla shell... so yummy!
    exercise - back on tonight!

Labmike - went to your primal tribe website, pretty cool! I like the group food-buying idea, although I'm more inclined to negotiate group rates with farmers instead of one person buying bulk and then selling it to the rest of the group...my personal preference.

Re: acid reflux - I am really only interested in solving my digestive issues with nutrition, so HCL is out of the question. I don't really think it's a lack of acid production issue, actually, since removing grains and sugar made it go away. I do believe I am probably recovering from an overgrowth of candida which exacerbated the problem. It all came to a head one evening when I was having a few delicious craft beers (high gluten content), had eaten really nothing but carbs all day and I could barely swallow the acid reflux was so bad! Now, having cut out grains and sugar - I can have a craft beer or two and not feel any ill effects. Sooo, I'm most likely not low acid production or gluten intolerant, just wheat sensitive and getting over a candida overgrowth which I am treating through nutrition / probiotic yogurt, etc.
    I added in blueberries with my greek yogurt yesterday and suffered no acid reflux or bloating so fruit (a serving or so a week) will be a sweet alternative for me.

thanks again, and I would love to meet more ames primals!!

and for soda, I really feel better not drinking it - it's all about choices for me...I choose water / unsweetened ice tea instead of diet soda because I don't like how diet soda makes me feel! I miss the taste sometimes, but those cravings are certainly going away!

I will look up the paleo friendly doctor in Ankeny - that's great news, thanks!

pbj

BooBear is offline Junior Member
    Hello!
    Just chiming in here because I lived in Iowa (Eldora and Wellsburg) for a while and also JUST started the primal way of life! I am now in Philadelphia area and miss the midwest.
    Your posts are inspiring...... I already know I have a wheat problem. It makes my guts bloat, kicks up IBS, and messes with my hormones in a really bad way. I just got and read the book Wheat Belly and it is quite shocking! Dr. Davis has a nice blog, though not quite as good as MDA of course. I have decided to cut grains and sugar about 90+% of the time and the belly is starting to go down and PMS is going away. I too like the occasional craft beer, we have so many microbrews around here that are outstanding. So....beer....not ever gonna be totally cut!
    Anyway, I am 5'8" and 173 (down from a high of 185). Looking to get to around 145 and see what that looks like. I am so excited to starting up with the primal lifestyle as I am a total carnivore!

pbj
    Boo-
    Thanks for the positive feedback! Eldora huh? my husband is from there...graduated in '88
    I am a complete carnivor as well, which makes Primal pretty easy.

No longer struggling so much with my own decisions - it's trying to convince the rest of my family that I'm not crazy for eating this way and that they should try it instead of popping pills!

pbj

labmike is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pbj View Post
    good morning -

Labmike - went to your primal tribe website, pretty cool! I like the group food-buying idea, although I'm more inclined to negotiate group rates with farmers instead of one person buying bulk and then selling it to the rest of the group...my personal preference.

pbj
    That works fine also. The idea mainly came when Paul and I were discussing the best way to raise money for doing outreach, or buying some common equipment for storing food from a bulk purchase. Since we're getting started, we're very open to doing it differently. I'm planning to meet with Paul on Wednesday at Caribou, and in the future it will be me, Paul, and my wife meeting from time to time. If you'd like, we can keep you posted on tribe meetings if you'd like to come by some time.

Also, do you go to Wheatsfield? I'm writing a lesson plan for a class I'd like to teach there. If I can get it through the management I will be doing a seminar in Jan/Feb on Paleo. Let me know if there's any particular content you'd like to see.
    Last edited by labmike; 10-10-2011 at 07:19 PM.
    Laboratory Mike - laboratorymike.com

Want to find your friends? Try the Primal Living Network

pbj
    foggy today (outside, the brain is pleasantly clear!) which makes the world seem sluggish and I feel like I'm moving in fast forward...it's strange.

eating well continues, no time for exercise last night - but I did boil a ham bone I had frozen from a previous meal for broth / soup, and made mini-egg cups for breakfasts. breakfast this morning was bacon egg cheese scramble and black coffee (1) - lunch : ham and garden vegetable soup, dinner: undecided! snack - plain almonds and full fat cottage cheese

I'm finding myself a little tired somedays - most likely due to diet / not eating enough / too many work hours / not enough sunlight / not enough exercise --- it isn't all the time so some small tweaks (exercising outside and eating more) should take care of it!

pbj

labmike -

I would love to come see your class - or is it for ISU students? I do go to wheatsfield (more now since I'm avoiding gluten and grains)

pbj
    okay - double post today -

fitday analysis, exactly what I expected, totally not eating enough - and this is with a grilled chicken cobb salad added in as expected dinner

Bfast = 2 scrambled eggs, cheese, 1 pc bacon, black coffee
    snack = 10 almonds
    lunch = homemade ham and vegetable soup
    snack = cottage cheese 1C
    dinner = grilled chicken cobb salad

Grams Calories %-Cals
    • Calories(total) 1,180
    • Fat 64.1 568 48 %
    • Saturated 23.3 207 17 %
    • Polyunsaturated 8.7 76 6 %
    • Monounsaturated 24.7 218 18 %
    • Carbohydrate 29.9 119 10 %
    • Dietary Fiber 5.0
    • Protein 120.5 499 42 %
    • Alcohol 0.0 0 0 %

Fat ( 48%) Carbs ( 10%) Protein( 42%) Alcohol( 0%)
    Last edited by pbj; 10-11-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: formatting

pbj
    another happy primal morning!

yesterday was fabulous - eating was great (still too low, but the only side effect is hunger - lethargy is gone) upped the fats, remembering my coconut oil in my morning coffee helped immensely.

last night I could only eat half of my steak (cooked in butter) and all my veggies...avoided the bread! yay! soo the other half of my steak was for breakfast!

One question though - I'm eating till I feel moderately full (I hate feeling full, it makes me ill) but then will get hunger pains before my next meal. do I need a Leptin reset? I have no carb cravings at all - eating no sugar and no grains, no fruit and very little starchy veggies...carbs are below 50g/day....
    for me it's not a big issue, but the hunger pains are a real...pain!

anyway - I'm off to eat the other half of my breakfast

pbj
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

catemarie is offline Junior Member
    Awesome watching this - I'm feeling the same way.

In terms of timing, especially with families around (and especially given cold midwest winters!!) we've found that digging out the crock pot has made a MASSIVE difference. Just about any meat-based stew/soup/casserole can be put together in 15min tops in the morning, usually with minimal fush and dishes to be washed, and then thrown on to cook on low all day.

We're now using it for about 3 meals a week and loving it. It also means that after work time is just 'be together' time instead of 'get changed out of work clothes and try to get dinner ready while we are hungry and just want to chill out for a bit' time. Win win win.

Do a search for 'paleo crockpot' or 'paleo slow cooker' and you'll come up with loads of nice recipes.

Also VERY wallet friendly. There's no point in using chicken breasts in a slow cooker, or high quality steak... this cooking method is born to make all sorts of nice meats ultra yummy and ultra-tender.

Cate

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234