Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal -=(Funkadelic Flash)=- page

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal -=(Funkadelic Flash)=-

Primal Fuel

So...this is the last one, I PROMISE! My other journal ended up being a sh*t-show because I posted everything multiple times when I saw nothing was showing up (turns out my posts were being eaten by the spam bot). Now that Mark made the spam bot puke all the posts back up it's a mess. haha

Hey everyone! So I've been a long time stalker here on marksdailyapple.com and the forums, but I decided it's high time that I jump on the ride myself.

First off, a little bit about me using the "introduce yourself" thread questions and then some more to follow:

Your location: Mankato, Minnesota

Age (If you want): 22

How Primal are you: Been toying with primal fitness/eating since about the middle of last summer, but I was never really serious about it. Now I hope to stay around 90-95% primal.

Do you consume dairy: Cheese occasionally

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea (white, green, herbal)

Motivator for switching to Primal: I could probably stand to lean up a bit, but I'm at a fairly healthy weight so this is primarily (or should I say primaly?) for my health in the long run.

Favorite exercise: Farmer carries with 45# plates. Love it.

Favorite Primal food: Grass-finished steak with LOTS of pastured butter, cracked peppercorn, and sauteed mushrooms.

Best part about being Primal: I'd imagine the best part will be when I'm in control of my food cravings and they no longer dominate my waking hours.

Worst part about being Primal: Not being able to gorge myself on my mom's holiday candies, cookies, and pastries (she's an AMAZING baker).

Born and raised in Southern Minnesoooota, and I've been living here my whole life. Went for two years at the University of Minnesota studying Computer Engineering until I realized that engineering wasn't my thing (just wish I had known that before murdering myself with 4 semesters of calc :P haha). Now I'm attending Minnesota State University, Mankato and studying Management: Information Systems. Once I graduate in May 2011 I'm getting my butt to a warmer climate in either Southern California, Arizona, or Hawaii, because Northern winters are my bane!!!

I've always been interested in health and exercise ever since I was very young. I got really into weight lifting once I started college and did very well on a fairly "healthy" version of the SAD, cutting out almost all processed carbs.

Then, just about a year ago, I decided it would be a good idea to start a raw, vegan diet. Needless to say, I was wrong. Worst...idea...ever! After almost two months of following this diet to a dime I lost 20 pounds (all muscle), was constantly fatigued, and getting sick on a regular basis. Not to mention, ever since then I've been addicted to sugar big-time. I'm guessing it's because during this time about 80% of my cal were coming from carbs, and when following this diet on a college budget I found myself going through upwards of two mangoes and ten bananas a day just to get "enough" calories. Thank god that's all in the past. Lesson learned.

Since then, I've put most of my muscle back on, but thanks to my constant sugar cravings, and me not worrying about fighting them, I got a little more fat than I bargained for along with that muscle!

Here's what I plan on sharing in this thread:

My daily food consumption. More often than not it will be estimates because I don't plan on measuring everything out and counting my calories.

Either a monthly or weekly (haven't decided yet) picture to keep myself motivated and (hopefully) show everyone what a primal life can do! First one's at the end of this post.

Any exercise or amazingly-primal activity that I perform.

My weight. Probably four or five times a week. Basically, whenever I make it to the gym because I don't have a scale at home. Yeah, I know! It's more about body composition than weight, but it's still a fun stat to keep track of, and my pictures will do all of the real talking.

My thoughts, feelings, and experiences along the way.

So, Groks and Grokettes, I'm really looking forward to this journey and becoming a more active participant in this kick-ass community! Thanks in advance for all of your time and support.

The first of many pictures. Next time I'll try to get my hands on an actual camera and have one of my roommates take the picture for me. Bad lighting + camera phone + taking the photo myself = baaaaad photo quality!

1/5/10

Food:

14:30 - 4c broccoli, 4 strips of bacon, 4 O-3 eggs, 1T pastured butter

18:00 (1.5 hours after my workout) - Protein drink w/ 1 scoop of whey, 2c raw spinach, 1T coconut oil, water

22:30 - .5 lb pork sausage w/ half a can of organic tomatoes

WOD:

45 minutes of various weights with an emphasis on back and shoulders.

First FULL day of primal eating and it's truly exciting!!!

1/6/10

Food:

14:00 - 3.5c broccoli + cauliflower + carrots, 5 strips of bacon, 5 O-3 eggs, 1T pastured butter

17:30 (1.5 hours after my workout) - Protein drink w/ 1 scoop of whey, 2c raw spinach, water

20:00 - .75 lbs of country style ribs with a small splash of organic bbq sauce.

WOD:

45 minutes of various weights with an emphasis on chest and triceps. 30 minutes of static stretches.

I guess one more thing to add would be that I take 3gms of fish oil/day, a multi-v, and 10,000 iu of D3 (thanks, Minnesota winters!)

Still incredibly excited about living primaly. I think I need to up my cal and carbs (to the 50-100 range) but I'm going to wait a bit on the carbs and see how my body adjusts in the next few weeks.

1/7/10

Alright, so I was away without internet access for the extended weekend, but brought my own foods to cook in order to stay as primal as possible!

Food:

20:00 - Half of a roasted chicken (home cooked!!!) along with the heart and liver. I used to just throw those things away but they are TASTY!

WOD:

Rest. Well-earned!

I've noticed that my hunger pangs are fast disappearing and I can go a long time between meals. At one point, when I was following CW, I would eat every three hours and was almost always hungry. This is great.

1/9/10

Food:

12:00 - HUGE omelette w/ 4 organic, local eggs, half of an avocado, about 4 medium-smallish shiitake mushrooms, 1/4 of a yellow onion, 1/3 of a green pepper, 1/2 cup of salsa. WOW was this good!!!

19:00 - half of a burrito bowl from Chipotle REALLY light on the rice, light on the black beans, extra chicken, extra fajita mix, added guacamole.

22:00 - a generous serving of dark (I think 70%, so a little on the ligher side than I prefer :P) chocolate. Probably a little more than is primal-acceptable, but it was soooo damn good! haha

WOD:

I spent about 45 minutes goofing off on a balance board at my friend's apartment, along with some ridiculous goofing off (play) that included hand-stand contests, hand-stand pushup contests, and basically running around, acting like goons.

1/10/10

Food:

Nadda'! I tried my first full-on IF today. I did get pretty hungry, and had a HUGE craving for something sweet, but I managed to be austere. I think it might be a bit early for the all-day fast at the time being, though. I'll wait a week or two before I try this again.

WOD:

Rest again!

1/11/10

Food:

12:00 - 4 O-3 eggs, 1/3 pound uncured, no sugar added, pork sausage, 1 avacado

18:00 - 4 O-3 eggs, 1/3 pound uncured, no sugar added, pork sausage, 1 T EVCO

23:00 - Scoop of whey, 3c raw spinach in a shake

WOD:

Hit the weights really hard with a concentration on biceps/triceps.

Despite fasting the other day, I really didn't feel THAT much more hungry than normal. AWESOME!!! Also, first day back at classes, looks like this semester's going to be a doozy!

spacecowboy614 Guest

What's up Flash? Thanks aplenty for your words of encouragement. And thanks, in advance, for keeping my lazy fat ass in line!

Good luck getting started on the new semester. I'll be checking back in soon to see how you're doing...

Oh, and, uh, how do you post photos on the forum? I want to get some up to (hopefully) illustrate my changes.

1/12/10

Food:

16:00 - 4 O-3 eggs, 1/3 pound uncured, no sugar added, pork sausage, 1/2 c chopped onions

20:00 - 1 lb ham, 8 oz raw, organic, aged cheddar

22:00 - Scoop of whey, 3c raw spinach, pinch of bee pollen, 1 T dulce in a shake, aaaaaaaand 4 organic bananas (oops!)

WOD:

Hard weight-lifting concentrating on full body movements and legs.

I was incredibly hungry the whole day. I think I might not be getting enough calories in my daily diet possibly. Also, I bought four bananas to have one each day for the next four days, but I couldn&#39;t help myself once I tasted how good they were. So I think for the next couple weeks I&#39;m going to stay away from fruit completely as I can&#39;t control myself around their sugary goodness! >.< At least I didn&#39;t cave to my roommate&#39;s homemade banana-bread, though!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

1/13/10

Food:

12:00 - 4 O-3 eggs, 4 strips of bacon, 2.5 c of mixed broccoli/cauliflower/carrots, 1 T pastured butter

21:00 - Scoop of whey, 3c raw spinach, pinch of bee pollen, 1 T dulce in a shake

23:00 - Small portion of baked salmon in some pastured butter with 1/8 of a roasted onion and about 3/4 c cottage cheese

WOD:

45mins of hard weight-lifting concentrating on chest, back, shoulders.

1h of Tae Kwon Do

This was a really good day for me. Made it through everything just fine, classes were a breeze, and work was...well, work. It wasn&#39;t too bad, though! Tae Kwon Do I hadn&#39;t done in about 4 years now, so that was a blast to get back into!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast