Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feedback Needed (3 months into primal) page 2

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I wouldn't worry about the bananas at all (I'm a pro-real-carb paleo girl myself, and think we each have unique needs and some of us do better staying at moderate carb levels.) *You* are not trying to lose weight so it really should not be an issue staying in the maintenance range (100-150g carbs a day), or even going a bit above that depending on activity levels etc. The forum sways more towards low/very low carb than moderate carb, in large part b/c so many folks are dealing w/ metabolic issues and trying to lose weight. Sweet potatoes, bananas, berries and even white rice are all pretty 'primal' carb sources which *you* may need in order to function optimally due to your weight, metabolism, etc. (We are all so different!)

I think if you feel awesome, your health is good, sleep is good, weight is good, etc., that's what really matters! IMO, you are NOT taking in too much sat. fat, and there are many who would say of all the fats, (mono, PUFAs, and sat.,) saturated is the kind you want the MOST of. You may find the info on The Perfect Health Diet site helpful--their recommendations seem very in line w/ what is working for you currently.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    I also feel better on the fruit carbs (sugar rather than starch) - my energy is better and I feel "lighter" I guess would be the best word. I am taking in prolly around 150g of carbs a day now, mostly in fruit. There is a paleo guy named Ray Peat, whose ideas I have been reading lately, and his take on paleo is what I have naturally fallen into, which is high red meat and milk products, and fruit - some veggies, but avoid ones that have toxic qualities for the most part (not many leafy greens). I dunno if it would work for everyone, but it is for me. The one concession I make is I use goat milk rather than cows, because I have big tummy issues with cows milk and goats milk doesn't upset my stomach at all.
    Interesting Karin! I've gotta look into that--I've read something by Ray Peat before. Maybe Stabby linked to him once? I personally feel much better w/ fruit sugars in place of starches (although I cannot do any dairy...) and also eat in the maintenance range for carbs, on average. I absolutely know what you mean by feeling 'lighter' when avoiding starches. Will be googling more on that today!

And Goldstar, starches may work GREAT for you, so don't cut them b/c some of us w/ gut issues (etc) feel better w/out them. From my reading here, it seems that more forumers prefer starch over fruit (in large part b/c of the lack of fructose) as a primal carb source when needed. See that Perfect Health Diet link I shared for more on a pro-starch argument. It's really all about figuring out what works best *for you*. (In general from reading folks n=1 reports, it also seems those who tend towards being 'too' thin naturally may do better w/ added starches. YMMV. )

For a great thread on starchy carb sources which may be useful, check out this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread19263.html
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    *You* are not trying to lose weight so it really should not be an issue staying in the maintenance range (100-150g carbs a day), or even going a bit above that depending on activity levels etc. The forum sways more towards low/very low carb than moderate carb, in large part b/c so many folks are dealing w/ metabolic issues and trying to lose weight.

I think if you feel awesome, your health is good, sleep is good, weight is good, etc., that's what really matters! IMO, you are NOT taking in too much sat. fat, and there are many who would say of all the fats, (mono, PUFAs, and sat.,) saturated is the kind you want the MOST of.
    FairyRae, it has taken me a while to realize that many members here are working on weight loss. I was confused about whether to go low carb or moderate carb based on the low carb discussions here so I appreciate you pointing that out. Hooray, I just finished reading The Perfect Health Diet book! I decided to go for the 100-150g carbs per day because of it. What I haven't decided on is the best carbs for me.

There's not much info I can find regarding carbs for people who are IR, working at maintaining weight, and want to go primal/paleo. It seems like the advice is usually based on people with good metabolisms. I agree with you gals that fruit feels better than starches, but since I have no idea how I got to be insulin resistant I've been leary of it. Sweet potatoes feel heavy and filling, white rice makes me hungrier, bananas make me a little bloated. I do feel I could do better in this area. Since there is so much conflicting advice regarding fruit and IR I have no idea what to do. Would love to know what fruits you and Karin have chosen as staples? I think you are both very sweet and I appreciate your help.

Karin, I'm envious. I absolutely love goat milk. I couldn't do cow milk either and then I got hooked on goat milk. Unfortunately, it made my arthritis flare and my cravings for it kept getting stronger, so I quit and switched to cows cream (because I can't get goat cream.) It's weird how we cannot tolerate cow milk, but we can tolerate cream and butter.

namelesswonder, not trying to lose or gain, just maintain and get my ratios correct and avoid causing new health problems. I'm not good with ratios. I thought if I made a list of what I eat, any glaring ratio problems would stand out.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    The fruits I stick with most are oranges, orange juice, berries, grapes and melons. Some fruits tend to be higher in polyols, and those I tend to stay away from (apples, pears, plums, apricots). As well, I try to stay away from things that are high in phytoestrogens, since I can tend to be estrogen dominant anyways (it is rampant in women in their mid forties).

I think both the goats milk and the fruit are fairly easily digested, and that seems to be the most helpful for my digestive system. It feels like it is giving it a break, which it needs to heal. I may be able to go back to more types of fruit and to cows milk if the tummy gets healing. Even if not, I am feeling comfortable on this, and anyone else who has had these sort of issues knows that feeling good is well worth it, if you can!

In regards to being insulin resistant - I think you have to try out and see what seems to suit you best. I have taken a few different approaches over the time I have been here, and I am continuing to zero in on what is working best for me now. Chris Masterjohn wrote a great post a few months back saying that what works for someone else may not work for you, and what did work for you before, may not be what works for you now - that it is a matter of trying things out: The Daily Lipid: Against Dietary Dogmatism
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    Goldstar,

I recommend keeping a food journal for a few weeks, but also record how you feel each day. Eventually you will have enough data to look for patterns between how you feel and what you eat. You could start by leaving out every food you suspect might be a problem for you. Stick with this very strict diet for 2 or 3 weeks, then add foods in one at a time and record how you feel. Bottom line is that you need data!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar View Post
    I agree with you gals that fruit feels better than starches, but since I have no idea how I got to be insulin resistant I've been leary of it. Sweet potatoes feel heavy and filling, white rice makes me hungrier, bananas make me a little bloated. I do feel I could do better in this area. Since there is so much conflicting advice regarding fruit and IR I have no idea what to do. Would love to know what fruits you and Karin have chosen as staples? I think you are both very sweet and I appreciate your help.
    I actually prefer bananas and berries (probably eat some of each daily--frozen berries and at least one ripe banana.) Then I just go for whatever is in season and available.

I think the food journal idea is great.

Also, you mentioned arthritis--you may want to look into nightshades being a possible problem (if you haven't already). This thread may be of help: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread19307.html

Good luck w/ everything! Do keep talking about any issues you are having and maybe some of the folks here can help!
    My Before/After Pics

Karin, love the Chris Masterjohn article!! Thanks for sharing!
    My Before/After Pics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12