Thread: Palatinose - low GI suagr replacement? page

aikidochris is offline Member

Palatinose - low GI suagr replacement?

Shop Now
    Hi everyone,

Firstly apologies for the double post, couldnt seem to amend the thread title and realised that no one would probably read this thread since it just said palatinose!

Just wondering if anyone has come across palatinose yet? I noticed that MyProtein here in the UK is selling it and Ive never heard of it before:

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/palatinose

http://www.beneo-palatinit.com/en/Fo...chure_EN_1.pdf

Has some pretty bold claims as a sugar replacement, anyone know anything about it? Seems almost too good to be true, sugar without the insulin spikes.

Chris

H +
    H + is offline Junior Member
    Very interested myself as I was going to order some Xylitol from them for primal baking, well as primal as primal baking can get.

Yeah that's what I was thinking about. Myself and my wife are really big bakers and anything which can seemingly make cake a bit more primal friendly seems good to me. Just wondering if anyone out there has ever used it/baked with it/eaten it? There seems to be a few comments on the myprotein site but theyre all from guys who sprinkle it in their protein shakes.

JoannaBanana is offline Junior Member
    I've recently ordered something called Zsweet Natural Sweetener - ZSweet® Zero Calorie Natural Sweetener

It was recommended by Marisa Peer (interesting lady, not primal, but an advocate of no dairy, no wheat)

The product is erythritol which I believe is a naturally occurring sugar found in fruit/vegetables.

I actually don't use sugar for anything, but thought it may be useful for baking with the family.....easing their transition!

JoannaBanana is offline Junior Member
    Just read your last post, the great thing about zsweet is that it used exactly the same way as sugar......ideal for baking I'd have thought

Palatinose too seems to come in powdered form just like sugar so it should also be good for baking, it also seems to be pretty primal in that its derived from sugar beet and from what I understand is processed to make its molecular bonds stronger meaning it takes longer to break it down meaning less of an insulin response. Thoughts?

H +
    H + is offline Junior Member
    From what I can tell from wandering the t'interwebs, its a low GI carb some are using as a sweetener to varying degrees of success.

A few people are saying they had to use 3 times as much instead of their normal sugar to get the same sweetness, others saying its a like for like swap in normal food processes and some 'selling sources' saying its half as sweet.

Might be down to personal taste and how much sugar various people typically use.

People don't seem to have had any stomach problems as with xylitol, its 50:50 glucose:fructose from what I can see, with a GI score of 32.

I don't think its especially primal by the looks of it but it could fit into the 80:20 rule. I'll wait for the general consensus.
    Last edited by H +; 09-22-2011 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Formatting

Oh absolutley fits in the 80:20, not suggesting its 100% primal, just more primal than the alternative artificial sweeteners.