Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mama Foxglove's Primal Pregnancy Journal page 2

foxglove is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    So yesterday I had my monthly prenatal appointment with my midwife. Until yesterday, my pregnancy has really been perfect. My weight gain was even, no morning sickness, decent energy levels...but in the last month, I've gained 11 pounds. To put this in perspective, I should have gained 4. Sigh.

I KNEW I had been eating more (but hell, I've been hungrier), and I knew we had been eating out a little too often, and that what I call my 80-20 tokens might have been more like 70-30 or even (gasp) 60-40 tokens. I just didn't imagine I could have gained 11 pounds in one month. My face, arms, and thighs all look the same - it's all in the belly. My midwife did say that everybody typically has one big growth spurt, and that maybe this was mine (well, baby's).

But to be really honest, I know that I've rationalized choices that I wouldn't usually rationalize due to my pregnancy. Like, baby needs more carbs than I do probably. Or, ice cream has calcium - that's good. Or, rice and beans sound amazing so baby probably needs them.

Yeah, I'm irritated with myself, too. I had plans to be so perfectly primal during my pregnancy.

There's still time though, and I'm going to manage my weight gain carefully now. No sugar, less dairy, and only root veggies for starch. No rice or beans. I need to eat a big-ass salad for lunch at least 3 or 4 times per week so I get my fresh, raw, organic greens. (I tend to prefer cooked green veggies for dinner - I like warm food at night.)

My activity levels aren't too bad, but there's always room for improvement. Instead of 25 or 30 minute walks most nights of the week, I'm going to aim for 45 minutes nearly every night of the week. I might give myself the day off on Sundays, when I do prenatal yoga. I'll continue the strength training I started last week (I'll continue it later today, actually). And I'm going to make sure I get up once an hour from my desk and walk around for at least 5 or 10 minutes. I might try to make it a habit to leave work on my lunch break (even though I bring my lunch) and go walk around a store nearby so I get a little extra activity in.

So that's what's going on with my pregnancy. Everything else was great - great blood pressure, baby has a good strong heartbeat, I've had very little swelling in my ankles....just gotta work on cleaning up the diet.

I need to get back to my original mindset - that pregnancy is DOUBLE the reason to stay primal and eat clean, not an excuse to eat the things I've left behind me in my non-primal past.

I'm going through sugar cravings. I've allowed myself some 85% dark chocolate though, and that sufficed. Plus, a recent study correlated chocolate consumption with a lower risk of preeclampsia.

I'll jump right in - yesterday's food:

Breakfast - 2 egg omelet filled with grass-fed taco meat and topped with guacamole
    Lunch - Grass-fed taco meat on a bed of dark leafy greens tossed in olive oil, topped with guacamole, organic cherry tomatoes, and splashed with jalapeno Tabasco sauce (I adore that stuff)
    Snack - Whole fat Greek yogurt sweetened with honey, a handful of blackberries
    Dinner - Pork cutlet with roasted sweet potato slices and stewed okra & tomatoes

Exercise: I walked for 25 minutes. I really tried for 30 minutes, since I'm trying to work up to 45 minutes, but my back felt so wonky and it was an effort keeping my tailbone somewhat tucked and my abs somewhat firm. It was also reallllly muggy outside (yes, that required italics AND extra Ls - that's how humid it was), and I just felt sapped and drained. I used to be able to walk for hours, no matter the weather! Well, tonight, I'll aim to add 5 minutes and get up to that 30 minute mark, which is what I feel should be a bare minimum.

Speaking of tucking my tailbone and all that mess, I feel like my round ligament pain and stiffness have gotten worse lately. I haven't been going to yoga for a few weeks. I was attending level 1 yoga for a few months prior to my pregnancy, as well as throughout my entire 1st trimester and part of my 2nd, but it was getting to where they were doing so many poses I couldn't participate in. I was spending a lot of time in child's pose, and that gets old after a while. Anyway, I'm starting prenatal yoga at the same school this Sunday, so I'm hoping that will help. It's only available once a week, but I'll be able to practice by myself at least one or two times by my lonesome while I'm waiting for Sundays.

Oh! Strength training - 2nd session went well! Here are the stats:

1. Knee pushups: 10 reps x 2 sets (up from 8 reps!)
    2. Squats: 30 reps x 2 sets (up from 25 reps!)
    3. Modified jackknives: 25 reps x 2 sets (up from 20, I think)
    4. Planks: 2 30 second sets (no change)

I'm making progress!

Today I'm really sore in my left hip and oh so tired - a direct result of yesterday's strength training, I'm sure. I didn't walk last night, but I'll have to today just to work some of the stiffness out.

Yesterday's food:
    Breakfast - 1 fried egg, about a 1 oz piece of pork cutlet, blackberries, maybe 1/3 cup whole fat Greek yogurt with honey
    Lunch - Pork cutlet with sweet potatoes and stewed okra & tomatoes
    Snack - Dark chocolate, 4 squares
    Dinner - Vietnamese pho ga (rice noodle and chicken soup with lots of fresh bean sprouts and herbs)

Today's food (in case I don't have time to check in tomorrow, as we'll be painting our front room downstairs as well as the baby's room - excitement!!!):
    Breakfast - 2 egg omelet filled with sauteed onions and red bell pepper, dollop of sour cream on top with some jalapeno Tabasco sauce, handful of blackberries
    Lunch - leftover pork cutlet with sweet potatoes and stewed okra & tomatoes
    Snack - 2 squares of dark chocolate, 1 all natural strawberries and cream fruit bar
    Dinner - We shall see! It's date night. I'll do my best to keep it primal though, and I'll report back on Sunday most likely.

A little much sugar perhaps, but I'm doing better!

Dinner on Friday night was quite primal - my husband surprised me with dinner at a local steakhouse. Good man, that husband of mine. I ate a 6 oz filet wrapped in bacon with 2 shrimp on the side. Our appetizer was called Duo of Pork, but it should have been called "Duo of Heaven". Bacon and pork belly, with delicious little sauces / salads = happy pregnant lady. Our side dishes were a tad naughty, but still within the realm of primalness - we had potatoes au gratin and creamed spinach. We were so full of meat though that we only had a couple of bites of each. We ordered bread pudding, just because everybody had been telling us that this particular bread pudding is some of the best ever, and if there's something both of us will cheat for, it's bread pudding. It was pretty damn good, but we only had about two bites each. Saved by the meat - if we hadn't been so full, we would have snarfed that bread pudding down.

Food log for the weekend:
    Saturday breakfast: I'm ashamed to say that it was a bagel breakfast sandwich from Panera. Weak moment, being in a hurry to start painting.
    Sunday breakfast: Sausage patties, fried eggs, side salad with a splash of some homemade balsamic vinaigrette = much better! I felt better, too.
    Saturday lunch: Hamburger without the bun, side salad with balsamic vinaigrette, 3 or 4 tater tots taken from the mother-in-law.
    Sunday lunch: Homemade pastured sausage jambalaya. Yeah, I used rice, but rice & potatoes are ok by me while I'm pregnant, as long as it's not every meal.
    Saturday dinner: I foraged around the house - some of those leftover sides from the steakhouse Friday night, a little salad w/ homemade dressing.
    Sunday dinner: More jambalaya with a side salad.

Exercise: Tons of natural movement while I helped paint the nursery and our front room downstairs. (I used an appropriate mask with organic vapor cartridges and low VOC paint.) There was much stair climbing, light-ish carrying, tons of squatting and standing while painting, etc. Sunday I went to prenatal yoga and that worked out a lot of the kinks I've been feeling in my back and hips lately. I also did 4 1 minute "contractions" where you hold a deep squat for a minute at a time. Pretty hard, but I felt more prepared after doing 2 sessions of strength training recently.

I'm roasting a pastured chicken tonight, so while that's in the oven, I'll have ample time to walk & strength train.

You know, I've been far from perfect since I tightened up my "diet"...but with my tightened-up adherence, I feel so much better. For a few weeks there, everything was making me cry or get pissy. I know I'm pregnant, and that can happen, but it's a little odd that it only happened when I was eating too much gluten. I wonder if anybody else has experienced that. I know that my normal, non-pregnant self tends to get into arguments with the husband when I eat sugar or wheat, so why not when I'm pregnant? Anyway, here is yesterday's food and exercise log:

Breakfast: Whole fat Greek yogurt with walnuts
    Lunch: Still workin' on that jambalaya. I'm glad rice doesn't mess with me. It's nice to have on occasion.
    Afternoon snack: 4 squares of dark chocolate with sea salt, 1/2 serving of sweet potato & beet chips
    Dinner: Roasted pastured chicken (leg, part of a breast, and 2 wings - it was a small bird), broccoli sauteed with garlic (plus melted butter).
    Dessert: Whole milk with some homemade dark chocolate syrup

Exercise: While my chicken roasted, me and the kitties took a 35 minute walk. What a difference from the last few weeks! I was experiencing a lot of hip and back pain after even 10 or 15 minutes of walking before, and now I'm doing great. I bet the sugar and gluten was making me ache more than I needed to.
    Mama Foxglove's Primal Pregnancy Journal

"Leave your drugs in the chemist's pot, if you can heal your patient with food." - Hippocrates

Our little boy is kicking up a storm in my belly. Bryan got to feel him for the first time last night. That was pretty amazing. I can see my hand jump up and down a bit if I lay it on my belly and watch closely.

I'm swamped at work today, so I'll jump right in with yesterday's food & exercise:

Breakfast: 1 organic apple with some all-natural hazelnut butter
    Lunch: Jambalaya (alllllmost done with that stuff) and broccoli
    Snack: 1 beef spring roll and several squares of dark chocolate
    Dinner: Burrito bowl (no tortilla) with ground meat, veggies, guacamole, cheese, salsa, pico de gallo

I walked for about 35 minutes or so after work yesterday, with the kitties parading behind me as usual. The weather is getting nicer and nicer. Only a few weeks ago I was having to wait until dark to walk, because it was so hot. Now I can go as soon as I get home and get even more sunshine.

Today I'll do strength training and either report it this afternoon or tomorrow morning along with today's food.

Well, back to work for this grokgirl.

"Leave your drugs in the chemist's pot, if you can heal your patient with food." - Hippocrates

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    I did notice that a medicine that gave me horrible, horrible side effects while I was eating SAD gives me no side effects with while eating Primal.

Of course the way you eat is going to affect how you react to things!

That's really interesting. I haven't needed any medication since I went primal, but it makes me wonder about some of the meds I've taken in the past and how they'd affect me now.

You're completely right when you say that of course it's going to affect me (how/what I eat), and trust me, it's definitely something I know, but even after being primal for over a year, I get surprised when I see just how much food affects me - the pimples I get after eating bread, the anxiety or anger I feel after too much sugar, or the way that my seasonal allergies have mostly disappeared now that I'm primal! I guess I should stop being amazed and shocked, but it might take a long time for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    I did notice that a medicine that gave me horrible, horrible side effects while I was eating SAD gives me no side effects with while eating Primal.

Of course the way you eat is going to affect how you react to things!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    October 1st we got some cooler weather in the Houston area, which has been amazing. But with the cooler weather every October comes some type of seasonal allergy for me. It's been happening since I was about 12 years old, and it's been every single October. We're talking sneeze attacks that last for 10 or 15 minutes, eyes that itch worse than huge mosquito bites, and some minor swelling (and not so minor itching) in my throat. I've lived on Benadryl every October since I was 12. Sometimes it's not the entire month, sometimes it is. When the REALLY cool weather sets in, the allergies disappear.

But guess what?! I'm fine this year! We were painting on October 1st, and I felt the sneeze attacks coming, but I decided back when we were still trying to conceive that I wouldn't take any medications unless absolutely necessary while pregnant. So that first day kinda sucked, and I wondered how I'd ever make it through October without allergy medication. After that first day though, it just got easier, and now with a little saline spray, I'm fine! I get a little tickle in my throat, or I might sneeze 4 or 5 times when I first go outside, but IT PASSES. If that's not a testament to what primal eating can do for you, I don't know what is.

I'm feeling very thankful and grateful that I ever found Mark's Daily Apple.

And now yesterday's food and exercise log:

Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in coconut oil with salad greens and some leftovers from Bullritos (mixed peppers, ground beef, pico de gallo, salsa)
    Lunch: The end of the jambalaya, with a big green salad tossed in olive oil
    Snack: Carrots & hummus
    Dinner: Big ass salad with guac, dark chocolate

Exercise: Walked for 45 minutes, but never got around to the strength training. I went inside and promptly sat on the couch and then got distracted by our baby kicking me. I love that feeling. <3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12