Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a calorie counter? Example fit day? page

Question Do you use a calorie counter? Example fit day?

Shop Now
    I'm curious to see how many people use these programs, and if you think it Hurts or helps your progress. I am stalled right now and I wonder if I am focusing on this app I have or not. Thanks

Mark
    Started at 307 regular diet and exercise went to 285 and stalled. Went primal and went to 227! I always was a brutish caveman now I eat like one!
    Goal weight.....?

June is offline Senior Member
    I use fatsecret on some days, but I'm very mindful not to let it interrupt my progress. I don't want to shoot for a target macro/micro goal because then I'm out of tune with what my body wants and needs. I did a leptin reset and used it mostly then, but now I feel like I can trust my hunger more. If you are gaining unexpectedly, it might be a good idea. I like fatsecret the best, the phone app is amazing.

I think it makes me worry too much about how many fats and calories I take it. Makes menfeel I need to hit these goals to succeed. Primal man didn't do this. I like your take on it. Thanks for the reply
    Started at 307 regular diet and exercise went to 285 and stalled. Went primal and went to 227! I always was a brutish caveman now I eat like one!
    Goal weight.....?

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    I use cronometer to track my intake, but all of these programs are rough estimates. Considering that, I'll use it to make sure I'm getting close to the right ratios of fats and enough vitamins/minerals.

I would, however, steer clear of these things if you are obsessive about such things. If you are a scale slave, for instance, I would try to avoid them.

PapaGrok is offline Member
    I like to check my vitamins/minerals and carbs once in a while. Usually at the end of the day, so that it doesn't influence what I eat. I've definitely identified some correlations between how many carbs I eat and my fat loss.

I use paleotrack.com. It's specifically designed for PB and the paleo diet.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    I use Excel.

Being dead-on-accurate isn't important when counting calories/nutrients. Being consistent is much more vital - that way you can adjust things upwards or downwards based upon your experiences and know what the effect will be.

cranehigh is offline Senior Member
    When I track, I use sparkpeople.com, since that's what I was using to lose weight before starting PB.

That said, one of my goals for this 30 day challenge has been to not track at all. It was hard at first but is beginning to feel more natural. I think I'll end up tracking a couple of days once in a while just to check in, but I have a hard time imagining going back to daily tracking at this point.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    I use Lose It. That's actually where I started before I came to MDA and went primal. I'm still tracking my calories and exercise every day, but more of a guideline than an OMG STAY WITHIN BUDGET!!! That being said, I'm finding it extremely easy to stay within a weekly budget. Some days, I go way over; others are way under. Once I get to my target weight (only five pounds away...but man, about two inches away on my hips) and maintain, I will probably stop logging on Lose It.

Clutch is offline Junior Member
    I use FitDay and have in the past used SparkPeople.com. More than anything I'm using FitDay at present to weed out things/foods I thought were ok carb wise but don't fit my particular protocol. Call it an ongoing experiment in journaling what I eat and what I do physically. I don't take it to heart too much as the more I learn the more I instinctively know what and what not to eat and journaling has helped with that. I track not only food but fitness, weight, moods and even blood pressure. It's helped me answer questions like, "do I eat more when I'm sad or depressed?" (yes); "do I eat more when I'm stressed?" (no) It's helped me realize that my emotional state plays a big part in not only when and how much I eat but WHAT I eat at those times. I've recently learned by logging my blood pressure before and after my favorite football team's games that I do indeed get pretty worked up about a silly game. My BP is noticeably higher after a game than before and even more so after a close, down to the wire game.

For me it's a continuing journey of discovery into my own body and its workings. What it is to you is up to you but I've found it fascinating and, believe it or not, liberating - I just don't worry about numbers so much after logging - it is what it is. Besides my truest "fit test" is hugging my wife... we're both much easier to wrap around now that we're smaller! That's been THE success so far to us!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Nope, I don't track or restrict calories or macronutrients. I do avoid gluten, xO6 and xfructose, though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast