Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: paleo airport foods? page 2

Scotty is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Concur on the sitdown restaurants and then it really depends on the airport. I love to connect in Denver because it has a steakhouse that serves a great buffalo ribeye. Had a nice paleo meal at Macaroni Grill in Orlando last week. Charlotte has a good BBQ. Avoid Chicago Midway. In a pinch needing to grab something to take on the plane, I look for Oberto low processed jerky and some unsalted raw nuts.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    In Detroit (DTW - Delta hub) there are lots of places you can get meal-sized salads(I'd still ask for dressing on the side, not on top) - typically with grilled chicken or the like on top. One of the better places was in the Guinness Pub - which had a salad with smoked salmon, egg, and horseradish among other things - but there are plenty of other places with good salad choices. Also, several other places(mostly in A terminal, not C/B) where you can get a steak with some veggies - though no promises about what the steak is cooked in. Last time through Detroit I had an early flight home connecting through Detroit so missed breakfast, so I took a grab & go chicken Caesar salad at one of the coffee shops - skipped the dressing - just greens, chicken and cheese - made a decent enough breakfast.

On the other hand, Tokyo-Narita... not such a good place for Paleo(Japan is pretty horrible for Paleo in general unless you're eating sashimi or cooking for yourself). Best I've done there is the Delta lounge, removing the bread from the little sandwiches they had. I got a lot of strange looks for doing that, and eating the meat/cheese along with some fruits/veggies. You can probably find something decent at one of the places outside, BEFORE you clear security, I'd guess.

I like to pack a little jerky/other food of my own to tide me over. But when I'm on a long, intercontinental flight I just relax a bit and chalk that up to my 20% - I still absolutely, 100% skip the bread, though.
    Last edited by jsa23; 09-22-2011 at 05:55 PM.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    The breakfast thing is my trick whether I'm travelling by air or I'm on a road trip since it's the easiest thing to get as uncontaminated as possible if you're clear that it must not contain grain products (look out for pancake batter in the omelettes--I'd like to smack the genius that came up with that one).
    Wait. WHAT? Seriously? Pancake batter in omelettes??? THAT'S JUST WRONG. What do you do, ask if it's gluten-free? Do servers even know if there's pancake batter in the omelettes? (I'm wincing as I type that.)

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Wait. WHAT? Seriously? Pancake batter in omelettes??? THAT'S JUST WRONG. What do you do, ask if it's gluten-free? Do servers even know if there's pancake batter in the omelettes? (I'm wincing as I type that.)
    They do it to make them fluffy. The pancake chains are almost all doing it these days. I will simply ask that they use straight eggs for my omelette, or I order sunny eggs and bacon or steak (but no marinades!) so that I know I'm just getting eggs with no weirdness (and I ask them to sub sliced or broiled tomato for the toast). Bonus: bacon/steak dipped in egg yolk is delicious.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    I travel a lot, internationally, and have never had them take away my jerky. They are too focused on making sure I don't carry a bottle of water through security, I guess.

I often carry at least some food for the duration, not just the trip, because of the places I go (developing countries almost always) and because I am astoundingly cheap. For those who like 'em, here's the major score: Sardines. (Although I can often find some wherever I land, they're usually in some awful oil or something with sugar, so I prefer to carry my own. Yes I am serious.)

Otherwise, as several have said, macadamias and homemade jerky to carry, and anywhere you can get breakfast for airport foods (sometimes you can find hard-boiled eggs in those deli/sammich places. They still rip you off, but I find the markup is a little less on breakfast). And I've taken HB eggs with me, too.
    Last edited by beachrat; 09-23-2011 at 11:52 AM.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Nibbler is offline Senior Member
    I only ever take my own packed meals, I find it easier and more ecomonical than winging it en route. I have never had a problem taking my own food on a flight, but you *may* have to eat certain parts of in before you go through customs at the other end if you fly internationally, however this has never been a problem for me.
    On my last trip I took:

Crispy bacon
    Hard boiled eggs, pre seasoned
    Slices of pear and roquefort cheese
    Some drained sun dried toms which came in EVOO
    Pre dressed salad leaves
    Beef biltong, pre sliced
    Almonds
    82% dark choc
    Coconut griddle cakes spread with honey

I drank water on the flight and I also took my own herbal tea bags, so when everyone else drank tea and coffee I just asked for hot water and dunked my bag in. Fellow pasengers were extremely curious.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pollydinasaur View Post
    I'm just about to embark on a 21 hr trip tomorrow - scotland to hawaii :-)

I've got 99% 50gm lindt chocoltae bar, 2 x 60gm bags of macadamias packed along with a couple of pepperamis (I think this is like a slim jim USA thing - not perfect but better than nothing). Plan to have 3 fried eggs & 2x bacon before leaving and then grab a steak/chicken salad/veg combo at first stop (newark). IF thrown in after this due to length of flight (just under 11hrs) and then grab food when I arrive. Any other suggestions welcome.
    Lucky you! We did that a couple of years ago, only via Heathrow, San Francisco and somewhere else obscure (no, we didn't make the booking ourselves). The food options sound good, and should be OK. Last time I made some Scotch eggs to take (with home-made sausage meat, and rolled in sesame seeds rather than breadcrumbs as my husband is coeliac - I am too, but only recently diagnosed), which were delicious and didn't seem to cause any problems at Security.

gsg603 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Yes this is very true. Scary as it may be, it is true. I used to work at a IHOP when I was in college. The way to ensure that your eggs do not come from the mix with pancake batter is ask them to "shell" your eggs. When you ask for that they will use real eggs, crack them, and cook how you like.
    Dena

Proud Single Mom to Mackenzie

Proud Non-Smoker since 10/29/05

I believe that how you feel is very important to how you look - that healthy equals beautiful.
    Victoria Principal

Quote Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post

Beef biltong, pre sliced
    82% dark choc
    Coconut griddle cakes spread with honey
    Couple questions for you. First, what is beef biltong. Second, where do you find 82% dark chocolate? Do you find it at health food store or online? Third, what are coconut griddle cakes? Please share how you make those!!!!

I am keeping this list of items for next time I travel. This is a great meal pack to have. Sounds better than most restaurant meals!!!
    Dena

I believe that how you feel is very important to how you look - that healthy equals beautiful.
    Victoria Principal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh and on another note for the pancake batter in eggs, they not only do it omlettes but also scrambled eggs as well.
    Dena

Victoria Principal

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast