Thread: Inexpensive Oils page

Astrogirl is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

OK, I'm trying to make a case that one can eat healthy on a low budget. I know where most of us stand - we should allow more money for food because it's important, but these particular readers don't *have* more money.

Assuming the budget is limited and that's that, which oil is best: Canola or Light Olive Oil (or 100% Pure Olive Oil)?

I think Canola is pure junk (and I know that Mark's book makes that case well), but what I *don't* know is if non-EV Olive Oil is so processed as to make it just as bad.

What do you all think?

maba is offline Senior Member

I agree. Of all my primal groceries, coconut oil is the most expensive. If olive oil is all you have access to right now, stick to extra virgin olive oil. Don't use Canola. Also, make sure when you're heating, not to heat it to the point where it starts smoking.

Nutiva brand of coconut oil sells for ~45/gallon on their site apparently. That's a very good price considering how much other brands sell it for. A gallon would last you a long time.

I'm looking for something with less flavor of it's own, or I wouldn't even *ask* about Canola oil.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

My budget allows for coconut oil. I make the choice for good fats first and skimp on some other things. I shop around and when coconut oil is on sale, I can get it for as low as $5/jar. Then I buy every jar they have on display.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Tropical Traditions has their expeller-pressed coconut oil on sale this week. Expeller-pressed is not coconut flavored, and it is cheaper than the virgin coconut oils that do taste like coconut:

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/ex...oconut_oil.htm

soror is offline Senior Member

ditto on expeller pressed coco oil wait for the sales though, and you can get 5 gal for about $100

Mama to 4, wife to my love

OK, I know about coconut oil, and I use coconut oil. Let me try to focus the question better.

Which is worse: canola oil or light/100% pure olive oil?