Thread: Krav Maga? page

Krav Maga?

I was wondering if anyone around here has taken or is currently involved in krav maga? A good friend of mine and her husband are considering taking krav maga. They recently went primal and have been looking for a good workout that they could do together.

Do you have to be a certain fitness level to benefit from krav maga? Is it a grueling workout or something that anyone of any fitness level could expect to benefit from??
    Last edited by auntie thesis; 09-21-2011 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Are verbs really necessary? Yes, they are...

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    I did it for about a year. It is intense, but you really scale the intensity to your own levels.

sstan03 is offline Junior Member
    I am currently taking Krav Maga. I love it and have been doing it for about a year. It can be a grueling workout but any good instructor will tell them to work at their pace. They will build up pretty quickly as long as they listen to what their body is telling them. Make sure they do their research and find a good school. Again, I love it and attend class 4 time a week. It is awesome knowing I can defend myself and family if i need to but it is also a great workout.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    @sstan03: Where do you take it? I did it in DC in Chinatown. It was a blast until I blew out my shoulder! (not nec KM related, but it didn't help, that's for sure.)

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to chime in with a yes! I also did it for about a year until I busted my knee and I miss the combination of ass-kicking and community. It's hard- really hard- but you do as much as you can so everyone gets their asses kicked. I've seen all fitness levels from a woman recovering from abdominal surgery to military and prison guards in the same class. You also get to know the people- since you tend to be in much closer contact than, say, an aerobics class.

Sstan03- which one in Maryland? I was at the Owings Mills one. Great people! Is Jeff still running it?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I loved it and really want to get back into it soon (money's a little tight right now). One of my instructors just went to the Boston Paleo conference with Robb Wolff. It's very much about functional movement and strength- pushups, squats, pullups, planks, etc- as well as intense "sprints" of maximum effort every now and then.

A good instructor will tell people (and help them) to work at an appropriate level and pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    @sstan03: Where do you take it? I did it in DC in Chinatown. It was a blast until I blew out my shoulder! (not nec KM related, but it didn't help, that's for sure.)
    I take it in Columbia, MD. I do the late morning classes (10:30 and 11:30). I have seen a couple people get hurt but that was due to injuries they already had.

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    I'd like to chime in with a yes! I also did it for about a year until I busted my knee and I miss the combination of ass-kicking and community. It's hard- really hard- but you do as much as you can so everyone gets their asses kicked. I've seen all fitness levels from a woman recovering from abdominal surgery to military and prison guards in the same class. You also get to know the people- since you tend to be in much closer contact than, say, an aerobics class.

Sstan03- which one in Maryland? I was at the Owings Mills one. Great people! Is Jeff still running it?
    Jeff Mount is in charge of both and I think the other Jeff is running the Owings Mills. I have taken 2 tests there in Owings Mills, nice place but small compared to the Columbia location.

kap
    kap is offline Member
    Krav Maga looks awesome. But here in the midwest finding someone teaching it is not easy. Does anybody know of someone doing it in the far west suburbs of Chicago? The couple of places in the Chicago area are either in the city proper or up on the north shore. I told my son he could learn it if we found an instructor within a reasonable distance from home ( ~ 40 miles west of Chicago). Thanks.

Kevin

Agreed, kap. We're all located in the KC area and the closest place my friend found is a good 30-40 miles away. That's another deciding factor for them, actually. They don't know if they want to spend the money on the classes and the commute or if they'd rather get memberships a gym instead.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That is a tough call. I live about 35 miles from where i train but I work about 10 miles away, thus going during lunch time. I love it and would totally miss it if i had to stop.