Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mama Foxglove's Primal Pregnancy Journal page

foxglove is offline Junior Member

Mama Foxglove's Primal Pregnancy Journal

Primal Fuel
    I'm about a trimester and a half late starting this, but I'm not going to lie - I was pretty useless during my 1st trimester. I've been Primal for about a year and half, but that first trimester made me hate so many foods I had formerly loved. Bacon, greens, eggs, and steak all turned my stomach, even though I never threw up. Yes, I had some decidedly non-Primal moments during that 1st trimester that definitely exceeded the parameters of our beloved 80%-20% clause.

My 2nd trimester has been wonderful so far though. I'm just past 20 weeks pregnant now, and I can't get enough bacon, greens, eggs, or steak. My energy levels have been back for a while, so I've worked harder on exercising. I did yoga faithfully throughout the beginning of my pregnancy two or three times per week, but now with my baby bump in the way, and with more energy than before, I'd like to get back into a more Primal workout routine. I'm still going to do yoga, but I've switched now to prenatal yoga once per week.

Mainly, I'm going to keep this journal so I can document my eating and exercising habits, because I'm really good at telling myself that I don't realllly need to do those squats, or that it won't realllly hurt to have a donut....basically, I BS myself quite often and quite well, and the best tool against that is documentation. And hey, if somebody finds something helpful here, that would be cool, too. I know I've really enjoyed peeking at other Primal pregnancy journals - there's just not tons of information out there regarding Primal pregnancies.

So, now for an accounting of today's sustenance:

Breakfast - Ok, full disclosure. Today was a late, rushed morning, so I turned in an 80-20 token for a Chik-fil-A breakfast sandwich with fruit on the side. Then I got to work and found that the boss had brought donuts. I was still hungry, probably because my breakfast was processed crap, so I failed my willpower test against the donuts. See why I need to keep a journal? I've developed some bad habits from my 1st trimester.

Lunch - Ah, this is better. Leftovers from last night - grassfed burger patty with caramelized onions and bacon, okra and tomatoes, and a few slices of roasted sweet potato.

Snack - Some grape tomatoes and a couple of small cubes of cheddar cheese.

Dinner - Tomato basil soup with goat cheese and bacon garnish, served with a salad of mixed greens tossed in a warm bacon dressing.

Now for the exercise:

I'm trying to take a walk every evening after dinner. This seems to help my food settle better, and since I live in Houston, it's much more comfortable to walk once the sun is setting. Don't worry - I sit outside everyday around 4:30pm for at least 15 minutes to get some vitamin D!

Today, in addition to the walk, I'm going to start (carefully, very very carefully) incorporating some strength training. I'll be endeavoring to use the essential movements of PB fitness. Tomorrow, I'll report back on what I was able to safely accomplish.

I guess that's it for today. I already feel more goal-oriented and inspired.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Congratulations and best wishes to you and your baby. Out of curiousity, is this your first?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Thank you. Yep, this is number one.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    How exciting! Hubby & I are trying to conceive so I've been lurking in people's primal pregnancy logs/blogs. Cassandra Forsythe did a really interesting series of interviews with women who exercised during their pregnancies.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Good luck on the conception part! I liked that part - it was fun. I will have to check out those interviews - I have felt pretty lost most of my pregnancy as far as what's safe and what's not. Since I don't trust CW regarding food, medical advice, or well, pretty much anything, I can't trust what they say about exercising while pregnant either. But at the same time, risks are scary.

Ah, it's Friday, and I've got a nice weekend ahead of me. Tonight, my husband and I are having our traditional Friday night date dinner, but after that we're heading to Babies R Us for the first time. Well, ok, I've physically been in the store before, but only to buy shower gifts for girlfriends or relatives. It's funny how pregnancy changes you - I used to abhor going into Babies R Us, but today I'm practically bouncing with excitement just thinking about looking at different cribs, co-sleepers, car seats, and strollers. And the cute little clothes. Sniff sniff.

Anyhow, on to today's food:
    Breakfast - whole fat yogurt with strawberries and walnuts
    Lunch - I think I'll scavenge at a BBQ place near my office. Brisket, squash, and cucumber salad should be good. Grok in the Sky, please give me strength to say no to fried okra, one of my many weaknesses.
    Snack - I brought some stuff to make an afternoon snack salad today - mixed organic greens, grape tomatoes, cucumber, and cheddar cheese.
    Dinner - Friday night is usually when I turn in an 80-20 token, but I don't think I will tonight. I'm still feeling gross from my doughnut and Chik-fil-A sandwich yesterday. I think tonight I'll order a steak and veggies wherever we go.

So, last night, I took my usual walk with my babydaddyhusbandman. It's been especially fun lately, because with the cooler weather, our indoor/outdoor cats actually MOVE AROUND outside instead of just laying on the porch like they're going to die. We have two cats, and they are our furry babies. Yeah, we're cat people. But anyhow, we live in a townhouse, and there's a big beautiful courtyard in the front of our house. I usually just walk the big square over and over in the evening. Well, the last few nights, the cats have been following us, so we've got a little parade going on. It's pretty cute. I imagine they're a little confused as to WHY we walk in a big square over and over, but I like to think that THEY think we're walking the parameter, like to establish our territory. It's always good fun to try to think like a cat. Anyhow, I'm way off-topic now.

I know I said I'd report back about how the strength training went, but it just didn't happen last night. I actually have more free time at work, so this afternoon I'll be grokkin' it in my office. I'll try to write about it before I go home today.

Now back to my menu planning for the weekend.

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    we're heading to Babies R Us for the first time
    This is always exciting! Especially with baby clothes sales. It's also good to hear that my wife isn't the only one who got literally sick with bacon. Maybe this was natures way of making us fast. Who knows.

I have felt pretty lost most of my pregnancy as far as what's safe and what's not. Since I don't trust CW regarding food, medical advice, or well, pretty much anything, I can't trust what they say about exercising while pregnant either. But at the same time, risks are scary.
    Oh god yes. My wife and I are huge lactivists, though I haven't converted her primal yet. I'm not sure she will, either. I just make it a point to pull the cheerios away from my daughter whenever I see her reaching for them.

I was wondering the same thing while I had my bacon/steak/egg aversion - maybe it was just something I didn't need too much of then. Maybe in some way fasting sometimes served me better then than really nutrient-dense food. After all, you don't really NEED extra calories in the beginning. Now, at 20 weeks, I'm hungrier and can eat more and I love my protein again. Pregnancy is a weird, weird monster.

Ok then - strength training is officially back into the mix. I'd love to report some amazing numbers, but I'll just keep it honest instead:

• Knee pushups - 2 sets of 8 reps
    • Squats - full-on real squats, mind you - 2 sets of 25 reps
    • Modified jackknife presses - 2 sets of 15 reps
    • Planks - 2 sets of 30 seconds
    • Pullups - ummm, yeah. Couldn't do one before I got pregnant, not gonna do one now.

As you can see, these are Mark's 5 essential movements. I think I could have pushed a little harder, especially on the squats and knee pushups, but I was pretty much at my limit for the planks and jackknife presses. Overall, baby bumpage wasn't an issue, and I didn't have to modify everything, so I'll consider myself a satisfied mama for now.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, I was plenty sore after my first session of pregnant strength training. I expected that though. On Saturday, the husband and I cleared out our guest room since it will be our nursery. We're both bookworms and had hundreds of books in the guest room, and they all had to be carried downstairs (bookshelves, too). Of course, my husband did 90% of the work, but even so, I was so worn out from going up and down the stairs a bajillion times. That resulted in a lot of lying around on Sunday, and even 2 long naps.

Nutritionally, I did pretty well this weekend. Breakfasts were good - bacon, eggs, strawberries on Saturday, almond pancakes on Sunday. Lunch was naughty on Saturday - I had Taco Bell. I stuck with corn rather than flour, since I'm very sensitive to flour but not really sensitive at all to corn. I avoid corn 90% of the time, just because I know it's not the best choice, but I don't seem to suffer from indulging every once in a while. Lunch was good yesterday - Mexican food without the naughty stuff. Dinner on Saturday was chicken Thai curry with veggies, and I skipped dinner yesterday because I just wasn't hungry for it after my Mexican food lunch.

I guess that sums up the weekend. In an effort to keep myself as honest as possible, I'll be reporting food and exercise the day AFTER instead of the day of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast