Thread: Going Primal page

GrokJosh is offline Junior Member

Going Primal

Hello all,

I ran across this website through Google and was instantly intrigued. A brief background:

I've always been the overweight guy. Not morbidly obese, but definitely not skinny. The chubby guy I suppose. I was around 180 when i graduated high school ten years ago and somehow managed to slowly climb to 220 by the end of 2010.

I lost a brother last year when he was 29, which made me realize that life is short and I better get my butt in gear and turn things around. Since new years I have quit smoking, started a pretty strict low-calorie diet (around 1200-1500 per day), and started a strict workout regimen of what Mark would call "chronic cardio".

I am now sitting right around 180, and still not smoking, so I guess I should pretty darn happy with myself. I am, actually, but the problem is that I've been at 180 for about 3 months now and I can't get off the plateau. In fact, I found this website googling about plateaus and ran across one of the many blog posts that Mark has written about every topic under the sun. I got excited enough that I ran out and bought the PB book last night and am devouring it.

This afternoon I cleared out the cupboards and did some primal grocery shopping and I'm ready to go. I've done low carb diets before, so I'm not really worried. I don't get the carb flu that people talk about, if anything I get anxiety the same way that I used to get from cigarettes. I know that it will pass.

My goals: my ultimate goal is to get to around 160. Originally I wanted to be there by the end of the year, but I realize we are quickly running out of months so this may no longer be feasible. I am going to Costa Rica in five weeks, if I can get close to 170 by then I'll be pretty darn happy.

Also, I have a last addiciton to Red Bull that I need to kick. It's sugar free, not that this is much better since its still full of methylethylgonnakillyas. but at least there's no carbs? Gotta kick it.

My worries: It's hard for me to believe that I can lose weight by REDUCING the amount that I am working out. I've gotten into such a Chronic Cardio routine, that I'm a little worried to slow things down. Any input on that is appreciated.

Well now you know me, hello to all, let's go!
    Last edited by GrokJosh; 09-22-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Josh. It really does work, for most people.

At 1200-1500 calories with chronic cardio, your body thinks it needs to hold on to all the fat it has. Forget calories. Think carbs.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Welcome Josh. It really does work, for most people.

At 1200-1500 calories with chronic cardio, your body thinks it needs to hold on to all the fat it has. Forget calories. Think carbs.
    100% agree. Your body think your starving, so its holding on for dear life. You need to up your intake of fats, and work out smarter. It will work.