Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: to snack or not to snack page

deyaffee is offline Junior Member

to snack or not to snack

Hi ...

I am new here. I have read so many conflicting declarations about snacking and not snacking in regard to leptin. There doesn't seem to be any definitive research...studies support improving leptin both with snacking and with absolutely no snacking.

Also, as much as I am a paleo fan, I also see a lot of leptin diets that include more carbs and foods than what paleo would.

One could get quite dizzy trying to figure out what program to try out for improving LR.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you ,
    Debbie Y

pollydinasaur is offline Member
    If your hungry eat - meat/veg/fish/eggs

If your not don't.

Go by how you feel not but what CW tells you.

Sooz is offline Junior Member
    Have you read Jack Kruse's blog? He seems to encourage no snacking, which I think makes a lot more evolutionary sense

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    I had the same question, so I'm trying an experiment. I am not a controlled snacker, in other words once I start eating I want to eat more and more. It doesn't seem to be based on hunger. So I knew my afternoon snacking resulted in a lot of calories, even though it was almost exclusively primal food.

I cut out all snacking as a 30 day challenge. In a little over two weeks my weight (after hovering at around 189-190 for a couple of months) has dropped 4.5 pounds with no other changes. It has been a bit of a mental challenge to change that habit, but I'm no more or less hungry than usual.

I say give it a try IF you feel like you have the primal way of eating down and you aren't seeing the results you want. Or keep it in mind for a future tweak if things are going well for you right now.
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooz View Post
    Have you read Jack Kruse's blog? He seems to encourage no snacking, which I think makes a lot more evolutionary sense
    If I recall correctly, part of his explanation was insulin. Your insulin level will drop off a few hours after you eat. That's prime fat burning time. If you put more food in your body, then your body will make more insulin. If you can wait at least five hours between eating, you get a good chunk of time to use your own fat for fuel.

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pollydinasaur View Post

If your not don't.

Do you realize how unhelpful that advice is for someone with a leptin problem?

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    If I recall correctly, part of his explanation was insulin. Your insulin level will drop off a few hours after you eat. That's prime fat burning time. If you put more food in your body, then your body will make more insulin. If you can wait at least five hours between eating, you get a good chunk of time to use your own fat for fuel.
    You want insulin to return to baseline, right? That means wait 4-7 hours after eating, depending on the size and content of your last meal. I've found that advice to be the most helpful thing in his leptin reset program.
    Last edited by weird fish; 09-22-2011 at 10:12 AM.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Also, just to throw a little folk wisdom out there, our grandparents and great-grandparents and so on would've told you that snacking between meals makes you fat. That was just generally accepted food dogma along with a proper meal being meat, veggies, and a little starch. If you got a bit soft, they'd tell you don't eat between meals, give up sweets, and avoid the bread basket.

Snacking started gaining legitimacy around the same time that a big plate of pasta became an acceptable healthy dinner. When I was a kid, my mom didn't have a baggie of Cheerios in her purse.

MonkeyGuy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pollydinasaur View Post

If your not don't.

Exactly!!! Bingo. The "no-snacking nazis" seem to be growing lately! For SOME people, having no snacks works great. For others, healthy snacks help them keep their energy up and not get overly hungry.

For me, I eat 4-5 times a day typically. 3 larger meals and usually a snack between lunch and dinner, and sometimes a morning snack before lunch. Works great for me. And I do eat nuts! Feel free to throw things at me.

But I'm not going to say that my way of eating is THE way and everyone else is unhealthy. If it's working, keep doing it.

MG
    http://healthymindfitbody.com
    "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

deyaffee is offline Junior Member
    Thanks, everyone. I wish there were a definitive answer about snacking...but perhaps it is all a matter of individual biochemistry.

On the one hand, what some of you wrote about waiting 4 to 7 hours between meals in order to let insulin return to baseline made sense. On the other hand, I read so many articles that support the frequent mini meals or snacking precislely becuase it "keeps insulin levels stable".

So....still not sure what to do. I really need to release some fat here!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGuy View Post
    Exactly!!! Bingo. The "no-snacking nazis" seem to be growing lately! For SOME people, having no snacks works great. For others, healthy snacks help them keep their energy up and not get overly hungry.
    I propose that snacking makes the person more sensitive to the dips in insulin levels by keeping insulin levels continuously elevated. That sensitivity comes across as hunger pangs, jitters, feelings of weakness and sluggishness.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast