Thread: grass fed beef $$ page

stryker902 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I am really curious roughly how much people spend a month on grass fed beef. For one person what is an average cost? Im single, divorced and I dont think i can afford more than maybe a weeks worth of grass fed. I can buy almost all organic veggies and fruits. But looking at these grass fed prices, no way I can afford that and pay rent. (of course i do loose 50% of my income to child support and daycare)

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Cowpool. I went in and bought 1/8th beef. Averaged out to less than $2/lb. Also got 1/2 boar at about the same price.

It helps to invest in a chest freezer as well.

Kaizen Guest

Honestly I'd buy something that's better than grain fed but not go all out with the grass fed. You can find deals here and there on grass fed but it's still pricey. I just spent $22 on a grass fed rib eye steak. It's a decent size, but $22 still made me shriek. If you can afford a weeks worth of grass fed, have that and buy the rest "regular". It's still much healthier than eating non-primal foods. I know I won't be buying grass fed as often as I'd like, so I plan on buying some cheaper "grass fed, grain finished" meat as well. I figure it's still better than pure grain fed, but cheaper than grass fed.

Kaizen Guest

Oh by the way, I've been looking at this site:

http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/beef_cuts_and_prices.htm

Not sure how great it is, the website is kind of an eye sore but their prices look pretty good if you ask me. I'd try them out if I had a physical address.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Wow those are indeed some great prices!

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

denbro01 is offline Senior Member

whole foods sells two kinds of beef.

100% grass fed, and prices range from 7.99lb for chuck roast, stew meat, and ground up to 21.99lb for rib eyes.

they also sell their all natural beef. no antibotics, hormones, or junk like that. they are finished on barley, alfalfa, and potatoes and must meet whole foods animal compassion standards. all natural can range from 4.99 lb-24.99 lb(fillet) try onglet(hanger steak).

AndreaC is offline Member

I&#39;ve gotten meat from texasgrassfedbeef.com several times now. I&#39;ve loved it, especially the high fat ground beef, it makes regular ground beef look like chicken breast.

When you get a big order together of all the different animals they sell and factor in shipping and weight discounts, etc, mine usually comes to $5.50-5.70/lb. I always get beef, bison, poultry and butter.

I said it in another post, but their butter is awesome. I&#39;m out and it&#39;s not coming until tomorrow

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I buy meat from a local farmer who does a monthly buying club. I probably spend about $50-75/month, (family of 3) but I usually get a big order one month and then little orders of ground beef and stuff for the next 2-3 months. Ground beef is 4.50/lb. if you buy enough of it. Most items are around $5/lb if you buy them ala carte. I use this meat for dinners and stick to eggs, bacon and avocado for breakfast, commercial chicken for lunches like chicken salad, canned tuna, leftovers etc. I also buy a couple of organic, free range chickens per month and roast them on Sunday. This provides 2-3 dinners of soup, taco salad, etc.

You know, I think I spend more on groceries now, but if it were just me, just eating primally, I don&#39;t know if I would. I still buy a lot of diet coke, chips, skim milk, cereal, etc, for my husband. The combination makes our grocery bill higher, but if we just did one way of eating or another, I don&#39;t think I&#39;d spend any more.