Thread: Ace Inhibitors and Diuretics page

bebop is offline Junior Member

Ace Inhibitors and Diuretics

Primal Fuel
    Anybody given up ace inhibitors and diuretics??? I've been on 'em for 10 yrs but would love to stop...wondering about any successes or failures...
    thanks!

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I ditched them some years ago because they were not working not to mention having to piss constantly. Dr. was ready to throw me on a third pill w/o any mention of the fact that I was fat. I decided not to be medicating symptoms when the cause was obvious. PB (along w/ Magnesium and D3 supplementation) has finally brought my BP under control.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

bebop is offline Junior Member
    Thanks man!

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    I am on both.. I am going to wait until I lose more before weaning off. I guess it depends on your situation.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    I am on both.. I am going to wait until I lose more before weaning off. I guess it depends on your situation.
    I agree with this. I am a physician asst student and I have seen people go off of them for one reason or another and have hypertensive emergencies. So it would depend on the situation. Increasing high-potassium vegetables and taking magnesium supplements can help a lot, as well as exercise. I have a friend who was on an ACE-I and was able to wean off after he finally quit caffeine, increased exercise, and started magnesium supplements. In your case, though, you're on 2 meds. So it's going to take more work. I would see if you could find a good holistic MD/DO to help you with this. Their goal is to get you off these drugs, not keep you one them like conventional docs.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bebop View Post
    Anybody given up ace inhibitors and diuretics??? I've been on 'em for 10 yrs but would love to stop...wondering about any successes or failures...
    thanks!
    My colleague got his hypertension under control by following Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution and limiting fructose intake, even from fruit. His hypertension is sensitive to fruit and caffine. He's completely off of his meds now.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I was on a diuretic, which I definitely needed so that my lungs didn't start to fill up. I have repeatedly refused to take Lisinopril. After going on primal (actually more like Archevore), I found that the diuretic was severely dehydrating me so I quit. I do take magnesium and eat lots of potatoes. I keep my daily carbs well under 100 grams.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.