Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the heck am I supposed to eat?????? page

gsg603 is offline Junior Member

Question What the heck am I supposed to eat??????

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Every where you turn you hear something about nutrition these days. It is so confusing!!!! Fat is bad for you, fat is good for you, only certain fats are good for you, carbs are bad for you, carbs are good for you but only if whole grain, grains are bad, whole grains only are good, meat is bad for you, meat is good for you if grass-fed, low fat, low carb, low protien, etc. Uhhhh!!!! Can anyone else see why this can be so confusing???

In July of this year I started an eating program of "eating clean" - no processed foods, only whole, unprocessed, "clean" foods. As I continued to research, I eventaully went vegetarian and then vegan focusing on a plant based diet. I did this due to the alarming studies and findings I found that eating meat and dairy cause all kinds of diseases, cancers, etc. (Reference the China Study, Forks Over Knives, David Wolfe, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Dr. McDougall, Dr. Fehrman, etc). I could go on and on with that list.

The going nutritional way of eating for humans is a plant based diet, without any animal or dairy products at all. All the references above state this is the way to not only beat but prevent cancer, diabetes, heart disease, obesity, etc. I am scared to dealth of all these diseases not to mention I have weight I need to lose. Its not just about the weigh loss anymore, it is about getting healthy.

After starting the plant based diet, I have lost 30 lbs not to mention have had some radical improvements to my health. I used to have to take Zantac before bed to even remotely be able to sleep. I am completely off of Zantac. Used to have to take an allergy pill every day, don't have to anymore. I used to have to take an anti-anxiety medicine every day. Completely off of that pill. I have more energy than I know what to do with. I sleep better than I have in years.

I drink a quart of green smoothie daily. This is 15 servings of raw greens and fruits daily I get. Plus, I eat vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, unrefined oils, and whole, clean, minimally (if at all) processed grains. I have found that I am eating a lot of "wheat" and grain products due to not eating meat. I might be overeating wheat and grains because some of the weight is starting to creep back on.

I guess I am just trying to reach out to this virutal network for anyone who has any advice, guidance, or expeirences they can share to help me. Right now I am so confused I just don't know what to do. I still have 70 lbs I need to loose and want to find a way of eating that will keep me heatlhy, disease free, and independent from any perscription drugs and diseases.

Any guidance and/or feedback from Mark or anyone would greatly be appreciated. I am sorry to make this so long.

Thank you.

P.S. Question for Mark (or anyone) - Mark says that humans have only been eating grains for the past 10,000 years. However, going back through history books, I thought our paleo ancestors ate seeds and nuts (in season) as they found them. Is this not so?

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    To the question first...I don't think seeds and nuts are considered grains.

I was a vegetarian for 5 years prior to going primal. I gained 10 pounds a year, eating 'healthy' and exercising. It was obviously not gonna work for me. So I went low carb, then primal...low carb to lose weight, primal to be healthy.

I would suggest reading Gary Taubes "Good Calories Bad Calories" because while I think not every thing he ended up espousing is true, this book has a ton of science behind it.

Or "Wheat Belly" by Dr. Davis

The China study was debunked.

good luck
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    You're going to have to eat meat. You will always find contradictory points of view. It's up to you to decide who to listen to.

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    With regards to eating grains, there is plenty of evidence to support the idea that humans ate limited amounts of grains at times before 10,000 years ago. However, those grains were wild grains and a very, very small part of the human diet. It was the advent of the agricultural revolution that saw humans suddenly move to a diet based on grains.

The advantage of an agricultural-based grain diet was that the sheer number of calories supported larger (though sicklier) populations. The numeric advantage allowed work specialization and military superiority even though it diminished the well-being of individuals. What's good for the group isn't necessarily good for the individuals. In fact, the most grain-based societies (such as ancient Egypt) show some of the shortest lifespans, even among the elite. Cleopatra needed bypass surgery.

For me, a Primal diet ended the horrible acid reflux problems I was facing and allowed me to end a 30-year need for asthma medications. I had tried vegetarian diets previously. They proved less-than-healthy for me. I did stay slim that way, but had lots of other problems including issues with blood sugar stability during exercise.

There is no universal consensus on what is the healthiest diet. If you really want to succeed you're just simply going to have to read as much material on the subject as you can and then test it on yourself. I strongly recommend keeping a food and health journal to help you find cause and effect in your own health.

Good luck!
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

Thank you to both of you who read (my very long winded) post and responded. I really appreciate the guidance you have provided.

demuralist - I didn’t know the China Study was debunked. Will definitely look into that. Thank you so much for letting me know.

glorth2 – Yes, there is so much conflicting information out there. My problem is that I soak it all up. I read and research nutrition as a hobby (crazy, I know). So you’d think I would be the healthiest person on earth but on the contrary. I am the most confused person on earth. I guess it is possible to know too much. Ha ha!!!!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I think it is great to be well informed and read a lot about different eating strategies....I did that for years and bounced from diet to diet trying to regain my health. However, when I read about and then tried primal eat I just knew it was right for me. I always wondered why eating had to be such a damned challenge - I was always thinking about food, wondering when I could eat next, getting shaking and irritable from low blood sugar, gaining weight and feeling crappy in general. Eating meat, fats, and veggies completely freed me from all that.

So I say keep on reading and learning, but never underestimate what your own experience tells you.

gunk – thank you so much for the feedback on the grains. That makes complete sense the way you explained it!!!!! I have done a ton of research and it is only confusing me the more I dig and learn. I just don’t know what to do. I am trying to find a way that will be the healthiest for my body because I am scared to death of all the diseases that poor nutrition can cause. I do find it interesting from a majority of posts and profiles I have read, a lot of people were former vegetarians and/or vegans and went primal after finding Mark.

I have tried veganism off and on since my high school days. I have come off of it before because I have felt deprived and also because of the comments I get from people. I know that latter is a crazy reason to stop following a nutrition plan, but what can I say…I’m sensitive.

I have been vegetarian/vegan since July. I am starting to notice that as I add whole grains back into my diet they are creating cravings for more and mind fatigue (fogginess if that makes sense). So I will have to try something else.

Thank you for your wonderful response. I greatly appreciate it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    ....I did that for years and bounced from diet to diet trying to regain my health. However, when I read about and then tried primal eat I just knew it was right for me. I always wondered why eating had to be such a damned challenge - I was always thinking about food, wondering when I could eat next, getting shaking and irritable from low blood sugar, gaining weight and feeling crappy in general...
    OMG!!!! I could so totally have written this statement. I too have bounced from diet to diet trying to find something that works for me that I can also live with. I know this isn't a "diet" but instead a nutritional plan that I need to be able to live with for the rest of my life. All the low fat, high carb nutrition plans I've tried have not helped me at all. I've gained weight, become obessed with food, am irritated, fatigued, no energy, sleep horribly, etc. I think I need to get Mark's book and do some reading this weekend.

From everything I've read, seems this is like Atkins, which I've done in the past. Is that a fair assessment?

THANK YOU so much for your feedback.

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    I found my way here through reading paleo/primal nutrition blogs. I tend to trust folks who are scientists, the ones who practice what they preach and are proven healthy, and who gain knowledge from cultures outside of America or before superstores came along because food is all about money here (at least what is being called "food" these days, UGH!).

Seems like there are very few perfect foods out there and I've read it argued that even some toxicity can be a good stimulating thing for the body. Insulin isn't our enemy either. Each food can have its downside.

Ultimately, I think one of the goals when reading studies is to find foods that are least/minimally toxic and most nutrient dense, providing outstanding nutritional value and antioxidant protection without disrupting other bodily functions too much.

Then I try it out. My body tells me that primal is good for me because my acne has cleared, my stomach cramps are gone, I'm no longer hungry and I have good energy. My naturopath tells me it is good when my bloodwork is good.
    Last edited by Goldstar; 09-22-2011 at 11:26 AM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsg603 View Post
    OMG!!!! I could so totally have written this statement. I too have bounced from diet to diet trying to find something that works for me that I can also live with. I know this isn't a "diet" but instead a nutritional plan that I need to be able to live with for the rest of my life. All the low fat, high carb nutrition plans I've tried have not helped me at all. I've gained weight, become obessed with food, am irritated, fatigued, no energy, sleep horribly, etc. I think I need to get Mark's book and do some reading this weekend.

From everything I've read, seems this is like Atkins, which I've done in the past. Is that a fair assessment?

THANK YOU so much for your feedback.
    There can be some similarities between the old style Atkins and PB, but there is really a world of difference IMO. PB is not focused on restricting carbs. That does tend to happen to some degree because you are cutting out grains, HFCS, sugars, and processed foods. However, PB is really focused on eating whole unprocessed foods that our bodies evolved to live on. So no funky processed oils, weird chemical sweeteners, low-carb grain based substitute foods. There is also an emphasis on getting lots of sleep, play time, slow movement, and some exercise. It is a way to feed your body and your soul. I highly suggest reading some of the free literature on this site - which is fantastic. Also you could try the PB book, some reading by Gary Taubes (good calories, bad calories or why we get fat), or wheat belly. There are also lots of other sites about paleo eating - the archivore blog is a great place to start - he talks about eliminating the biggest offenders here : Archevore - Archevore Diet

As an aside - I know everyone talks all the time about not going on a diet but making a lifestyle change. I can honestly say for me this is the first time that is real. I KNOW for sure I will eat this way forever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast