Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: iowa girl page 3

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    good mornin'!

Another happy primal morning - kinda struggling with lack of hunger because I think I should eat more, but otherwise still feeling fabulous... I'm starting to look at it in a different way though: This isn't about weight for me, it's about GI health. I am 5'8", and weighed in about 158 lbs this morning. I think my 'true weight' or the weight my body wants to be is around 145 or so (I'm what is politely called 'big boned, lol), I've been down to 145ish with high fiber, low fat, weight lifting and chronic cardio exercising...and exhaustion, irritability, GI issues, etc. So...cutting out grains / sugars / etc. and moderate exercise is not only making my insides happier, it seems to be guiding my body to a healthy weight and body fat %. we'll see though - as long as I feel this healthy, I could weigh whatever!
    Football game this weekend - it will make eating primal a little harder...but GO CYCLONES!!!
    happy friday!
    pbj

clintonR71weir is offline Junior Member
    I'm guessing the chinese may have had some gluten in the sauce - causing your issue...I've heard soy sauce usually has gluten, which one might not suspect.

pbj
    Happy monday!
    Well, it could be a little happier - I experimented with a little grain-based carbs this weekend - aaaaaand some had some frozen yogurt...bad idea!
    Acid reflux last night, and bloated and icky this morning. Well, now I know better for sure! I waited to experiment with grains until I was almost 2 weeks in and feeling great, and I'm glad I tested it out. Now I can't wait until I'm back to feeling great! - all the more reason to eat primal, right?
    It's funny the difference I feel in ways that you wouldn't think had anything to do with what I ate. It's been two weeks since I woke up tired and kinda pissed off like this morning - when eating pretty clean primal I pop out of bed like I'm on springs and sing in the shower...wtf?
    Why does eating grains and sugars make me pissed off? - I understand the GI distress issues - but the emotional? That connection isn't clear for me!
    All right, back to primal for me - experimentation is essential for the scientist part of me, but I don't know if the curiosity is worth dealing with the aftermath!
    later,
    pbj

NurseMama5 is offline Senior Member
    Go Hawks!!

(From SE Iowa)

Nice to meet you
    "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

jenh is offline Senior Member
    Vernon Hills, IL (Northern Chicago suburbs)
    Quote Originally Posted by pbj View Post
    Happy monday!
    Well, it could be a little happier - I experimented with a little grain-based carbs this weekend - aaaaaand some had some frozen yogurt...bad idea!
    Acid reflux last night, and bloated and icky this morning. Well, now I know better for sure! I waited to experiment with grains until I was almost 2 weeks in and feeling great, and I'm glad I tested it out. Now I can't wait until I'm back to feeling great! - all the more reason to eat primal, right?
    It's funny the difference I feel in ways that you wouldn't think had anything to do with what I ate. It's been two weeks since I woke up tired and kinda pissed off like this morning - when eating pretty clean primal I pop out of bed like I'm on springs and sing in the shower...wtf?
    Why does eating grains and sugars make me pissed off? - I understand the GI distress issues - but the emotional? That connection isn't clear for me!
    All right, back to primal for me - experimentation is essential for the scientist part of me, but I don't know if the curiosity is worth dealing with the aftermath!
    later,
    pbj
    somewhere else I've read that eating non-primal affects anger levels in others. What you're feeling I don't think is odd at all...
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

pbj
    lol, maybe it isn't odd, but it sure feels that way! yet another reason to eat primal. My scientist self wants to do further investigation to discover if it was normal grain pasta (only a little, 1/2 cup or less) or the sugar in the frozen yogurt (really only had a 1/2 cup - 24g carb) OR a combination of both that caused it.....but maybe I should do it when I have a weekend alone. Serious b$%@h this morning! lol

Just had some fatty ground beef (grass fed) mixed with aged cheddar cheese - aaaand already starting to feel better.

pbj

Welcome to MDA! Nice to see more Iowa folks on here.

It's amazing how grains/dairy effect people differently. The best thing is to experiment with foods (one at a time) and do what works best for your body. Also, don't eat if you aren't hungry (I'm usually not hungry for breakfast because I eat a large dinner).
    Primal Krista
    The Paleo Lifestyle

Current primal weight: 134lbs (9/9/11)

pbj
    Thanks Krista - holy cow! you started where I am now, same height and everything - I don't know if I'll ever get down to your weight!...I'm rather well endowed in the chest area so my happy body weight should be about 9 or 10# (!!) above yours...
    I read your blog and saw your progress pics - reminded me to take a before....before it's an after!

I'm learning what true 'hunger' feels like - not just a carb crash telling me to eat, and I feel good after I eat as opposed to just feeling more bloated - like I would after a carb crash carb snack.

pbj

pbj
    I should probably head over to the journal thread - this is the meat :-) and greet section...aaaand we've met. lol

Anyway - back on 90% PB, need to remind myself that eating pasta and even a little fake food isn't worth it - my body is just getting over the icky carby bloaty gut, acid reflux, and constipation from my weekend experimentation.

Still trying to convince the husb that it's allright that I'm eating this way without going to the doctor first and getting an okay... It's frustrating - I think he would rather I take medication for acid reflux and digestive issues instead of trying to cut out the foods that are making me sick.

I did offer up a compromise: I just had all my bloodwork done for a health screening right as I started PB - I will go in 6 months from now and do it again to make sure that my healthy numbers aren't adversely affected by changing my diet this way. If they are, I will make an appt. with a dr to get a 'professional opinion'

doing well on eating, well... steak / chix / salmon / eggs / some cheese / lots of veggies / coconut oil (amazing stuff) / butter...
    I haven't put my daily intake on fit day yet - I will start that though to get a benchmark of where I am now - which is where I feel amazing!

weight loss - still @ about 6# total in the first 2 weeks, which is fine - too busy at work to get in sprints or heavy lifting for the last week

Still not a lot of cravings - I still want a diet coke sometimes...but I'd like one without the acid reflux please!!
    Occasionally I'd like dessert - but greek yogurt and fruit covers that just fine.

Should really start a journal - hmm tomorrow?

later
    pbj

Barefoot Paul is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hey! I'm a student here at ISU. Some of us primals here in ames are getting a group together to perhaps purchase some primal foods in bulk to get discounts. I've been kind of out of the loop over the last week so I don't really know whats going on... You are certainly welcome to get in on it. I can let you know once I know a little more if you are interested.

I love the weather here too. today was so awesome. Nice and warm. Went for a run today and it reminded me of summer. Soon its going to be cold though :/ bleh.

Where do you buy your food? I've found that Fareway has a decent meat counter with some good deals occasionally. They also consistently have the cheapest eggs (besides Aldis which is way too far away for me).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast