Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Groktimus Primal's Experience

Hybrid View

Groktimus Primal's Experience

I'm a modern man from Massachusetts. I've always looked toward science and the future for answers. I've never been one to buy into religion or any concept that did not seem well grounded in fact. I was once about 400 LBS and with the help of low carb dieting I lost over 200 LBS however over many years I gained half of it back because I allowed the carbs to creep back into my life. I like Mark's reasoning and approach. I now consider myself a low carb primal lifestyler. I plan to post things I discover and interesting tidbits here as well as my weight and thoughts. -Jim

Began 11.01.10 @ 274 LBS
    Today 09.20.11 @ 219 LBS

Lightbulb Groktimus Primal's Atkin's vs. Primal

I know there are articles on this topic already but having recently read the Blueprint and everything I could get my hands on by Atkin's I feel the need to compare the two. I think that for those in need of serious weight loss that a thorough understanding of both is very helpful.

The Primal diet is a bit more liberal with the carbs but really not much if people stop treating Atkins like the induction phase is the entire diet. Also Atkin's always recommended sticking to whole foods even though he sold bars and shakes. Atkin's also recommended organic and grass fed foods as preferable and was pretty much against the consumption of grains. True he was more liberal with cheese and legumes not caring what time period such things became available to mankind.

He also advocated exercise in the form of play. His choice was tennis. Many folks seem to think he was anti-exercise. He considered supplementation a requirement of the modern diet.

Atkin's said his diet was a three legged stool of diet-exercise-supplementation. Now the Primal diet does make it more of a lifestyle by addressing sleep and types of exercise and even sun ex-poser. When you put the two diets together to customize it for personal preference and needs it is truly awesome.

Anytime I eat I consider what I like in relation to the carb count, nutritional content, whether it's a whole food and if my body can handle it based on Primal evolutionary concepts and experience. This has been a winning combination for me and pretty soon it is a thoughtless habit.

That is why I now call my lifestyle Primal Low Carb!

-Jim
    274/219/150

Groktimus Primal's -The Talosian Trap

The Talosian Trap

Alright this is a truly geeky reference in the title! For those of you more fortunate (who have lives) I will explain the reference from Star Trek. The Talosians were a race of beings who had evolved to such an extent that they reached the point of causing near self extinction. Their mental powers were so great that they had mastered the art of creating illusions. As a result they fell prey to an easy lifestyle of generating illusions for entertainment and lost the ability or desire to strive for anything else. Pretty much they created mental television! If they had also created McDonald's they would have definitely been extinct much sooner.

I have learned (although late in life) that the path of least resistance often leads to more pain and suffering in the long run than the so called difficult path. This is a perfect analogy for a low carb primal lifestyle. Certainly the pain of illness and decrepitude involves much greater suffering and cost than the annoyance of eating healthy and getting some exercise. It is sometimes difficult to sacrifice a bit of immediate happiness to leverage the future. Keeping that in mind is the key.

274/219/150
    Last edited by jfrendek; 09-22-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Groktimus Primal's - The Scariest Thing

The Scariest Thing

I remember reading in the Blueprint Mark stating that perhaps the scariest single piece of information is the realization that you are on your own. Not many people know or will tell you the truth about food and of course most of us know that corporations and politicians can't be trusted.

When I think of how many years I wasted looking for a dieting solution it's safe to say I threw away if not the majority of my life then at least the best years. Then I stop and think about all the other people all over the world who have basically had their kneecaps broken by the self serving lies of special interest groups.

It may well be time to return to our past and maybe even implement some sort of population control. It sounds extreme but I wouldn't want to be born into a world that is intent upon slowly poisoning me to death for as long as I manage to live.

The thing that struck terror into me when I finally understood what was happening is the brainwashing of children. I did at a reasonable age learn that certain foods/products were not healthy but I did not know enough to help with my addiction to carbs.

To a child in today's world they learn through osmosis from their environment and experience what is "normal". If you grew up being bombarded with junk food commercials and eating junk then you believe it is normal and don't really think to question it until you are older and in deep crap.

Teach the children well and don't have too many seem to be the best ideas to me. Just like religion, they get them while they are young otherwise you would never believe such tall tales once you reach adulthood without the proper "conditioning".

274/219/150
    Last edited by jfrendek; 09-23-2011 at 07:11 AM.

Groktimus Primal's - Natural Selection

Groktimus Primal's - Natural Selection

The thought had crossed my mind when viewing life competitively (such as seeking employment) but it never really sank in until Mark said the Primal Blueprint could be classified as an elitist diet because we are all still competing for survival by hunting and gathering the best this overpopulated world still has to offer.

Knowing that, I guess it would make sense and be highly profitable for money hungry corporations to corner the market of food production and misdirect us at every turns so we don't even understand what good food is so we can not properly seek it out even if it was affordable.

If you can keep people weak, poor and uneducated (especially without them realizing it) you certainly have a winning combination if selfish gain is all you desire. Natural selection only changes form it does not go away. Perhaps it would with a truly enlightened race which I doubt humanity will ever achieve. (we don't seem to be trying very hard. I guess it's not "profitable").

It's especially bad when our own genetics are used as a weapon. Food companies know what is addictive (just like big tobacco) and they use this to ensnare us. By the time we figure it out we are forty years old and sucking eggs. (or a "downer cow" as Mark would say)

Mark's recent link to Cracked.com's food posting talked about them using wood pulp in muffins. My grandmother use to eat Hollywood diet bread which contained sawdust! The truly scary thing is that this is probably one of the relatively good additives. It most likely acts as fiber and does not get absorbed rather than being toxic or adding non-nutritive calories.

New or old, snake oil is snake oil and it's always been around just perhaps not in high quantity. I am not looking forward to living in the third world country American is becoming.

274/217/150

Groktimus Primal's - Primal Pets

Groktimus Primal's - Primal Pets

As I began applying Primal consideration (on top of the low carb consideration) to my diet a thought occurred to me. The cat was screaming for food as he does every ten minutes all though he is certainly fed too much as it is. It then occurred to me that the dog lives to eat and is fighting a weight problem he does not want to win. Everyone (I think) takes for granted that all pets are pigs by nature and many will eat until they puke if given the chance. I instantly thought that the food manufactures are probably taking advantage of "dumb" animals and ignorant owners by doing the same thing to them that they do to us. Namely feeding them a bunch of empty carbs to produce a cheap product that would then set the pets up on the same blood sugar roller coaster and drive them to eat voraciously every chance they get. As far as I know pet foods have almost no regulations. I don't think they even have to tell you what it's composed of. I certainly know the corporations aren't going to look after an animal's best interest if they don't bother to do that for humans.

I googled Primal Pets and came back with this link...

Primal Pet Foods: Wholesome Raw Food for Dogs and Cats

I am not affiliated with the company nor have I tried it's products but I would love to hear from someone who has. I suspect we will find pets are in the same boat we are with even less people advocating for them. Most people probably haven't even given it a thought. We are taught pets are suppose to eat "pet food" just like Milk, Juice, Toast and Trix are part of a complete breakfast for those who wish a slow fat death!

274/217/150

Groktimus Primal’s – The New Book

Groktimus Primal’s – The New Book

As all devote followers know Mark is coming out with a new book on October 18th called The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation. Like most everything he writes I’m sure it will be fantastic and include enough new insights and colorful writing to make it worth reading even if you have practically memorized his other works. I will certainly buy it (in Kindle format) to both read and support Mark’s efforts.

As Mark said himself this book is likely to become a best seller and bring Primal eating into the limelight. This is good, not just good but great obviously so why am I bothering to write this? Well you see I have been here before. I had success with the Atkin’s diet and I managed a GNC and I saw all the products and the people succeeding. I also saw a lot of people who thought they were following the diet but weren’t and a lot of products that claimed to be compatible with the diet but really were just taking advantage of people.

I thought for a while that the truth would set you free and people would learn by seeing the high success rate and telling one another about it. Unfortunately, accept for the relatively few unbrainwashable people who quietly continued to enjoy a hard fought truth the conventional wisdom hammered away at it and Doctor Atkin’s passed away and the quick buck companies stopped smelling blood in the water and many of the products and services disappeared.

This will happen with the Primal diet as well for the following reasons… Conventional wisdom is so well funded. The corporations do not make money if they do not create processed food. Like most things of value, good food costs more than eating the cardboard box does, but eating the cardboard box does not make it food. Nutrition can be confusing, especially if confusion is the goal. Our government is bought and paid for. They will not tell you to stop eating anything that profits the industry even though it is the people and the farmers they should be worried about. If we do not have good food, water and air nothing else matters. Who worries about being late to work while having a heart attack?

I don’t enjoy sounding gloomy (well sometimes maybe) but it’s not all bad. There is still plenty of good that can be done via grassroots movements just don’t expect it to ever become the conventional wisdom. If it does then there is a good chance it may be wrong too! I enjoyed the Atkin’s heyday but I was depressed when society turned away from it and started shoving not just carbs but processed carbs back down everyone’s throats. You will find the people in-the-know will stick to it no matter what anyone may say but those folks that were just looking for a new “diet religion” to save them from “obesity hell” who have a half-assed approach will quickly cave. They might as well pick up some Frankenberry cereal now.

I must admit both with Primal and low carb knowledge it crossed my mind that perhaps I would rather the “secret” not get out. I know it’s selfish but as Mark said we are competing in the world and due to the laws of supply and demand suppose we found that what little edible food is left was no longer attainable except by the rich? Luckily or unluckily it seems most people have little conviction and almost ask to be lied to. I was a poor GNC salesperson because I could not tell people what they wanted to hear which was basically… “Yeah, just take these pills I have right here for $39.99 and the pounds will melt off!” When the truth is health/weight loss doesn’t come from a bottle and if it did I would have sold out at any price and the FDA would have shut me down the next week for selling something “dangerous” to the “dumb” general public.

Let’s end on a happy note, even though the truth will not set you free it is damn near impossible to completely kill. The opposition will always have to use suppression and distraction tactics because their arguments have little foundation. To me nature is the closest thing to a one true God and he/she/it cannot by definition be wrong.

274/218/150

Groktimus Primal's - The Worst Time to Shop

Groktimus Primal's - The Worst Time to Shop

Why that would be 7-Eleven!

I have read Mark's writing in which he referenced seeing the world through a "primal lens". Even though I have been off real junk food for many years I had the misfortune of visiting a 7-Eleven recently because my girlfriend loves big fountain drinks and her mom loves coffee. It had been so long since I set foot in one I was surprised by my own horrific reaction.

Let me explain...

While she was getting the drinks I amused and educated myself by browsing the store. I have been in that store and many convenience stores over the course of my life but it was almost like I had landed on an alien planet. Between what I had learned and how long I had "been clean" the place knocked my sensibilities senseless.

First I noticed all the unnaturally bright packaging attempting to lure in anyone who wasn't blinded by the spectacle. Next I noticed the pastries/donuts near the coffee island. It's like an episode of consumer "Survivor". Then I saw the "Neon Sugar Slush" known as Slurpee's and the enormous cup sizes. I then surveyed the vast array of chips, candies, soda, energy drinks (very prominent), nuts, jerky, power bars and the lifeless sandwiches containing small quantities of processed meat with very little vegetation and huge buns. Small amounts of basic fruit, yogurt and cheese were nearby. Want some trail mix? I hope you like M&M’s and/or Chex Mix grain based products with that.

Another scary element near the gum and candy filled register was the food bar where you can purchase hotdogs, cheeseburger dogs?!?, Nachos with Cheez Wiz and probably salmonella. Of course the tobacco and girlie mags are still available behind the counter. Not that I have a problem with the girlie mags

I took note that the very few items that might be eaten as a last resort were intentionally contaminated. Fruits are coated if not served in a sugar solution, meat is processed, power bars are high in sugar even if they claim to be low carb. I'm still trying to wrap my head around a cheeseburger dog rotating for hours on end like a typical hotdog. I didn’t think the immortal hotdogs were scary enough did you? I think if you were truly screwed and had no other real choice to grab something to eat and you weren’t in a position to just seize the opportunity to fast you would have to eat something like this…

Bottled water
    Beef Jerky (always somewhat contaminated)
    Cheese sticks
    Apple / Orange (coated)
    Maybe a salad if you were fortunate enough to find one that isn’t too sad (yeah that’ll happen)

Does Mark offer a Damage Control Formula for a diet that has been devastated? To add a little additional insult a store like that is terminally over priced to start with. The price of convenience is higher than ever! I guess we are just lucky that booze, gambling and prostitution are not available too. We could bring down mankind with a one-stop-shop. Gas might just be the most useful and sometimes more affordable thing they sell. The next time you set foot in one of these places do so consciously and have the same experience I did. Who would think there was so much to write about from a store I didn’t even make a purchase in. I guess my not making a purchase is somewhat the point!

Organic, free range, grass fed, rotating cheeseburger dog anyone?

3… 2… 1… Soapbox dismount complete!

274/218/150

Groktimus Primal’s – I have a secret

Groktimus Primal’s – I have a secret

Don’t get too excited it’s the same secret you already know. Living Primal is the key to a happy, healthy life within your genetic capabilities. The sad truth is that while vast improvements are possible (and even likely) there aren’t nearly as many supermen as there are Clark Kent’s. The funny thing about a secret is everyone wants to know it but then almost no one wants to accept it. I think the reasons for this may be…

- A jaded mindset from so much incorrect and conflicting information
    - People do not want to give up their addictive substances (i.e. bread et al)
    - Laziness
    - Low intelligence
    - Low self esteem

Telling someone to give up their daily bread is often like Doctor Drew telling Jeff Conaway to give up narcotics. It just ain’t happening! (until his demise unfortunately)

274/217/150

Primal Topic - Selling the Value

Primal Topic - Selling the Value

That's the title of a class they are having where I work.

When did life become a dirty shell game? I love money as much as anyone else but I don't sit around trying to stick it to the guy next to me all day.

Like Mark says take care of yourself so you can enjoy life (play). Everyone's heard the eat to live, not live to eat philosophy. To me this translates into make money to live, not live to make money. I think we have really lost sight of this in our consumer driven economy and oh boy Christmas is coming! (in October so it appears)

Somehow we crowned money king and now it rules us.

Sometimes I wonder what global greedy conspiracy helped foster that or if it truly is our base nature. Perhaps we will someday flip from the me..me..me... more...more...more... to a more enlightened evolved altruism. Even if we are still evolving in any meaningful way I'm not holding my breath. I'm not even sure that would be a survival strategy. I have struggled all my life to see the forest for the trees. In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king

In my last post I stated I was not willing to sacrifice today for a better tomorrow unless said sacrifice was clearly livable and worthwhile judged by my own standards. I suppose that's common sense and the question has always been where to draw the line. A friend once told me that doing the right thing is often easy but knowing what that is, is nearly impossible!

One of the more disturbing things seems to be the proportion of scams to reasonable offers. When I was younger there were actual ads that had value. Now everything is a $19.95 late night TV deal kind of worthless thing. It seems there is almost no room for an honest offer.

If someone tries to sell me one more thing I'm gonna.... * BOOM *

274/218/150
    Last edited by jfrendek; 10-05-2011 at 10:31 AM.