Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RE: Primal Hair page 2

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Oh, and I should add I haven't been doing offal and bone broth. I should. I know. But I've just been eating meat and veg and veg and meat. Nothing fancy.

mamagault is offline Member
    Great to hear the success stories! I can tell that my hair is growing better/faster, and that of my nearly 3 year old son, too. We've been primal a few months now, maybe 2.5-3, with slightly more than 20% of "cheats" in our diet due to our church providing meals 3 times a week during a couple of months of bedrest and now 3 weeks postpartum (and many don't "get" our lifestyle, so just getting them to cut the wheat has been difficult).

Anyway, the toddler's hair was very dry and coarse, not growing quickly. It is now thick, soft, and growing much more quickly. It is gorgeous and feels healthy. (He has also gained 5 pounds and about 3 inches of height in the last month, thickening out & looking healthier in general).

As for me, I'm already starting the postpartum hair loss. But as I see that, I also see that there are tons of little hairs underneath, and my hair feels thicker & healthier, even with the postpartum hair loss starting. My hair is growing faster, and I find that I actually need to shave my arms about twice a week (usually I could go every 10 days!), and if it were still shorts weather, I'd be doing my legs as frequently too. It will be interesting to see the color of the hair, as well as texture, as it grows in better.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    @jammies: how are you incorporating bone broth into your life? Are you just drinking it, or putting a bit into other cooking, or what?
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Jammies - you are awesome - you started a few months before me, and you are giving me hope for me having thicker hair again too
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    My hair has always been pretty fine and VERY straight, but plentiful (wouldn't call it thick though). This year is the first year that I haven't dyed my hair in maybe 5-6 years and it's almost completely natural at this point (only a small remnant of blonde left on the ends...from fall of 09!), so the thicker and more healthful feeling I have could be attributed to that just as easily as my diet.

That being said, I am shedding a LOT more since going primal. I pluck hairs off my shoulders throughout the day and off the pillow after sleeping and pull out more when I wash my hair. I always wear my hair down so it can't have anything to do with wearing it up all day and causing strain at the roots...right? I wonder if it has anything to do with being in ketosis a lot (I'm bad at eating enough veggie so I usually just eat a lot of meat haha), or if it's in any way bad.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    Look at someone's eyes, hair, nails, skin, teeth and gums as well as how well they move and you can tell a lot about their health. A lot like horses
    This cracked me up! It is very true though - you could tell from a mile away that I wasn't healthy. Dull skin, dull eyes, crappy hair, no nails....great way to attract a mate let me tell you

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    @jammies: how are you incorporating bone broth into your life? Are you just drinking it, or putting a bit into other cooking, or what?
    Bone broth has become my new fast food Here is my confession though - I started making it a lot because I was buying chicken and boiling it for the dog! I got sick of spending all that time cooking just for him, so I started buying bone-in chicken for him and then buying a few necks and back and throwing it in while cooking his meat in the crock pot. He gets the meat (well, I guess most of it. I keep the broth (strained, but not defatted) in a jar in the fridge. I heat it up with frozen veggies and any type of meat (sometimes the chicken I cooked for the dog - but hey, it is organic dark meat chicken!). I also love to just drink a hot cup of it for breakfast or with dinner. Somehow it just nourishes me in a way other food doesn't. Beef broth make with beef bones and marrow is another great one, but I don't like it straight as much. I use it for beef stew, soup, or I throw a little in with my cauliflower mash. Good stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    Jammies - you are awesome - you started a few months before me, and you are giving me hope for me having thicker hair again too
    I hope it helps for you too! I had really sort of given up on it, but now I have hope again. I guess in a few months I'll see if it holds up. I have to say though, that I think this started more when I added in liver and bone marrow. Can't be sure though, but I'm not taking any chances and will keep eating these every week In fact, I am going to order the US wellness liverwurst today to make sure I keep eating offal.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Offal sneak-in via US Wellness liverwurst, FTW! (And try the braunschweiger, too, jammies -- it has more organs (more variety/broader nutrient spectrum) and I think it's even yummier than the liverwurst.)

FYI for anyone who has all the money in the world and/or is lazy: US Wellness makes and sells grass-fed beef bone broth straight from the famous Nourishing Traditions recipe. (LOVE this company. I'm thrilled that they are doing so well.)
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Stories about women re-growing hair on primal/paleo make me happy

Liver/marrow/broth are occasional for me, but this has inspired me to make it more of a regular thing (possibly with the help of U.S. Wellness). Do you ever use store-bought gelatin powder?

I noticed that my hair is a lot wavier now, when it used to be straighter. But I think that may also be because it is in that growing-out phase of the insufferable flippy ends. And possibly also because I stopped using chemical-laden hair products in favor of Indian herbs and apple cider vinegar. In the short-term my hair doesn't look as voluminous, but I know that in the long-term it will lead to healthier, thicker hair.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast