Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: to snack or not to snack page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I propose that snacking makes the person more sensitive to the dips in insulin levels by keeping insulin levels continuously elevated. That sensitivity comes across as hunger pangs, jitters, feelings of weakness and sluggishness.
    Dr. Kruse would agree with you.

And I so agree with weird fish above that the whole "eat when hungry, stop when not" mantra is massively unhelpful to someone trying to repair their hunger signaling mechanisms. I am now to the point where it does work and it's interesting and new to me to actually intuitively know when to stop eating. Just telling someone to eat intuitively doesn't work and doesn't help.

MonkeyGuy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I propose that snacking makes the person more sensitive to the dips in insulin levels by keeping insulin levels continuously elevated. That sensitivity comes across as hunger pangs, jitters, feelings of weakness and sluggishness.
    This is only if one is eating high carb snacks like potato chips. I typically have a large breakfast around 7am but I'm hungry by around 12:30 or so, have a good sized lunch and workout typically around 6, and grab a snack around 5 or so (I'm not so regimented like that but this is just on average). I don't think there is anything wrong with snacking, and for some, it may HELP with weight loss, as opposed to trying to wait a certain number of hours before eating again because "thats what the cave men did".
    http://healthymindfitbody.com
    "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

otzi Guest
    I snacked my way to 250lbs a few years back. I PB'd my way down to 190 with primal snacks and stalled. When i started IF'ing and stopped snacking I got down to 172, I still want to lose a few pounds, but 175 had been my goal for years. I'm going to stick to my IF schedule and no snacks this winter and see where it takes me.

I, personally, feel much better eating only 2 meals a day w/no snacking. I used to eat breakfast then a mid-morning snack, then lunch, mid-afternoon snack, supper, and snack all evening. I was constantly hungry. Now, I'm hardly even hungry when I do eat, certainly never what you'd call ravenous.

Good luck with whatever route you go--if you hit a wall, try something else.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    For each person it is different. I tend to be a snacker, and it works for me, but I generally don't eat what most people would consider full meals either. I know it is politically incorrect around here to snack, but for some of us, it seems to work.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

deyaffee is offline Junior Member
    Would you consider having a mix of powdered greens in water to be a snack ?

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    If it doesn't provide any caloric energy then no, it's just a nutritional supplement.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    How to not snack?

I do think my body is better off without snacks, but I could never resist a little snack in the afternoons. Usually it's a couple of eggs or leftover meat/veg from lunch. I don't think it's a physical need, but more out of boredom or habit or something.

WereBear is offline Junior Member
    I do well with 2 big meals, skipped breakfast, NO SNACKS.

My body seems to respond to any amount of food by opening the insulin tanks. If I give it enough food to work on, then let it go away, I don't get hungry for quite a while.
    --
    Lowcarber for seven years, now Going Primal

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    How to not snack?

I do think my body is better off without snacks, but I could never resist a little snack in the afternoons. Usually it's a couple of eggs or leftover meat/veg from lunch. I don't think it's a physical need, but more out of boredom or habit or something.
    I'm doing a personal 30 day challenge with no snacking in order to consciously change that habit. It has been a challenge for sure, and I'm still not over my urge to eat something in the afternoon. Wish I had a good answer to "how" ...I think it is an ongoing effort to break the habit.
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I stopped snacking while doing the Leptin-reset, and for me, who was so out of order with my Leptin, it was without doubt the best thing I ever did. I actually have a hunger- and satiesfied signal now. For the first time nice I was born. This is major to me, so in my case, no snacking works best.
    Ps! I never go hungry but it's due to what I et in my meals obviously.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast