Thread: Just started...calorie question page

teglade is offline Junior Member

Just started...calorie question

Shop Now
    I've just started my journey eating primal and I'm pretty excited, but am afraid that I'm over-eating on nuts/fats, etc. I haven't read the entire PB book and just wanted to get started right away. I have been on it for 4 days and am down only .2 which was a little dissapointing since I had been really eating poorly before. My question is...show many calories should we focusing on? I try to get roughly 1 gram/pound of protein, under 80 grams of carbs, but fat??? Not too sure, it's been ranging between 50-75 grams, yikes! HELP please.
    You can't fail if you don't stop trying!

June is offline Senior Member
    In the book the basis is .7-1g of protein per pound of lean mass (not per pound of total body weight). Then you have your 50-75g carbs. Then you make up the rest of the calories with fat so that you get a decent caloric deficit under your BMR. Google BMR and Harris-Benedict equation to figure this out. Then aim for a deficit of 500-800 calories daily or so. That is from the book.

I'd personally say to do the .7-1g of protein per pound of lean mass, then your carbs, then add some fat to every meal to keep you satiated and keep your energy level high enough.

Technically I think the book aims for a daily deficit of 900 calories to lose 8 lbs per month.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teglade View Post
    My question is...show many calories should we focusing on?
    Just don't.

Don't leave yourself hungry, and, on the other hand, don't eat more than you want.

I try to get roughly 1 gram/pound of protein, under 80 grams of carbs, but fat??? Not too sure, it's been ranging between 50-75 grams, yikes! HELP please.
    June has already addressed the protein issue. As it is, you're eating too much. Work out roughly what that would be in terms of ounces of meat and just have about that—you don't have to be exact—so that your protein requirements are met.

If you're trying to lose weight, keep carbs low. In effect this means as much vegetables as you fancy and a moderate amount of (preferably low-sugar) fruit. So you might have some steamed spinach with your breakfast, a large salad with lunch, and a couple of servings of cooked vegetables with dinner. Add in one or two servings of fruit—berries are a good choice.

Everything else is fat. That is what will keep you satisfied. As well as fat on (and in) your meat, fish, eggs, etc., you can add a tablespoon of olive oil to a salad, a knob of butter to cooked vegetables—or you can cook in coconut oil or ghee.

50 to 75 g of fat is not a high amount. On an intake of around 2,500 kcal I might eat 170 or 180 g of fat. (That would be about 60 to 65% of the calorific intake.)

You have to meet your energetic requirements with something, and if you slash carbohydrate right down, then that means you have to eat the fat.

But when you've eaten enough to be satisfied, stop. Don't aim for a "calories deficit"—just don't eat more than you want, and it should all sort itself out. it will work, so long as you keep the carbs low—and get enough sleep in the dark.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Welcome, teglade!

Although nuts are allowed, many people have a hard time losing weight when eating them in significant quantities. I never needed to lose weight (quite the opposite) but I know that I WAY overconsumed nuts when I started eating Primal and for a good while after. It wasn't until I learned how high they are in omega-6 fats and how bad excess omega-6 is that I was able to convince myself to eat them much less often. I would definitely try cutting back on the nuts. It will almost certainly help you lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Technically I think the book aims for a daily deficit of 900 calories to lose 8 lbs per month.
    I haven't read the book in a long while, but that seems somewhat extreme unless you're a large person and eating way more calories than most. For some people, 900 calories is half of what they need, so cutting back by that much would NOT be a good idea. Eight pounds in a month of real weight loss is REALLY fast for most (again, people who have a ton to lose could see this happen more easily. Also, water weight from burning stored glycogen could contribute).

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I haven't read the book in a long while, but that seems somewhat extreme unless you're a large person and eating way more calories than most. For some people, 900 calories is half of what they need, so cutting back by that much would NOT be a good idea. Eight pounds in a month of real weight loss is REALLY fast for most (again, people who have a ton to lose could see this happen more easily. Also, water weight from burning stored glycogen could contribute).
    Yes 8 lbs a month is a lot, 2lbs a week, and I think that is for people who have a lot of excess to lose. That is what the book says though. 933 calories per day deficit to lose 8 lbs per month. Target something more realistic obviously if you are close to goal.