Thread: Need Water Kefir Help page

Goldstar is offline Senior Member

Need Water Kefir Help

Shop Now
    I dug some old water kefir crystals out of my cupboard and started making coconut water kefir. Just coconut water, a slice of lemon and a piece of dried ginger. The first 3 batches came out great, though the lemon slices seemed to be growing something whitish on them so I switched to lemon juice. This last batch had a weird skinlike film on the top so I threw it out. I washed the jar in between batches with soap and hot tap water. I also rinsed the grains between each batch with lukewarm tap water. What am I doing wrong? Also wondering if the grains wear out over time or if they will continue to grow indefinitely? I have to buy some more grains and try again, want to get this right. Anyone have experience with this?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I would make some ordinary water kefir for a few times, to strengthen the crystals up again. Look at this site

Dom's Kefir-making in-site

for some ideas on how to revive grains.

mamagault is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I would make some ordinary water kefir for a few times, to strengthen the crystals up again. Look at this site

Dom's Kefir-making in-site

for some ideas on how to revive grains.
    +1

Mine sometimes have had the film on them. As long as its just on the citrus & everything smells fine, I still drink it. It actually sounds like you left it to culture a little long.

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Awesome, thanks so much for the input and the link! Very much appreciated.