Thread: Canada's sugar addiction page

Owly is offline Senior Member

Canada's sugar addiction

Shop Now
    Seriously, Canada, WTF? Really, 26 teaspoons of sugar per person on average DAILY?! And 40 teaspoons for teenage guys. No wonder we're all getting so sick.

Sugar provides 20% of calories Canadians consume - Health - CBC News
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    The Canadian Sugar Institute said it was pleased that the report will help dispel "misinformation" regarding Canadian consumption patterns.

"The report shows Canadians' total sugars consumption is moderate and within the 45 to 65 per cent of energy that is recommended for carbohydrates", Sandra Marsden, a registered dietician and president of the institute said in a release.
    Heh, ok, Sugar Institute.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    "Beverages are among the top sources of sugar." Every restaurant, whether fast food or not, assumes you're going to have pop with your meal.

It's not only Canadians - pop/soda has taken over the world. SAD is everywhere, natural fats are replaced with chemicals and sugars to replace the flavouring...it's everywhere. Ok, almost everywhere.

Sad, indeed.

Oh, I know it's not just us. I travel fairly regularly, and the sugar addiction is becoming a global catastrophe.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    America managed to ruin Canada. FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU AMERICAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    At least we still aren't as bad as them.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    No, it's not the soda. You know what it is in Canada? Goddamn Tim Hortons. Canada is addicted to that place and it's embarrassing. I regularly see cars lined up around the building and out into traffic for the drive-thru.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Gotta do something in that big fscking wasteland, eh?

/ visiting canadian friend this weekend, can't wait for some poutine...with bacon of course!
    Last edited by carlh; 09-22-2011 at 06:39 AM.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    No, it's not the soda. You know what it is in Canada? Goddamn Tim Hortons. Canada is addicted to that place and it's embarrassing. I regularly see cars lined up around the building and out into traffic for the drive-thru.
    Ahem *blush* no comment.

I NEED my Timmies in the morning!!! X-large 3 cream one sugar please <embarassed>
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Nothing like that double-double (or even triple-triple) and a Canadian maple doughnut to confirm your patriotism.

Seriously, the cult of the double-double is so pervasive that 90% of the time, my double-cream-no-sugar order ends up with sugar in it (that's almost 100% if someone else does the coffee run). Not that I usually get Timmies by choice, but when I'm on the road, sometimes it's the only source of coffee that hasn't been on the warming plate for 8+ hours at a gas station.

Even worse: the Timmies ice capp. Ever checked out the nutritionals on one? I know women who down a large one almost daily, which is 62g of sugar all on its own. My SIL and I were talking about primal because she was asking what I was doing to look so slim lately. She swore up and down that she ate almost no sugar, just her daily ice capp. That's 15.5 teaspoons of sugar right there.

Owly's Journal