Page 3 of 81 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Groktimus Primal's Experience page 3

jfrendek is offline Senior Member

Groktimus Primal’s – Something Fishy

Shop Now
    Groktimus Primal’s – Something Fishy

While “Something Fishy” could certainly fit many topics I wanted to address the use of fish oil supplementation. This seems to be the one bullet-proof supplement everyone agrees on and you never see anything negative published about it. The only people who shouldn’t take it appear to be those on blood thinners or scheduled for impending surgery.

The main reason people take fish oil is due to the protective cardio vascular properties that prevent heart attacks and stroke by keeping the blood vessels flexible and the blood from clotting easily. I suspect it’s as beneficial as an aspirin a day or better. Our brains contain a high percentage of the Omega 3 healthy fats found in fish oil. I think most everyone who does not eat a high quantity of cold water fish should certainly be taking this readily available, fairly economical supplement. It is supposed to ease inflammation as well and we are learning that is the root of all evil.

I generally take 6 of the pills a day. You often hear 3 pills recommended but I’m a big guy who does not eat seafood (only because I don’t care for it). Doctor Atkin’s did warn if you take too much it could oxidize and essentially go rancid within you. So far my skin has improved as well as my overall health and I seem no more rancid than usual. It does not cause me any reflux or indigestion.

Some of the more interesting things I’ve heard regarding fish oil are…

In the book The Forever Young Diet the authors explain how trans fat mimics healthy fat in the body but does not perform the same way. Arteries that soak up the trans fat instead of the omega fats become brittle and you can guess the rest. They said if the cold water fish that swim in the Arctic Ocean contained trans fat rather than the healthy fats they would be unable to swim at such cold temperatures because they would literally be as stiff as a board. I can’t vouch for the accuracy of the information but it certainly is eye opening food for thought.

Here is something that I find laughable. I once saw an ad that bashed Garelick Farms because they were adding fish oil to the milk. At the time I knew fish oil was suppose to be good for you and I also never noticed any foul taste from Garelick Farms milk but I must say it did turn me off a bit. Knowing what I know now I applaud the move. It just goes to show that information is power and many people in the food industry would rather keep that power to themselves. It must be easier to convince the blind to follow you than it is for those who can see the cliff in front of them. That is the closest thing I’ve ever seen to someone dogging on fish oil.

I tend to buy mine cheap in bulk wherever I find it and it seems to be working for me. I would like to buy Mark’s but it’s more than twice the price and I like to take extra. I’m not knocking his product however. I do put more trust in him and the quality could very well be worth the money. If was a big shot in the world I would be on the Platinum Plan autoship program and attending Primal Cons. Alas my security pay check and commitments keep me from “Grokking On” to the extent I would like. I guess part of being Primal is handling life’s challenges in a dynamic fashion.

Once again the older generation was right. They may not have been able to tell you the science behind it but they did know enough to shove cod liver oil down your throat!

274/219/150

Groktimus Primal’s – The Best Policy

Groktimus Primal’s – The Best Policy

Is honesty the best policy? I use to have a French teacher that ended his class by saying “Remember, crime pays”. This added to his popularity immensely. He said it jokingly but he once stated that is was mathematically true when you analyzed crime statistics.

Recently my credit card company detected fraudulent charges on my credit card. They did this almost instantly and called me. I keep a close eye on it myself so I was quite impressed that they found it first. I’ve used the card for years and never had a problem. I try to be prudent with it but in today’s world fraud is the fastest growing crime and how prudent can you be when credit has practically replaced cash? The false charges were for advertising on Craigslist. I will not even do business with Craigslist because in my opinion as Obi Wan once said “You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy”. I do not believe they should be shut down or over regulated; it’s just my personal choice not to risk transactions there. Although I’m a little worried I think it’s going to be alright. From what I am told this type of thing happens a lot and it usually doesn’t turn into a horror show.

Can you image what thievery was like in Primal times? You either got caught or you didn’t because virtual crimes did not exist and neither did detectives. If you did get caught stealing it must have been a case of the fastest/strongest wins the day. I suppose tight knit tribes may have imposed some sort of group justice officiated over by the leader but I’ll bet it was often not so organized. I think I know where the expression an eye-for-eye came from

274/218/150

Groktimus Primal’s – Are you ready?

Groktimus Primal’s – Are you ready?

Are you ready to ride the wave and see Mark’s face on all the talk shows and news? Unfortunately this will also mean that he will instantly be targeted by the paid representatives of the food and health industries. Be prepared for bad parodies, half truths and many things taken out of context. It will be sound bite hell not seen since the days of Doctor Atkins.

Suddenly everyone who does not jump on the bashing bandwagon will be interested in becoming Primal. We will see packages of cupcakes with cavemen on them and dinosaurs up the wazoo. Mark will become a star and those that are not trying to shoot him down will be trying to ride his coattails saying “Me too! Me too!”. Be sure to tell everyone you were Primal before it was cool.

Most of this thanks to the new book which you can help make a best seller and get some great stuff as well. Head on over to Primal Toad and let the Primal Toad give you instructions to both give and receive. (I did) The info is now on MDA as well but the Toad put it up first.

When the dust settles people will have gone back to their Pop Tarts we will still be here and healthy and no one will notice because that does not make for a good controversial sound bite

I will read his book soon. I would read it immediately but I am in the middle of “You are your own gym”. I started reading that while I was waiting for Mark’s book to be released. I also recommend it. I’m sure Mark’s book will be good to say the least. I might make an attempt at a review but it probably won’t be necessary. I do want to hear some feedback about it though.

274/217/150

Groktimus Primal’s – I have a secret

Groktimus Primal’s – I have a secret

Don’t get too excited it’s the same secret you already know. Living Primal is the key to a happy, healthy life within your genetic capabilities. The sad truth is that while vast improvements are possible (and even likely) there aren’t nearly as many supermen as there are Clark Kent’s. The funny thing about a secret is everyone wants to know it but then almost no one wants to accept it. I think the reasons for this may be…

- A jaded mindset from so much incorrect and conflicting information
    - People do not want to give up their addictive substances (i.e. bread et al)
    - Laziness
    - Low intelligence
    - Low self esteem

Telling someone to give up their daily bread is often like Doctor Drew telling Jeff Conaway to give up narcotics. It just ain’t happening! (until his demise unfortunately)

274/217/150

Groktimus Primal’s – 21 Day Book Review on Amazon

Groktimus Primal’s – 21 Day Book Review on Amazon

This is my Amazon review. Please leave one yourself to aid Mark.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Shelf, October 20, 2011
    By James F. Rendek - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation: A step-by-step, gene reprogramming action plan (Paperback)

Simply put, Mark Sisson's writings are always worth the time and the dime. As long as he doesn't sellout he may be mankind's greatest hope. After reading his writing I conclude (although it has scientific validation) that it is mostly common sense but I needed him to help me see it. It's like someone who was previously blind being given sight. The little things you don't think about (or think about in the wrong context) make all the difference in life. We are warped starting from birth in a consumer driven economy that only values information that leads to profit, not truth or health. Even Doctors are in the same boat. Read it, open your mind and become a better specimen!

274/218/150

Groktimus Primal’s – Must Serve Vaal

Groktimus Primal’s – Must Serve Vaal

Do you remember the Star Trek episode titled “The Apple”? The natives blindly served and fed their God Vaal which was really a computer that looked like some sort of prehistoric monster head formed from the mouth of a cave. The natives fed Vaal fruit and heeded Vaal’s every word and lived in peace and harmony because Vaal did all the thinking and directing. It was a play on paradise and the Garden of Eden. The natives were basically stuck in time. They never moved on but were also safe, happy and did not regress. They knew no other way of life. Kirk had no choice but to destroy Vaal because it was holding them prisoner. This caused some regret because despite being essentially slaves to a machine in many ways it was paradise. Star Fleet also had the Prime Directive which disallowed any interference with developing worlds but it was decided that they were stagnating rather than developing anyway.

Kirk finally destroyed Vaal by preventing the natives from feeding it. As Vaal begins to “starve” he no longer has enough energy to fend off the Enterprise’s phasers. The natives are left confused and frightened since for the first time they are left without guidance and must learn to live on their own. Kirk promises that they will be taught to fend for themselves, to live and move forward without being dominated and this is how the episode ends on a positive but mixed note.

After going Primal I jokingly thought that perhaps they could have whipped up some High Fructose Corn Syrup and shoved it down Vaal’s throat like they try to do with us. Then they could just wait for untreated diabetes to kill Vaal. I guess they didn’t have that many years to watch Vaal suffer and decay before the slow poisoning did it’s work.

274/219/150

Groktimus Primal’s – Paleo Magazine

Groktimus Primal’s – Paleo Magazine

I found Paleo Magazine thanks to a user’s journal posting here. I subscribed and even ordered the two back issues I would have missed. It is true that most (if not all) of the magazine content can be gleaned online with a little searching and elbow grease but I must say it was really well done and it was terrific to have such a traditional, well crafted document to spoon feed me my Paleo info any place, any time I care to pick it up.

Environmental issues aside I think there is still a place in the world for physical information products. I believe it was worth the price of admission and we should support Paleo ventures where we can. Mark might call it voting with your dollars. The farmers markets, supermarkets and informational products seem like a good place to start. I am in no way affiliated with them so I am not schilling for anyone.

I wish Mark would make a DVD seminar/exercise video available. I know he has the Primal Leap but at $200 bucks it is a bit much and I would be repeat-purchasing some of the kit contents. I’d like to see more of him in action even though it’s not mandatory since he makes the information available in other ways. It doesn’t seem very likely I’ll find the time or money to go to a live event but I’m jonsing for more.

Paleo Magazine - Modern Day Primal Living

274/217/150

Groktimus Primal’s –Minimalist Footwear

Groktimus Primal’s –Minimalist Footwear

Strangely enough, one of the most intriguing products surrounding the Primal lifestyle is footwear. Considering I have been heavy most of my life and flat footed all of my life I already had an interest in “good” shoes. At one point I even wore “special” shoes as a child. I discovered getting made fun of is what really made them special!

I was taught like most people that a good shoe was about support, support and more support (a cast). Almost like a mattress (another topic) that the more it hurt the better it must be. When I look for a mattress now I do not look to emulate the cave floor. I don’t think a poor night’s sleep would benefit my back very much.

After learning about Primal living it seems like common sense that for most people going as close to barefoot as one safely can is the way to go. I am dying to try one of these products but I have too many reasons I know it isn’t right for me…

- - Heavy
    - - Flat footed
    - - Work long hours, only certain footwear allowed
    - - Don’t like to be gawked at
    - - Don’t really spend too much time outside
    - - Live in New England (Winter is coming)
    - - I have been using walk-fits for years and they help
    - - Lastly, too damn lazy for laces (use slip-on mocs)
    - - My girlfriend would disown me

It also appalls me that the price of these shoes is so high. Perhaps material, fit and craftsmanship or engineering make them so expensive. It could also be that they are in a niche market or it could be human nature’s good old greed. After all they are not nearly as long lasting or as heavy duty as conventional shoes but the prices are still as high or higher. Are they charging me more to take the sugar out of my product again?

Someday I know I will give one a try though and I’m always interested to read what others have discovered.

274/218/150

Groktimus Primal’s – The Improbability Drive

Groktimus Primal’s – The Improbability Drive

Everyone’s heard the saying “too smart for your own good”. It got me thinking about the myriad of ways this is so true. You see a lot of it in the younger generation who are often quite sharp until it comes to the day to day decisions that seem obvious to those who have lived long enough to acquire common sense. I’ve heard the theory that risk taking is a way for the adolescent brain to remap itself into adult hood. I suppose if you never grow out of it the remapping may have failed

We have cell phones that rival the Sci-Fi communicators and produce enough food (even if it’s not so good) to feed the world and yet so many people starve. It’s almost as though for everything amazing there must be something equally daft to balance the scales. It reminds me of the Douglass Adam’s improbability drive. A spaceship engine that could take you anywhere instantly as long as something else equally improbable happened to compensate for it.

Are we just bored and looking to shake things up? Does evolution want us to think outside the box thus creating many idiots to supply one genius? Are our priorities (or the system we’ve chosen) just out of whack? Maybe we are like our genes and just reacting to basic stimulus without truly realizing the longevity of the entire organism is also at stake.

As a small being looking at world size issues (even superficially) I can now understand why my father told me he was “checking out of this world” at a good time.

274/218/150

Smile Groktimus Primal’s – Journal vs. Blog

Groktimus Primal’s – Journal vs. Blog

I really wish Mark would designate a section of the forum to Primal blogging like he does for journaling. I understand keeping a journal helps keep people aware and accountable. It also fosters ideas and illuminates patterns too.

The thing is, almost no one gives a rats ass what I had for breakfast or even if I ate breakfast. I don’t even care what my friends had for breakfast let alone perfect strangers. That’s why I use my journal as a blog. I don’t think Mark needs to worry about me or most anyone else competing with him. I also realize that there are plenty of good sites that will let you blog free of charge on any topic you like but let’s face it; MDA is the place to be in the Primal world. If you chose to blog elsewhere unless you are some sort of an expert or celebrity who’s going to read it? I’m not looking to be a writer or garner obscene amounts of attention but if I didn’t get any readership then what’s the point? I can talk to myself until they put me in the funny farm if that’s my goal but it’s pointless.

That’ my two macadamia nuts worth of input

274/217/150

Page 3 of 81 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast