Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sweet potato skins? page 2

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    And the winner is..........skin eaters by a length.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Potato skins are more nutrient-dense, but are also where all the toxins reside. A few less nutrients for a lot less toxins = don't eat the skins IMO. The only reason to eat potato skins are, well, you WANT potato skins as a snack. If you're not specifically craving them, cut them off because there's no reason to eat them.

Eating starch for nutrition is a terrible idea, anyway. Starches lack nutrient density, so people who make their dietary staples sweet potatoes, white potatoes, white rice or grains in general aren't doing something smart. Even the most nutritious starches are less nutrient dense than some of the least nutritious vegetables. You should be eating starches as a low-toxin source of complex carbohydrate if you need carbs in your diet. If you don't do carbs, there's no need to eat starch since you can be filling the calories with more nutrient dense foods.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Potato skins are more nutrient-dense, but are also where all the toxins reside. A few less nutrients for a lot less toxins = don't eat the skins IMO. The only reason to eat potato skins are, well, you WANT potato skins as a snack. If you're not specifically craving them, cut them off because there's no reason to eat them.

Eating starch for nutrition is a terrible idea, anyway. Starches lack nutrient density, so people who make their dietary staples sweet potatoes, white potatoes, white rice or grains in general aren't doing something smart. Even the most nutritious starches are less nutrient dense than some of the least nutritious vegetables. You should be eating starches as a low-toxin source of complex carbohydrate if you need carbs in your diet. If you don't do carbs, there's no need to eat starch since you can be filling the calories with more nutrient dense foods.
    Thanks as always for imparting your knowledge on this stuff, Chacotaco. I agree with your assessment overall and agree there are more nutrient dense foods than potato/rice/etc. The challenge for me is that I am trying to reestablish the habit of eating more carbs (in part inspired by your experiments in refers ertc) and trying to go as clean and primal as possible. It would be pretty hard to increase carbs on an occasional day without adding a lot of starches of some kind especially if you don't want to overdo fruits due to fructose content.

gsg603 is offline Junior Member
    If I'm making them into fries, I leave the skin on. Otherwise, I peel them. Weird I know.
    Dena

Proud Single Mom to Mackenzie

Proud Non-Smoker since 10/29/05

I believe that how you feel is very important to how you look - that healthy equals beautiful.
    Victoria Principal

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    in most cases, i eat 'em b/c i'm too lazy to peel.

however, i do take them out of the skins after nuking for making smashed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12