Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback Needed (3 months into primal) page

Goldstar is offline Senior Member

Feedback Needed (3 months into primal)

Shop Now
    I've been working on going primal now for a few months and feel it's time to get some feedback on the changes. Here's generally what I eat in a week:

2-3 avocados
    1/4 lb lamb or beef liver
    1/2 lb lean ground beef
    2 large chicken breasts or thighs with skin
    2 lbs pork or beef strips (little fat if any)
    1 - 2 servings salmon
    2 packages bacon (daily breakfast)
    8 - 12 eggs
    3-4 pints heavy cream
    5 - 7 oz gouda or goat cheese
    5 - 6 bananas
    3 - 4 cups berries
    1 - 2 green & black chocolate bars
    1 sweet potato (or 1/2 sweet potato plus 1/3 c white rice) daily
    small handful almonds daily
    cabbage, greens, tomatoes, cukes, bell peppers, carrots daily
    coconut oil for cooking and salads
    EVOO for salads
    kombucha
    occassional TBSP plain yogurt

My goal is to get around 150g carbs each day, hence the sweet potatoes and bananas, although chocolate and berries add to that I'm sure. I believe according to my lean body mass that my protein requirements are around 50g. I'm 5'6" and 120lbs. My only exercise is walking right now.

What I'd like to know is, does my consumption of any of these foods seem excessive? Does the overall balance of proteins/carbs/fats seem good to you? Am I too heavy on the saturated fats, if that's possible?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    There's no way anyone can give you an answer until they know at least

goals
    medical condition
    activity level
    progress so far

about you, and preferably also

sleep
    stress
    medications
    alcohol/other drug use

Then maybe we can give an informed opinion.

otzi Guest
    Not sure what you are trying to do--lose weight, gain, maintain? I'm a 5'11, 175lbs guy and I'd say overall you are eating twice what I eat in a week. But, everything on that list looks primal enough. If you are meeting your goals--good job! About the only thing I see is 5-6 bananas, most PB people seem to try to limit sugary fruit to 1-2 per week. If you are trying to lose, I see a lot of things you could drop or limit (chocolate, cream, berries, cheese, cream).

Hey, thanks to you both, I appreciate the responses. And thanks for the tip on the bananas. I am in my 40s, female, never been overweight and scared to get any thinner actually. My exercise is a 45 minute daily walk. I went to a naturopath for fatigue, IBS, and basically losing all of my muscle tone. Ironically, overall, I am healthy and all my tests for vitamins and hormones are good, except that my naturopath told me I am insulin resistant. He told me to cut the grains and carbs and eat more meats/fats/veggies. That's how I found PB. My fatigue is nearly gone now, my IBS is under control, doesn't even bother me unless I drink alcohol, and I would eventually like to gain back some muscle once I get this routine diet down. I do wish I had more energy to exercise with heavy weights.

When I cut the grains I lost too much weight, hence all the fatty foods I found keeping me steady now. I worry about too much protein and fat, though. I wonder if it is safe to eat avocados every day, how much cream is too much, and if coconut is necessarily healthier than dairy. I sleep like a rock 8-9 hours. Stress level is low/normal. Awaiting cortisol test results. I drink probably a 6 pack of beer per month. My only meds are asthma and ibuprofen. I can't believe I eat twice what otzi eats, how can that be?
    Last edited by Goldstar; 09-21-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar View Post
    Hey, thanks to you both, I appreciate the responses. And thanks for the tip on the bananas. I am in my 40s, female, never been overweight and scared to get any thinner actually. My exercise is a 45 minute daily walk. I went to a naturopath for fatigue, IBS, and basically losing all of my muscle tone. Ironically, overall, I am healthy and all my tests for vitamins and hormones are good, except that my naturopath told me I am insulin resistant. He told me to cut the grains and carbs and eat more meats/fats/veggies. That's how I found PB. My fatigue is nearly gone now, my IBS is under control, doesn't even bother me unless I drink alcohol, and I would eventually like to gain back some muscle once I get this routine diet down. I do wish I had more energy to exercise with heavy weights.

When I cut the grains I lost too much weight, hence all the fatty foods I found keeping me steady now. I worry about too much protein and fat, though. I wonder if it is safe to eat avocados every day, how much cream is too much, and if coconut is necessarily healthier than dairy. I sleep like a rock 8-9 hours. Stress level is low/normal. Awaiting cortisol test results. I drink probably a 6 pack of beer per month. My only meds are asthma and ibuprofen. I can't believe I eat twice what otzi eats, how can that be?
    It can be because you are trying to gain/maintain weight. That makes a huge difference.

All the fats you listed are tremendous for you!

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I eat more protein than that - I am 5'7" and 120lbs and I eat around 80-100g of protein a day - looks like your protein is a little on the low side. And you may eat twice what some men eat - we really all have different metabolisms and it is amazing how much some people can eat and not gain weight. I would watch the avocados, they are high in omega 6 PUFAs. Why not track your food intake in a program for a day or 2 and see how it looks regarding what calories you are getting, your macronutrient ratios, and your vitamin and mineral intake?

I generally end up (while maintaining) at around 1/3 of my calories from each of carbs, fat and protein. I eat a fair bit of fruit - the sugars in fruit seem to suit me better than the starches in sweet potatoes, etc.

We are each individual in what twist on paleo works for us. Lots of people here are very low carb, but it is not the only way to go, especially if you are maintaining, or close to it.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Karin, I actually would prefer not to be very low carb. Good idea about tracking my meals for a few days. I'm intrigued, what types/how much fruit do you eat? And what do you mean by you do better with fruit sugars than starches? Is it an energy or digestion thing? Do you have IR, too? Thanks for the input.

Would fresh coconut meat be a good substitute for avocado?

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Fresh coconut meat would be an awesome substitute for avocados.

I have digestive issues, and end up with the runs if I just look at the wrong foods, lol. My tummy seems happier with fruit, as long as I don't overdo having too much at any one time (like not the 1/2 a cantaloupe at one time I tried a few weeks ago - not a good idea). I also feel better on the fruit carbs (sugar rather than starch) - my energy is better and I feel "lighter" I guess would be the best word. I am taking in prolly around 150g of carbs a day now, mostly in fruit. There is a paleo guy named Ray Peat, whose ideas I have been reading lately, and his take on paleo is what I have naturally fallen into, which is high red meat and milk products, and fruit - some veggies, but avoid ones that have toxic qualities for the most part (not many leafy greens). I dunno if it would work for everyone, but it is for me. The one concession I make is I use goat milk rather than cows, because I have big tummy issues with cows milk and goats milk doesn't upset my stomach at all.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar View Post
    I can't believe I eat twice what otzi eats, how can that be?
    I IF from 6pm til noon, don't snack. Rarely eat cheese, nuts, or fruit.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I would definitely vote for increasing your protein. Depending on your body comp, 115lb is probably the minimum you could go for a healthy lean body mass (as in, structure and minimal musculature included, but not the the point of wasting away). I base this off of me being the same height, and being terribly thin (around 112-115lbs) throughout high school.

But overall, if you're feeling good, why are you worried? Is there something you're looking to improve? You said you're worried about getting thinner, but are you actually getting thinner now, and are you looking to gain weight?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast