Thread: lack of sleep and decisions page

dado Guest

lack of sleep and decisions

Primal Fuel
    I didn't sleep much last night, and today I am making terrible decisions. Is this the same for everyone here?

I ate 3 oreo cookies already, I feel terrible.

sstan03 is offline Junior Member
    most definitely. It is real easy to make bad decisions when we have little to no sleep. I am usually running off of about 5 - 6 hours of sleep a night and at times i find i talk myself into eating stuff that i normally would not. Just stay strong. one mistake does not mess up the entire day!!!

dado Guest
    Thanks sstan03, I'll try to keep my head high and my brain strong.

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    Ymmv, but this is very common, and the reasoning behind forcing hospitals, etc. to set minimum hours for docs. It's criminal, both for the docs health and their pts. Personally, I have both a shorter attention span and a higher amount of silly mistakes if I have one bad night of sleep. After several, I lose mental toughness. As in, someone puts a math problem in front of me and I give up easily.

dado Guest
    Aye, indeed. I've noticed some people handle lack of sleep better than others, but without a solid 7 or so I am garbage and susceptible to marijuana and alcohol use in addition to scarfing down sugar laden snacks like they were holy biscuits at communion.

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    Patient Safety: Sleep Deprived Doctors Making Mistakes :: Halifax Medical Malpractice Lawyer Blog
    Not dumping on drs. here necessarily, but the profession is one of the last holdouts. Except for computer people. But they just get in-efficient and slow and can correct their work when they wake up.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    It also saps creativity. Makes me too lazy to think of a good food to eat when I am hungry, and it seriously messes with hormones.

For me, I have found (and I have a lot of experience with this as I have sleep apnea and the CPAP mask I am supposed to sleep with is a PITA!!), anyway, I have found that if I lower my carb intake and increase protein it helps, since digesting and processing carbs makes me even more sleepy. I also like tea with a tablespoon of either coconut milk or coconut oil and a few drops of stevia, because I also find I want something sweet when I am tired and this helps with that.

One more thing I like to do, if you can manae it, I like to listen to a 30 minute mediation-especially one with binaural beats in it (you can google it and find free downloads) it really helps to make me feel rested where a nap just wipes me out and makes it harder to fall asleep that night.

Good Luck.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    We all make poor decisions when we are in a low mood. Realize this and allow your thoughts to drift. Once you're thoughts are more relaxed the decisions will take care of themselves.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!