Thread: Fat intake page

chiccop99 is offline Junior Member

Fat intake

Shop Now
    I have recently started paleo for about the second time for about a week and a half. I have been doing CF for about a year and doing pretty well. I suspected that I would have a loss in energy levels as I got away from processed carbs, sugar, etc.... I did not eat too many of them to begin with so I have had not had any withdrawals. However, my WOD performances are understandably suffering. It has been suggested that I might not be getting enough healthy fats to provide energy to burn. I currently have been experiencing a pretty low appetite (zero cravings) in the last couple of days and I know that I might not be getting enough calories to fuel my workouts.
    Furthermore, I took Accutane several years ago and I am pretty sure that it has contributed to a very slow digestive process. Having said that, I cannot eat even moderate volumes of food at one time. So, the meals I eat have to be calorie dense and volume low.
    Do you have any suggestions on how I can get enough nutrients to fuel my workouts. I am pretty good in the kitchen and experiment alot. I use coconut oil, milk and water, fruit, lots of meat and veggies. I made paleo mayo and I love eggs and avocado.
    On the positive side, I have more all day energy than I have ever had, sleep better and feel more upbeat throughout the day. I have lost all my bloating, HALLELUJAH!! I am concerned with fueling my workouts.
    I have heard of people drinking small amounts of olive oil to have adequate fat intake.
    I am a 38 yo female, 5'3", 125 lbs a police officer and have been relatively athletic my whole life.

dado Guest
    I don't know, drink some milk post workout.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiccop99 View Post
    I have heard of people drinking small amounts of olive oil to have adequate fat intake.
    I don't know whether it's the root of your problem. Maybe you actually need more carbohydrate, since that seems to fuel hunger.

However, yes, you can drink/eat small amounts of fat to make sure you're getting enough. Either cook in it, put it on food, or just take a tablespoon or so—one of those 15 ml measuring tablespoons. So you can scramble eggs with a spoonful of butter, put a spoonful of olive oil on a salad, etc.

I think you might try coconut oil—since that is rich in medium-chain triglycerides, it's good for an energy boost:

MCT are easily digested, absorbed, and put to use nourishing the body. Unlike other fats, they put little strain on the digestive system and provide a quick source of energy ...
    Article 10612-Coconut Oil and Medium-Chain Triglicerides

If you don't want to eat it "as is" you can dissolve a spoonful in a cup of hot water. Sally Fallon she's she does that, and comments "that's my morning coffee".

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Just wanted to give a +1 to the coconut oil suggestion above. Some days I can just eat it off the spoon and other days that grosses me out, so I will put it in my morning coffee, as mentioned above. I run in the AMs (I know, heresy, but that's what I do...) and thus it doesn't work well for me to have breakfast right away, but I find that about a tablespoon of coconut oil will carry me thru my morning dog walk and subsequent run so that I can then have a nice big primal breakfast when I get home.

Best wishes figuring out your situation!