Thread: about grains page

alef is offline Junior Member

about grains

Primal Fuel
    hello,
    i am new to this forum
    i have read that grains are not good for weight loss and fitness. can you please give me some information about the grain like seeds, such as pearl millet, amaranth, jowar, quinoa,sago seeds, corn, semolina, gram flour, etc..? is it ok to have these, instead of wheat, rice, oats,etc..which are strictly grains?
    thankyou
    alef

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Alef. Search the forum on each of those grains. Semolina is wheat, so you should avoid it and also corn. White rice is not so bad if you can handle the carbs. If you are trying to lose fat, you should avoid or go lightly on all of them.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quinoa and chia can be tolerated if you don't have a lot of fat to lose. I would stay clear of the others.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Cardiologist Wm Davis says this about Non Wheat grains:
    Can I eat quinoa? Carb counting basics | Wheat Belly

Grizz

js290 is offline Senior Member

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    js290: You beat me! Here's the specific part of the interview that talks about this:

Fat Head: What about other grains, such as kamut, spelt, oats, amaranth, and buckwheat? Are they good for us, or just not as bad?

Dr. Davis: Kamut and spelt are evolutionarily older forms of wheat. So they do not share the most destructive changes introduced into the “D” genome of modern wheat . . . but they are still wheat. It means they contain gliadins (though a less potent appetite stimulant compared to its modern counterpart), lectins that increase intestinal permeability, and they increase blood sugar.

Oats do indeed have modest immunologic overlap with wheat. But the problem with oats lies in their extravagant capacity to increase blood sugar. A bowl of slow-cooked, organic, stone ground oatmeal—no added sugar—can increase blood sugar in a non-diabetic to 150 mg/dl, 200 mg/dl, sometimes higher. In a pre-diabetic or diabetic, 300 mg/dl is not uncommon. One of the strategies I teach patients is to check blood sugars one hour after a meal to assess the severity of blood sugar rises; this is when I saw, time after time, extravagantly high blood sugars after oats.

Amaranth and buckwheat are non-wheat grains that are, in effect, just carbohydrates. They lack the immunologic, neurologic, and appetite-stimulating effects of wheat. Like oats, however, they increase blood sugar, followed by all the adverse effects of this phenomenon (insulin resistance, glycation of the eyes, cartilage, arteries, and LDL particles). So I tell people to consume these grains in small quantities, e.g., no more than cup servings (cooked) in the context of a diet with limited carbs (e.g., 40-50 grams per day for most people).