Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: iowa girl page 2

ldygeko is offline Member
    Shop Now
    JENH - LOL on the ISU sweatshirt and the Husker's cap for safety "after" - that is too funny and totally something I would do myself.... you go girl!

BETH - I'm gonna guess and say that Jen's right, the soy had gluten in it. My friend here at work is insanely allergic to gluten - has immediate stomach pain and vomiting if she ingests it - and the only soy sauce she can buy around here I think is the Hyvee brand - I'll have to ask her. All the others have gluten in them....

AFM, I'm planning on roasting a chicken tonight. I've never done a whole chicken before - actually cooked a turkey for the first time last Thanksgiving. I know, I know - I'm 41 and have never cooked a whole chicken? Because CW told us chicken with skin on it is bad bad bad. Not anymore, I'm gonna actually EAT the skin tonight, LOL......
    Lady Gecko, a.k.a. Theresa.

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    Jenh and ldygeko - thanks for the soy update - I'll look for gluten free soy sauce @ HyVee / Dahls for making chinese @ home.

Still doing well on Primal - last night was a little tough - worked late, then had to rush to hockey and I didn't get to eat until 8:30 at night and my boys had eaten something else (they aren't primal ) so I was on my own... left over baked chicken, broccoli and greek yogurt with a few berries for dessert. LOVE greek yogurt!

I think one of my biggest problems going forward is going to be meals with the boys (husband and 12yo son) I hope to gradually entice them with primal meals, and continue to only eat the meat and veggies - leaving the pasta and potatos to them... The problem isn't for me making the choice not to eat the pasta and bread...it's what to cook and when to get the time to cook it!

Mac n chz and hot dogs takes a few minutes...oven baked chicken and vegetables takes an hour - I know which one I SHOULD cook, but I HAVE to get food in the 12 year old before he has 1.5 hours of hockey practice and most evenings I only have 30 minutes between work and hockey rink!

It will just take more preparation on my part I suppose, we are at the hockey rink 4 evenings a week for my son, my husband travels 60% of the time and I work outside the home 50 hrs / week...when do I cook?

I just don't want to make non-nutritious meals (quick) for the boys and eat primal myself...usually later. That doesn't feel right. I'll have to check out resources on primal cooking for family.

another beautiful day though - feeling an amazing flow of energy from the inside out!
    pbj

jenh is offline Senior Member
    Vernon Hills, IL (Northern Chicago suburbs)
    Quote Originally Posted by pbj View Post
    Jenh and ldygeko - thanks for the soy update - I'll look for gluten free soy sauce @ HyVee / Dahls for making chinese @ home.

Still doing well on Primal - last night was a little tough - worked late, then had to rush to hockey and I didn't get to eat until 8:30 at night and my boys had eaten something else (they aren't primal ) so I was on my own... left over baked chicken, broccoli and greek yogurt with a few berries for dessert. LOVE greek yogurt!

I think one of my biggest problems going forward is going to be meals with the boys (husband and 12yo son) I hope to gradually entice them with primal meals, and continue to only eat the meat and veggies - leaving the pasta and potatos to them... The problem isn't for me making the choice not to eat the pasta and bread...it's what to cook and when to get the time to cook it!

Mac n chz and hot dogs takes a few minutes...oven baked chicken and vegetables takes an hour - I know which one I SHOULD cook, but I HAVE to get food in the 12 year old before he has 1.5 hours of hockey practice and most evenings I only have 30 minutes between work and hockey rink!

It will just take more preparation on my part I suppose, we are at the hockey rink 4 evenings a week for my son, my husband travels 60% of the time and I work outside the home 50 hrs / week...when do I cook?

I just don't want to make non-nutritious meals (quick) for the boys and eat primal myself...usually later. That doesn't feel right. I'll have to check out resources on primal cooking for family.

another beautiful day though - feeling an amazing flow of energy from the inside out!
    pbj
    Cooking Solution? Choose a day/afternoon to cook for several days/the week in advance and put things in containers for quick re-heating... I too work a lot, and use Saturday and/or Sunday... I get the oven going (even in summer) pop in a ham, roast, and the bacon...that oven is going crazy...while I'm chopping veggies that I use in quick breakfasts, quick dinners, etc... Get out that crockpot! Throw together stuff for chili or....a meat sauce....if you want you could make them some pasta w/ the sauce but I like to just eat meat sauce as is....with some kind of hard grated cheese of course.... If you have access to a second fridge and/or deep freeze you can really stock up some options for meals this way. I"m single w/ a dog, so I don't have quite the same volume to do, but I still do "volume" cook because of how busy I am between work and community volunteering...and walking the socialite beagle of the century.
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

Ditto - I buy those big packs of chicken breasts from Wal-Mart - mostly because they are cheap on Sundays (on sale) and I really can't afford to go grass-fed/pastured right now. Anyway, I do a batch chicken bake on Sundays, and portion those up for an easy warm-up in the microwave. For non primals, you can chop that cooked chicken up and make chicken salad, put it in with pasta, make a casserole, put it in soup, toss it cold into a wrap with lettuce and other good wrap stuff..... The possibilities are endless! Same goes for putting a roast in the crockpot - all kind of ways to stretch that out into several meals. I also keep those steamable veggie packages in the freezer for quick microwave and serve veggies - not as good as fresh, but way cheaper and WAY better than canned....

I personally have class two nights a week, so on the nights I am not home, hubby/daughter have access to easy meals even though I'm not there. Hmmmm, I sometimes have the faint wafting smell of pizza that I know they ordered while I wasn't there, but at least SOME of the time they eat up that healthy stuff in the fridge, LOL.......

pbj
    Another beautiful Iowa morning - My favorite season, fall: mornings are crisp and cool, the afternoon sun entices you outside for a walk, and the evenings are cool with the smells of fall (leaves, harvest...that "cold" smell...) that make you want to just stand outside and take in deep cleansing breaths.

Anyway, yesterday I think I had my first experience with not eating enough..eating this way for me seems relatively easy; I've always been more of a 'savory' than a 'sweet' person, so I'm not really missing sugar at all. I wasn't terribly hungry yesterday for breakfast so I had a bit of sausage - not much I'm afraid...but it satisfied me. For lunch it was full fat cottage cheese and some raspberries, snack was a hard boiled egg. Dinner was a pork chop and greens (the boys had pasta as well). Afterwards I felt good ( primal good ) but by 10 I was feeling really tired...not run-down, just tired.

I need to eat more for breakfast I think - this morning was just a few pc of bacon ---not really hungry. Is this normal? should I force myself to eat more? Especially when I have crazy/busy days at work? I feel great right now...

Oh, I put a beef roast in last night while I was cooking dinner so I have a nice hunk of it for lunch today!

aaaaaannnddd not much need for coffee anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by pbj View Post
    Another beautiful Iowa morning - My favorite season, fall: mornings are crisp and cool, the afternoon sun entices you outside for a walk, and the evenings are cool with the smells of fall (leaves, harvest...that "cold" smell...) that make you want to just stand outside and take in deep cleansing breaths.

Anyway, yesterday I think I had my first experience with not eating enough..eating this way for me seems relatively easy; I've always been more of a 'savory' than a 'sweet' person, so I'm not really missing sugar at all. I wasn't terribly hungry yesterday for breakfast so I had a bit of sausage - not much I'm afraid...but it satisfied me. For lunch it was full fat cottage cheese and some raspberries, snack was a hard boiled egg. Dinner was a pork chop and greens (the boys had pasta as well). Afterwards I felt good ( primal good ) but by 10 I was feeling really tired...not run-down, just tired.

I need to eat more for breakfast I think - this morning was just a few pc of bacon ---not really hungry. Is this normal? should I force myself to eat more? Especially when I have crazy/busy days at work? I feel great right now...

Oh, I put a beef roast in last night while I was cooking dinner so I have a nice hunk of it for lunch today!

aaaaaannnddd not much need for coffee anymore!
    Tough call for me to know for sure. However, if you're typically feeling satisfied after what you're eating it should be fine. Overall it does sound like you might need a little more food as I thought lunch was a little light after the light breakfast... There are times where I don't eat a lot at one meal and make up for it at the next... Part of it is experimentation and listening to your body, but if I"m tired that is my trigger that I need food...but at 10 at night it sounds like your body was saying it's dark outside. It's time to get sleep.
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

Hey there - I know what you mean about that "cold" smell - I love the smell of fall! Looking forward to a nice walk with one of my furbabies and enjoy the crisp weather!

As for not eating enough - I'm still reading PB, but isn't one of the main points to eat when you are hungry and if you aren't hungry or get full, stop? Souds like Jenh is right - 10 p.m. your body was just saying it's time for bed..... Now if you said you were exhausted in the middle of the day, I'd think differently.....

AFM, I'm still having some problems sleeping through the nights and so far it really hasn't affected me during the day yet; however it was pretty darn hard to get up this morning. Yesterday was my orientation at school, and I worked both jobs yesterday, so I was up transcribing reports from 4:30 to 6:30, then at day job by 8 til 4:30, at school by 5 til 9. Then a 45-minute commute home. I should have been tired, but really had a hard time and forced myself to go to bed at 11 because I knew I had to get up and transcribe more reports early this morning..... I didn't get up til 5 a.m. and I wasn't near as productive as I had been the morning before!

Oh, I am so excited! A friend gave me a coupon for 10% off Vibram Five Fingers! I went and tried some on today to see which ones I like, might have to start a thread to get some advice on which ones to buy....

pbj
    good mornin'!

And it is - a good morning! I haven't had a morning that isn't good since I dropped grains and sugar from my diet...which makes everyone in the whole house happy!

OMG, I just read some of the Wheat Belly Blog - Holy cow, I need to get that book and have my husband read it! He realizes I'M eating this way because grains and pasta and sugar make my GI system go haywire....He doesn't realize that he has been suffering because of the grains and sugars in his diet (bfast cereal, toaster thingies, bread, pasta, soda)with; headaches, lethargy, indigestion after almost every meal, high triglycerides, low HDL, high fasting glucose (borderline)...

There is virtually no reason for me to eat them ever again. Wow, just wow.

skipped dinner last night, had a food free function and no time to eat before. So I just had a big breakfast today - bacon and eggs, mmmm. man do I love bacon! More beef roast today, and some greens, and cottage cheese / almonds for snacks - and sooo much water!

I'm wearing jeans today I wouldn't normally subject ppl to seeing me in, but damn they fit! - what a great bonus! I've lost about 6 lbs in 10 days - but I look like I'm about an inch smaller all over. But what trumps the weight loss and the jeans...is the way I feel. On. Top. Of. The. World!!!

later peeps
    pbj

Congrats!!! I know the feeling... primal eating can really make one feel as if they could literally jump up and down for joy - and just simply *for joy* and not other reason at all.... 6 pounds is awesome - just think it's not just about the scale but what fat is melting and becoming muscle since muscle weighs more...you're a melting machine! GROK ON!
    My goal pic...

BETH: I'm so excited for you! Your excitement and energy are contagious! I've got a big grin on my face after reading your post today - even though it's crappy and rainy here, LOL.... Grats on such great results! I'm going to have to read up on that wheat belly blog....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast