Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Constipation: am I doing it all wrong? page

MrRoberts is offline Member

Constipation: am I doing it all wrong?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I'm 41 and been on the Paleo program for the last 6 months with fantastic result.

Went from 18% body fat to 7% and have plenty of energy than ever before.

To get to the point, I noticed I don't have a regular bowel movement every day, but every 3 - 4 days. I don't find that normal or it is?

I had to take Epsom salt in the morning to get it going after 3rd or 4th day, which I shouldn't have to. I mean eating the Paleo diet should be enough to maintain a regular bowel movement. I used to have 2 or 3 bowel movements a day.

I don't drink alcohol, soda pop, tea, or coffee. I don't smoke. I don't eat sugaring foods.

Typical daily foods I consumed:

06:00am: Large glass (2 cups) of filtered warm water with a squeeze of Lemon

06:30am: Large glass (2 cups) of filtered warm water with a tablespoon of Wheat-grass, Super Enzymes and Probiotics

07:00am: Three large free-range eggs scrambled in free-range butter. Half a Grapefruit and a small to medium size Apple. A mug of herb tea

10:30am: A mug of herb tea or glass of water

11:00am: A can of Wild Salmon with Olive Oil, half an Avocado and a Rocket salad with Bell Peppers, Celery and Cucumber. A mug of herb tea

14:00pm: A mug of herb tea or glass of water

17:00pm: Light Stir-Fried with chopped Chicken, Broccoli, Bell Peppers and garlic in Sesame Oil. A cup of fresh Strawberries. A mug of herb tea

21:00pm: Glass of water with Magnesium and Vitamin-C

Am I missing out something?

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm it all looks good to me, having said that, I have also found that I'm less regular than prior to going primal. When you think about it, all that fibre we got through grains was bound to make us more regular than the veggie-fibres we consume now. I'm probably every 2nd day now, compared to 1-2 daily when I was eating SAD. Every 3-4 days sounds a bit much though, have you looked into herbal remedies?

Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    Hmmm it all looks good to me, having said that, I have also found that I'm less regular than prior to going primal. When you think about it, all that fibre we got through grains was bound to make us more regular than the veggie-fibres we consume now. I'm probably every 2nd day now, compared to 1-2 daily when I was eating SAD. Every 3-4 days sounds a bit much though, have you looked into herbal remedies?
    I know I could take some herbal remedies, but I shouldn't have to...

Or should I?

Is this normal on a Paleo diet not to have a bowel movement every day? I need to know because I don't like the idea of leaving toxin wastes in my colon for days.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    When you go primal you eat less fibre. Its not a problem but you dont need to poop as often. Poop is basically fibre we can't digest.

If its a bit difficult, eat more fat, it's an intestinal lubricant.

Otherwise don't worry, youre doing great!
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    When you go primal you eat less fibre. Its not a problem but you dont need to poop as often. Poop is basically fibre we can't digest.

If its a bit difficult, eat more fat, it's an intestinal lubricant.

Otherwise don't worry, youre doing great!
    What about stories I heard where foods go rotten in the colon and cause major diseases?

PJL75 is offline Junior Member
    Do you take Omega-3 supplement?
    I found that when I eat fish oil pills, I only go to the can once a week... and it's not a pleasant experience.

I've never really eaten fish, can't stand it (though I've really tried to). That's why I started the fish pills.
    Now I'm thinking that I'm allergic or something. I seem to bee doing just fine without fish in my diet, so I'm not bothering about it anymore.

/Johan

Quote Originally Posted by PJL75 View Post
    Do you take Omega-3 supplement?
    I found that when I eat fish oil pills, I only go to the can once a week... and it's not a pleasant experience.

I've never really eaten fish, can't stand it (though I've really tried to). That's why I started the fish pills.
    Now I'm thinking that I'm allergic or something. I seem to bee doing just fine without fish in my diet, so I'm not bothering about it anymore.

/Johan
    No. I don't take Omega-3. I use Virgin Coconut, Hemp or Olive oil.

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    More fruit, more fibrous veggies.

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Do you actually feel like you HAVE to go, but once you're on the toilet, you can't?

If you're not having problems, then there's nothing wrong. 3 days is normal.
    This is also true with cats, if you feed them grain, they go all the time, but if they eat their natural carnivorous diet, they don't go often at all. That's because they can't digest grain, so it comes all out. But because they CAN digest meat, their body actually uses most of it, so there is not much waste to dispose of. Does that mean they should eat grain? Of course not.

Same for us. The vegetables and fruit we eat have some fiber, and that should be enough.

But if you do feel like you have to go, and feel pain, then that's a different matter.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month

{ Don't forget to add MyFitnessPal nutrient summary image to journal on sundays }

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    you are eating less crap so you are going to make less crap

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast