Thread: Grocery shopping for non-primal SO page

namelesswonder is offline Moderator

Grocery shopping for non-primal SO

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been doing most of the grocery shopping lately. My boyfriend requested milk & cereal the other day. I am not imposing my diet on him so I picked off the store-brand Cheerios, cringing internally until they were safely out of hand/sight in the cupboard.

Because of our financial situation and the fact that we eat MOST of the same foods (but he still eats pasta/ramen/bread for sandwiches etc.), I cannot ask him to buy his grain products when I am buying the rest of the groceries. This may change in the future; eventually I hope to have him buy the things that only he will eat, and I will buy what only I will eat (like spaghetti squash), and we'll take turns paying for the rest. For now, I'd like to find the least offensive alternative for him.

I'm not about to go get gluten-free bread for him, but is there a "less offensive" cereal I could look for? I thought maybe rice crispies (not the treats) since they are rice based, but he said they taste like cardboard (and I thought to myself, "other cereals don't?"). I'm probably out of luck since I'm sure the alternatives are going to be $4 or more per box =\
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Rice Krispies tasting like cardboard?! Maybe he should try them with half-and-half.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I make my hubby a grain free granola. I told him it was to cut back on his sugar but really it was that and to cut the grains. He uses whole milk or almond or coconut whatever is there. One batch lasts a long time (a couple of weeks) so it is a tad pricey to make, but not so much per serving. He eats 1/2 C at most per sitting. He likes the taste, it is filling, satisfying, and sticks with him. I also have been experimenting making breakfast bars for those on the go mornings and for my teenage son to eat on the way to school.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    You can find cereals made from grains other than wheat barley and rye in the gluten free or organic sections of the store. Other than that, possibly some kind of granola? I'm not sure it is possible to get a less-bad cereal as they are all grain-based.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Yeah I feel like primal oatmeal or granola would be the only thing that would truly be "passable". Not sure he'd eat the granola though. Apparently Rice Crispies makes a gluten-free version (malt = gluten).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    The way I tricked dh into eating the grain free granola is to process the ingredients in a processor just long enough to have them unrecognizable and about the same size as oats.

My mom used to make a version of rice pudding for us for breakfast. Basically leftover rice, with cream, butter, and a sweetener warmed up-very yummy.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day