Thread: Primal Suggestions for Nicotine Withdrawals / Detox? page

WinkBlu is offline Member

Primal Suggestions for Nicotine Withdrawals / Detox?

Shop Now
    I've been trying to quit smoking as part of the 30 day challenge (obviously not the ONLY reason but it seemed a good time to get serious about it). I quit smoking for 6 years using the patch and I know it works for me, but I was wondering if going "cold turkey" would be better. Using the patch helps with the withdrawal symptions, but it's bothering me that I would still putting nicotine in my body

Has anyone quit smoking since going primal? Which method did you use? Are there any primal suggestions for speeding up the detox or helping with cravings?

TIA
    "As if you could kill time without injuring eternity"

Primal Journal *WinkBlu*

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried the gum? It tastes like crap, but it works well too. I know several bodybuilders who use it to help reduce food cravings when they are dieting for a show. Nicotine has been shown to help with fat loss as well, but the delivery methods are usually crappy.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    I quit before going primal by going cold turkey. Took me about 2-3 weeks before most of the cravings went away. I just imagined all the cells in my body which had formed receptors to absorb nicotine and I was determined to starve them and render those receptors useless.

Just keep in mind that you will probably have an easier time of it since you are now primal. A *really* good way to stop a nic. fit is to do a sprint, or do some squats. Good luck.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WinkBlu View Post
    Has anyone quit smoking since going primal? Which method did you use? Are there any primal suggestions for speeding up the detox or helping with cravings?
    TIA
    1) I quit smoking since going primal. I've had in the past quit (before primal), and one cigarette would cause a chain reaction that would lead to a relapse (casual smoked led to buying a pack for the week led to buying a pack every day). So, to test the primal/paleo version, I purposely hung out with friends who smoke for an evening. I smoked with them but didn't relapse (didn't have an urge to buy a pack, or go out and smoke with the "smoking group" here at work, whom I used to be a regular member of). 2 months passed, and I hung out with them again (I'm big on self experimentation). Didn't smoke at all.

2) I don't have solid evidence but I do believe the higher fat and completely eliminating refined sugar and wheat products in my diet had something to do with it. Before the diet, I've had chronic episodes of mania and anxiety. Don't have them any more so I wonder if they're also related to me quitting smoking.

3) the hardest (though not really that hard once I got used to it) was smoking while driving. I have a 1 hour commute and smoking passed the time. On the advice of a friend, I got myself a thermos and a Keurig coffee maker and drank coffee to occupy my hands and mouth during my drive. Worked well.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    Just keep in mind that you will probably have an easier time of it since you are now primal. A *really* good way to stop a nic. fit is to do a sprint, or do some squats. Good luck.
    +1. getting moving will likely help a lot with the habit part of smoking. tea tree chewing sticks are great for the oral sensation part, and the flavor(s) can really help too. the chemical addiction is probably less than the habitual addiction, but those chewing sticks and exercise are great distractions from those cravings too.

WinkBlu is offline Member
    thanks for all your suggestions!

@icarian yeah I'm convinced nicotine reduces hunger as I thinner when I smoke than when I don't. The gum really does taste like crap so it's really not an option for me.

@Grok - Love your imagery! I will try to remember it when I get a craving. I work in an office, so squatting or sprints would cause some raised eyebrows, but at least I can take a lap around the auditorium or squat if no ones looking!

@primalrob - thanks for the suggestion! I found some tea tree toothpicks at my local food co-op and they do seem to help!

thanks again everyone and wish me luck!!!

@pacificbeef -
    "As if you could kill time without injuring eternity"

Primal Journal *WinkBlu*