Thread: Cooking Once a Week page

colejames is offline Member

Cooking Once a Week

Primal Fuel
    I did a search on this topic, but only came up with a few threads and the information in them was very scattered so I thought I could use all your help.

I'm a male college student. By default, I don't exactly have much forte in cooking . The first few years of university, I ate in dining halls. And before that, obviously my family did the cooking. This year I'm living in an apartment style dorm so I have my own kitchen. Anyway, I'm very busy juggling my social life, school, working out, etc so I find cooking one day for the entire week is easiest. I need some advice though.

1. Where do I store cooked vegetables and meats assuming it all gets eaten within a week? Freezer, Fridge? Do some things need to go in the freezer while others in the fridge?

2. What do I store them in? Plastic bags? Glass Containers? Tupperware?

3. What staple dishes should I make? What recipes stores well and are easy to make? I'm thinking simple recipes here please, using things like ground beef or chicken breast etc. the basics. Oh, and without any obscure ingredients that I would only buy to use once.

4. Any other recommendations and tips you learned from your experience cooking?

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    A typical week for us is to make many servings of something like a meatloaf, frittata, and some sort of soup. This all stores in the fridge for a week+ fine. I go ahead and divide into individual servings and wrap separately.

For example, last week I cooked the following on Sunday for the week:

10 mini meatloaves
    9x13 of a chicken and kale frittata
    Large batch of Thai sweet potato soup

This week:

Smoked 6 salmon filets and 4 chicken breasts for salads, cut up all salad stuff
    Mexican inspired fritatta with beef, spinach, and cheese
    Large batch of Chicken mushroom soup
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    i cook my lunches ahead only .. usually ground beef patties or something very similar .. LOVE that i get that outta the way ..
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    A typical week for us is to make many servings of something like a meatloaf, frittata, and some sort of soup. This all stores in the fridge for a week+ fine. I go ahead and divide into individual servings and wrap separately.

For example, last week I cooked the following on Sunday for the week:

10 mini meatloaves
    9x13 of a chicken and kale frittata
    Large batch of Thai sweet potato soup

This week:

Smoked 6 salmon filets and 4 chicken breasts for salads, cut up all salad stuff
    Mexican inspired fritatta with beef, spinach, and cheese
    Large batch of Chicken mushroom soup
    How do you make your mini meatloaves? Muffin pan? Or something else?

I typically make a week's worth of food and then leave 3 days out at a time while the rest gets frozen, then I just thaw some out as I go through the week. I wish I could convince myself to let food sit in the fridge longer but a lifetime of growing up with the 3 day rule has ruined me.

edit:
    I generally cook a bunch of chicken, some kind of crockpot roast or soup, and leave breakfast out because I like cooking my eggs and sausage every morning.

Start the crockpot sunday morning, roast 10 peices of chicken that night, and then for the next week all you have to do is throw some vegetables together and microwave your food.

colejames is offline Member
    cool thanks for the advice. anyone have any solid meatloaf recipes?

primalblonde is offline Member
    Yes, meatloaf recipes, please. Just got my first crock pot. =)

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    For mini meatloaves I just form the meat into mini meatloaves (size depends on your desired portion) and bake, typically on top of a cooling rack placed on top of a cookie sheet.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    If you eat something that you cooked two days before, doesn't it eliminate the majority of nutrients you intended to consume since cooked veggies lose nutrients once picked, and especially once cooked?