Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm a bit suspicous about the the cafeteria veggies... page

milkycereal is offline Senior Member

I'm a bit suspicous about the the cafeteria veggies...

Primal Fuel
    Alright so it's cool that my school's dinning hall usually has a variety of different veggies everyday. I'm talking brussle sprouts, brocolli, carrots, bok choy, squash/zuchinni, coconut-mango stir fry, apple-cole slaw (yup, its good shit)

It all tastes declicous but...some of the veggie mixes are really wet, almost slimey...

That's either the way they look after being cooked or they are DRENCHED in oils...

Now I'm not afraid of fat, but if all that is oil then I am probably consuming way to many calories with all the veggies I eat. Aside from that they probably use vegatable oils and shit...

Sometimes they have some nutrition info next to the food. Alota times the calories are pretty low (under 100) for the veggies, but I can't help but worry that whoever's in charge of that just looked up the calories for the vegatable itself and overlooked the fact that the chef might have poured oil all over it afterwords...

But idk, what do you guys think? On my plate sometimes I see some water/fat seperation but I can't be sure where its comming from.

And even though i've been eating a buttload of veggies since I got here i think I put on a lil chub...I feel pretty good, but still...

Should I just aim for raw veggies most of the time and use my judgment when it comes to the veggies they serve? Do veggies need to be cooked in order to get the vitamins and such out of em?

and no i'm not gonna go shopping for my own food. I have a meal plan that allows me to eat all I want it'd be a waste to give that up, plus I don't have the money for it.

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    try the salad bar and not so much of the oily cooked veggies?

Yeah but don't you need to cook veggies?

I think they have a stir fry station...gata check that out

Yvonne PHX Guest
    I don't blame you for being suspicious of the slimy vegetables. Raw vegetables are good for you. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Definitely check out the stir fry station as well.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I'd start by asking the people that work there.

As for whether or not to cook veggies, some veggies are fine raw, like lettuces. Some should be cooked. Crucifers, for example, have goitrogens that are destroyed when cooking. Those are chemicals that can impede thyroid function. Crucifers are the cabbage family. In addition to cabbages (and Brussels sprouts which as you can see look like wee little cabbages) this includes broccoli and cauliflower to name a couple.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    You could try asking how they prep the vegetables and decide from there.

Some vegetables are better cooked, some are better raw. A mix of both seems to be best.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

yeah i think i'm gonna use the stir fry station, and i'll just eat their cooked veggies if they don't look all slimey and such...even if they do i'll throw em in the stir fry and see if the oils from that can be used to cook everything else

aside from that i'll be at the salad bar alot I guess

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by milkycereal View Post
    yeah i think i'm gonna use the stir fry station, and i'll just eat their cooked veggies if they don't look all slimey and such...even if they do i'll throw em in the stir fry and see if the oils from that can be used to cook everything else

aside from that i'll be at the salad bar alot I guess
    Do you know what oil they use at the stir fry station? Questionable industrial oil heated to a really high temperature isn't exactly healthy.

you get to make it yourself, using whatever oils they have. im sure they have olive oil

But lets just say they don't, then what would u guys do?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast