Page 5 of 81 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Groktimus Primal's Experience page 5

jfrendek is offline Senior Member

Groktimus Primal’s – Adipose for breakfast

Shop Now
    Groktimus Primal’s – Adipose for breakfast

I have always heard the Conventional Wisdom that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I never knew if it were true partially because I don’t (and haven’t since I was a child) eat breakfast. I always figured that if I wasn’t hungry I damn sure wasn’t going to eat and breakfast was always the one time of the day that I was never hungry. Later in life I learned about fasting and discovered why I wasn’t hungry which of course was due to my small fast during the night which evened out my blood sugar.

Recently in my Primal reading I came across a comment someone made. When asked what they ate for breakfast they said “My own adipose and hepatic glycogen”. I thought this was one of the greatest statements I’d ever heard. I have been doing this for years and I believe it has served me more than hurt me. I also believe everyone is different but still quite similar overall.

274/216/150

Groktimus Primal’s – Wheat Belly

Groktimus Primal’s – Wheat Belly

I’m half way through the book Wheat Belly and I am very pleased. I was afraid the author had simply jumped on the Paleo or Low Carb band wagon with a “me too” book but that is most certainly not the case. The book is fresh and educating and the author Dr. William Davis is both engaging, humors and rarely rye… I mean dry

The book addresses the history of wheat and all the cutting edge science that pretty well proves that much like Mark Sisson said, wheat is only better than starvation. He points out that wheat will rock your blood sugar even harder than table sugar. I had heard this before but it still blows my mind. He even tells you why it does so, because it has a “special” type of sugar in it.

The genetic modifications to wheat are ridiculous. It almost goes to show that if you tweak a plant for quantity you will definitely forego some quality. A good example being that wheat has saved much of the world from hunger but has damaged the health of many in the process.

Problems with wheat…

-Irritants
    -Allergens
    -Anti-nutrients
    -Endorphin like, addictive substances
    -Instant blood sugar overload
    -Acid balance
    -Fatty acid profile
    -Autoimmune causing

It is likely that the rise in allergy and autoimmune disorders are largely caused by wheat and leaky gut syndrome.

274/217/150

Groktimus Primal’s – Sleeping Grok Style

Groktimus Primal’s – Sleeping Grok Style

Sleeping Grok style quite unintentionally I might add. I had been sleeping on a waterbed. Yes, that was probably the last one in existence and now it’s extinct but it was comfortable. As you might guess the bed sprung a leak that did not seem patchable and the painful saga began…

We rented a pump and emptied the mattress. We did have a spare waterbed mattress but we were both so sick of dealing with water issues that we decided to throw an air mattress in the waterbed frame until we could get a real mattress. This sounded reasonable but the first one we bought was too tall and returning it stressed both the policies and intelligence of Wal-Mart not to mention our patience.

Once we had the new air mattress all was well for about 1 day and then it started mysteriously deflating without a visible leak. So we ordered a “mattress in a box” from Amazon and picked up some egg-shell foam and frequently pumped up the mattress. Even so we still wake up essentially sleeping on wood. To my surprise it did not cripple me. I does make me a little sore and I can’t wait for the new permanent mattress to arrive but my body has accepted “the cave floor” sleeping system much better than I would have ever believed without having had to live through it.

Grok had it rougher but no doubt adapted and never knew what a Sealy Posturepedic was.

274/216/150

Groktimus Primal’s – Almonds and headaches

Groktimus Primal’s – Almonds and headaches

Now that my diet is pretty cut and dry I’m starting to wonder if I’ve uncovered a food intolerance to almonds. At some point I realized I was getting one of my semi-debilitating headaches every Wednesday. Tuesday is typically the day I get tired of macadamia nuts and down some almond butter. I don’t get immediate ill effects but it is the only consistent change I can nail down and then Wednesday I have my all day headache. It’s ironic that some say almonds help cure headaches. It’s all just speculation at this point but I’m definitely going to experiment with it.

274/215/150

roktimus Primal’s – Headaches 2

Groktimus Primal’s – Headaches 2

Well the almonds may not be the problem. I skipped them and had yet another day long “Wednesday” headache. My life is so cookie cutter it’s hard to imagine what else it could be. The only other thing I can think of is my hydration level. I usually eat more salt on the weekend and it seems my water weight bottoms out on Wednesday. We all know that eating low carb is a natural diuretic so perhaps my hydration swing is enough to trigger a headache. Sort of a “salt hangover” maybe? Why are things that should be so simple so complex and painful?

Time to stop bitching and take some Excedrin!

274/215/150

Groktimus Primal’s – The Price is Gripe

Groktimus Primal’s – The Price is Gripe

I am so tired of living in a second rate cheap ass world. I know the arguments that eating Primal is an investment that may save your life as well as significant suffering and medical costs but I am so sick of real food costing as much as a luxury item. I realize that there are ways to save money and cut corners that are acceptable but here is my latest example…

I remembered buying macadamia nut butter back when I was doing Atkins and I looked for some in the little overpriced specialty store that use to carry it and the closest thing I could find was macadamia and cashew butter mixed with additives. It appears even if you might be willing to be robbed it is not an easy option. Cashews might be Primal but they are probably the highest carb content of any nut thus ruining the macadamia nut butter for me (even though I like cashews) but of course the price was still astronomical!

I found some for sale on Amazon at $15 a jar and we are only talking an 8 oz. jar here. Macadamia products are one of the worst price examples I know but at today’s prices with unemployment and under employment the norm the world is practically shoving the Twinkies down your throat. I know where there is a thrift store/outlet where I could get cup cakes really cheap but something healthy, forget about it.

If the government is going to subsidize or encourage anything it should only be real, unadulterated food not frankenfood and junk products. Well I feel slightly better now J

274/216/150

Groktimus Primal’s – Tribal Reunion

Groktimus Primal’s – Tribal Reunion

My class reunion is this weekend. It’s an oddball 25 year deal. It’s hard to say why I am bothering to go. Perhaps the common suffering we all experienced together draws me back. I was never overly social or popular and I know I may not remember many from my class even with various jolts to my memory. I have nothing to be overly proud or ashamed of to show for myself.

Maybe the pull of the tribe is built in to us. Also I wonder if I will even live to see another one.

274/215/150

Groktimus Primal’s – Thanksgiving

Groktimus Primal’s – Thanksgiving

Another eating holiday is upon us. I’m so glad I’ve finally reached the point where that doesn’t bother me. I’ll be at work most of the day anyway. I will have healthy options of turkey, carrots and turnip. Even the carrots and turnips are a bit unusually for me because they are more on the starchy side than I usually eat but I know I can handle them once in a while. I’ll add some cheese and nuts as well as a couple of Atkin’s bars for desert. I try to be primal but the low carb issue is at the forefront of my success. All my family and friends know that I’m a wackado so there will be no questions.

274/215/150

Groktimus Primal’s – A1C Test Results

Groktimus Primal’s – A1C Test Results

Let me start off by saying that I was never diagnosed with diabetes but I have known that I am very sugar sensitive and I have been at risk for years. Due to the lame nature of my job and insurance as well as a more than adequate dose of cowardness I avoid going to the doctor. Yes, yes I know I may win the Darwin award some day but that is for another post. I also hate many other aspects of seeking medical care including the drugs, bad diet advice and constant appointments.

When it comes to medicine for better or worse I’m one of those “do it yourself” kind of guys until something blows me out of the water. This being the case I decided to check my HbA1C with a home test to see if I was slipping into diabetes. I did this many years ago and if I remember correctly I got the same result of 5.7. Years ago this was a normal result but by today’s standards the ADA calls it pre-diabetes and lumps me in the “at risk” category. It’s a little scary but I guess it’s not telling me anything I didn’t know. I had hoped for better after more than a year of primal low carb but from what I gather as long as you can stay under 6 you’re not screwed and mine has been 5.7 for many years.

I can only hope that if I stay on the straight and narrow that I might be able to avoid my brother’s fate of full on diabetes. I think I’d have a great deal of trouble dealing with that medically, psychologically and financially.

274/215/150

Groktimus Primal's - Post Thanksgiving

Groktimus Primal's - Post Thanksgiving

I have my eating down to such a science that I enjoyed Thanksgiving and stayed the same weight the next day. I normally eat meat and vegetables anyway so I just ate turkey and vegetables (just the less starchy ones) and it turned into just another beneficial meal. I love it when a plan comes together. A good nights sleep and no "food hangover".

274/215/150

Page 5 of 81 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast