Thread: Tough Mudder for the non runner page

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member

Tough Mudder for the non runner

Shop Now
    So I've decided I'm going to try the Tough Mudder obstacle course next year. For those unfamiliar, it is a 10 to 12 mile obstacle course over sometimes pretty rugged terrain. My question is how to train for something like this, being a non runner, without getting too much into chronic cardio. I've never run further than six miles in my life, and that's when I was on the chronic train and not eating well or losing much weight. I'm not too far along fitness wise yet... still in the beginning stages of PBF, and I plan to stay there for a month or two, but then to start ramping up... I would love suggestions for all phases of the training process. Thanks!
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    I would spend 1 day per week doing sprint intervals. Start with a 1-mile easy paced warm up mile. Sprint 100 meters hard followed by a cool down jog of the same distance, repeat. Start with 4 or 5 of these. End workout with a 1-mile easy paced cool down jog. When you can do 8 - 10 sprint/jog backs, lengthen the distance to 200 meters. I think the longest you should run this cycle is 400 meters. You need to keep the intensity up on the sprint.

Do hill repeats one day a week. Start with a 1-mile easy paced warm up mile. Find a gradual incline hill of around a 1/4 mile in length if you can. Not too steep but a good incline. Run up at 75% effort. Think short steps, good arm swing, almost bounding up. Do a 20 - 30 second cool down jog at the top and then run hard downhill. Think straight form, short steps and getting the heels off of the ground as quick as you can. Don't
    overstride or push hard off your toes. When you reach the bottom, turn around and immediately start your next up. Start with 4 or 5 of these increasing the number of them as they become easier. End the workout with a mile cool down run.

The remainder of the week I would do easy paced runs, 4 - 12 miles in length at less than 75% of your maximum heart rate for your average heart rate. Do as many of these runs on single track trail as you can. On uneven ground you will need to get used to glancing down and looking up as you run.

The intervals and hill work will push your heart rate up into chronic cardio range for short periods. The warm up mile, cool down jog backs, cool down jogs and cool down miles will lower it back to a level that is not in the chronic cardio range. The average heart rate for the work out will likely be below 80% of your max heart rate. You need to have controled breathing again before you start your next interval or the rundown on the hill repeats.

I like to do a 2-mile warm up or a 20 -minute slow run to get everything loose before sprinting or hill repeats.
    A program to work on your core strengh at least 2 x per week will help with the obstacles. Compound lifts and exercises.